Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,924) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Price for basic accommodation in Santa Teresa, Costa Rica?

in Santa Teresa , Costa Rica by @niklasmodess 8yr  | 0 comments

Hi!
Me and my girlfriend are planning on staying 1-3 months in Santa Teresa, starting in May. Does anybody know how much we can expect to pay in rent, and if there are any good places online to look for apartments? Or is it better to look for a place once weโ€™re there? So far weโ€™ve mostly found more upscale options online but we just need a place that is safe, clean and that has a kitchen. A small studio would be fine.
Any help with this would be appreciated!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place for Digital Nomad in Latin America?

by @rose_davis 4yr 4 years ago  | 7 comments

Hi!

I am planning to move to Latin America for 3-4 months (Oct-January). Iโ€™ve narrowed down 6 different places that I want to visit before committing to settling down, but Iโ€™d love to get some community input.

Here are the cities Iโ€™m considering:

• Quito, Ecuador
  • Cuenca, Ecuador
  • Medellin, Columbia
  • Cartagena, Columbia
  • Antigua, Guatemala
  • San Marcos La Laguna, Guatemala

The most important things Iโ€™m looking for:

• Fast/easily accessible internet
  • Easy to meet other nomads/make friends in general
  • Safe for women
  • Some sort of spiritual community (Iโ€™m also a yoga teacher)
  • Easily walkable city

Anyone have any experience with these places and can give some insight? Iโ€™m also completely open to other recommendations.

Thanks!
Rose

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Here is the itinerary of our trip to Costa Rica; what would you recommend?

in Costa Rica by @nomad4 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi everybody,

for those who read us in the past, we made some changes to our plan for this winter.
We decided for several reasons to postpone our trip to SEA, and decided to leave for a month in Costa Rica instead. Weโ€™ll still be travelling with our 2 kids and will need to work a little as well.

This is our itinerary for the month. 39

For those whoโ€™ve been there, how long do you think we should stay at each place?
We were planning roughly:

• 1 week in Tamarindo/Nosara
  • 2-3 nights in Monteverde
  • 2-3 night closer to the Arenal volcano
  • 2-3 night in Quepos
  • Uvita for undetermined period of time

Do you think thereโ€™s a place (among the ones we cited or else) we should consider to stay a little longer?

Magali and Guillaume

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where are the nomad hot spots in Central and South America?

by @jb510 5yr 5 years ago  | 106 comments

The last few years Iโ€™ve spent mostly in Asia (Thailand/Indonesia) and Europe (Spain/Italy), but I run a company in the US and need to coordinate with 10 US based employees and business partners. The time zone issues between EU/US and SEA/US are exhausting even if I love the locales.

Iโ€™d really like to try romping around the Americas for a while, but Iโ€™ve never been south of Baja California and really canโ€™t find much positive having been said about remotely working from CA/SA as a DN.

I know some hippy, surfer, artist, musician, yoga teacher types calling various locals home, but no one making a living onlineโ€ฆ more than a few people have told me itโ€™s fabulous down there until you go to Thailand/Bali and then you wonder why all those ExPats are suffering in CA/SA. Of course you only really know when you go yourself.

Iโ€™d love to see nomadlist.io get filled out with more details on Central and South American cities. It seems really sparse coverage at the moment, but maybe thatโ€™s simply because itโ€™s not good and no one stays there for long.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is there any good and safe coworking space with fast internet in Costa Rica?

in Costa Rica by @sven 5yr 5 years ago  | 7 comments

Everything is in the title.

Iโ€™m working on a big project so I will need fast internet (>15 mbps).
If itโ€™s close to the beach, it would be even better.

Thanks !!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any insurance covers pregnancy with a good price?

by @yuko 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

I will go on a working holiday to Berlin from this October.
Maybe I will fly to Romania, Poland, Hungary or Portugal after spending several months in Germany, if my budget will get tighter.

Iโ€™m considering Safetywing/.com for my insurance because it covers anywhere in the world with a good price. The problem is, German embassy requires females to sign an insurance covers medical cost for pregnancy for a working holiday visa.

People in my country write about Care College from Care Concept (care-concept/.de) , but I think itโ€™s valid only when youโ€™re in Germany.

I wonder if thereโ€™s any an add-on (free-plan) insurance for pregnancy.
Alternatively, an equivalent insurance with support of pregnancy, and same price range as Safetywing/.com.

Thank you!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Cheapest places to be a digital nomad in Latin America?

by @jfowler 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Hey guys โ€” Iโ€™m looking for the best cheap places to be a digital nomad in Central and South America. Priority list: 1) cheap 2) social 3) strong internet. Iโ€™m in debt and need to cut my cost of living as low as possible. But hey, I still have to live it up. THanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is carrying around my laptop in a backpack every day safe in South America?

by @skarabox 6yr 6 years ago  | 9 comments

Hello everyone, I usually carry my laptop in my day backpack, walk around the town in my home country (Poland) and work in coffee shops / shopping centers, other quiet places I find or like.

My question is, how would carrying around my laptop on myself every day around the town work in practice in those places in terms of safety in South America.

I prefer to travel by a city communication than taxis and like to walk around too, but my concern is that I will get blatantly robbed with a gun or knife in a side street and lose my whole backpack with a laptop.

If anyone living in those cities could share their experience about how likely this situation is to occur, as obviously being white and foreign will make me stand out in the first place.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone (almost) exclusively traveling in Latin America?

by @danielaf 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Is there anyone around who spends most of their time in Latin America? After short trips to Peru earlier this year, Iโ€™ve now come back to Lima to stay for another three months and will then head to Buenos Aires. Lima will be kind of my home base but I aim to explore as much as possible of Latin America in the next couple of years. No interest in Asia, Africa or North America and no intention to go back to Europe.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is it just me or are Airbnb prices getting way out of hand?

by @srg_b 7yr 7 years ago  | 37 comments

I had this impression for a while now, but now it seems impossible to find a monthly stay over airbnb for a decent price. Just now I was looking at Utrecht which averages at 2500 euro per month for a studio. People seem to provide only small monthly discounts. In my last few trips I relied on Facebook groups for finding stay. I do have decent budget but paying โ‚ฌ1500+ for a studio in a European city simply seems ridiculous. How is everyone else finding accommodation?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best surf spots in California or South America?

in Cali , Colombia by @rynesweeney 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

I am currently living in Medellin until February. I want to find some of people favorite spots for surfing and community. I have heard Nicaragua and Guatemala have many options.

Multiple one month or more stays in countries below the US (CA, SA, Caribbean as all?). Spanish isnโ€™t a problem. Safety, internet, and surf are priorities. Ive heard good things about Panama and CR but they amount of gringos currently in these places is sort of a turn off (Im a gringoโ€ฆbut that is my preference). Budget is sub $1500/month.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Ryne

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any tips for nomad'ing from Tanzania to South Africa?

in South Africa by @tylertringas 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi nomads! Iโ€™m headed to Tanzania in mid-July and working my way down to Cape Town over about 2.5 months. Itโ€™s my first time in the region. Any tips or warnings for typical nomad concerns in Tanzania, Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique and South Africa?

Iโ€™m anticipating worse than usual wifi speed but any tips on connectivity would be great.

What are the best sites or strategies for accommodation? I usually use Airbnb, hostelworld or booking.com and target guesthouses in the $50/night or cheaper range. Is that realistic?

Most importantly what should we do?! Iโ€™ve already research the obvious highlights: Kilimanjaro, Serengeti, Zanzibar, Victoria Falls, etc. Any off the beaten path things to do and/or good spots to post up for a few weeks and enjoy/work?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a budget accommodation in Seoul for 1-3 month?

in Seoul , South Korea by @poppyjikko 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Maybe some of you know good tips ?

Thank you for helping.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any recommendation on accommodations in Cape Town?

in Cape Town , South Africa by @danielletom 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hey guys,

Iโ€™m looking at heading to Cape Town in February/March. I am looking for a long term accomodation for about three months. I checked out GumTree and StayinCapeTown, but I was wondering if you had any more reccomendations on where to look! Airbnb is quite expensive and sparse.

Also, I would love to know your favourite areas in the city and hear about your experiences :slight_smile:

Thanks !

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find short term accommodation in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @kathrynoh 7yr 7 years ago  | 12 comments

Iโ€™m planning on 6 weeks in Chiang Mai soon and most of the stuff Iโ€™ve read about finding a place there says the best thing to do is to look in person. Considering the short time Iโ€™m there, I would prefer to prebook to say a couple of days of apartment hunting.

I was wondering about the options for short(ish) term accommodation and if pre-booking is worthwhile or if Iโ€™ll just get fobbed off with the worst room/apartment available.

Iโ€™m just looking for something basic - so long as it has air conditioning. Having a work space would be a definite advantage as would closeness to coffee. Other than that, things like a pool, gym, kitchen arenโ€™t that important to me.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What alternatives are there for bad WiFi in Latin America?

by @ryanleonard1989 7yr 7 years ago  | 10 comments

Hey gang, Iโ€™ve traveled pretty extensively through Central America and was recently in Colombia.

I love Latin America and want to continue to travel/work here, but internet connectivity is a constant issue. Hostel wifi is always hit or miss and when it does work, itโ€™s often slow or thereโ€™s no convenient place to work.

Cafes are even worse most of the time.

Iโ€™ve tried local sim cards with data and sometimes that works well, but skype calls eat the data right up and in many locations, the speeds are slow.

Iโ€™m willing to pay more for more reliable internet, but I havenโ€™t found anythingโ€ฆ

Wondering what most of you fine folks do and if anyone has any suggestions.

Also, what are some alternatives to hostels?

I know you can use AirBnB, but the locals jack the prices up on there (if youโ€™re in an area you can find anything on AirBnB). Apartment rentals can be found pretty inexpensively, but I like to stay moving and usually donโ€™t want to stay somewhere for even a month.

On top of all this, I like to surf and the coastal towns tend to be the worst for wifi.

Iโ€™m a little frustrated and wondering if anyone has any suggestions I havenโ€™t thought of?

Admin edit: Fixed title to lessen ambiguity & to adhere to community guidelines.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads travelling south in South America?

by @christabeiia 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

Hola everyone from Colombia! I have recently landed in South America and am planning on making my way south from here over the next six months. I expect to only relocate on the weekends so I can keep my 9-5 wifi schedule, but other than that I have no real plans for destinations or timelines. Iโ€™d would like to meet other digital nomads to team up withโ€” Anyone on or beginning a similar path in this region?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Why is South East Asia preferred by nomads over Latin America?

by @oskar 8yr 8 years ago  | 34 comments

Hi guys

Why do you think south east asia attracts far more 1st world digital nomads and tourists than latin america does? i have some theories but i would like to know your opinions because most of the people in this forum are from 1st world countries :smile:
Is it because is cheaper? safer? closer? more โ€œcoolโ€ ?

thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is the internet in West/Central Africa?

by @wordmonkey 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

Soโ€ฆ common sense says that the best places to work are those with good, fast, stable WiFi connections. At the same time, the thing I like best about my location independence is the ability to spend long stretches of time in places I wouldnโ€™t normally get to spend much time in. So Iโ€™m determined to make West and Central Africa happen in 2017, specifically Benin, Togo, Senegal, Cote dโ€™Ivoire, Gabon, Rwanda and Congo-Brazzaville. (And a month off in the DRC, but the latter will just be an offline holiday.)

If anyone has any experience with the reliability of the Internet in the region and the availability of data SIM cards in any of the countries Iโ€™ve mentioned, Iโ€™d be super grateful about insights, tipps and heads-ups, AirBnB recommendations, et cetera. I know itโ€™s not going to be a fast, luxurious, spotless connection for most of the time, and thatโ€™s fine, I just need it to be mostly reliable, speed is secondary.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
489ms