Recommendations for the Balkans starting in April?

Hey Mandy,

I’ve been using Albania as a base for the past year and a half. I highly recommend it! Affordable, fascinating culture, and proximity to the EU and Asia are a few things that make it great. Plus as an American citizen you’ll have no visa issues for up to a year.

In April the weather will be great, a mild and warm Mediterranean climate. Infrastructure wise, Albania is not like the rest of Europe . But you’ll have no problem getting Internet at 5 MB speeds for a decent price. Plus the 10€ 3 GB vodafone package is great.

I’m in Shkoder, the largest city in the north. It’s a great small-city without the chaos and hectic atmosphere of Tirana.

I’d be happy to answer any questions you have. If you stop by, give me a shout and we can grab a coffee. I can introduce you to the local expat community and friendly locals.

1 Like

Hi Mandy,

If you are coming by Milan, Italy, let me know. We would love to show you around Talent Garden Milano, our digital coworking space.

Cheers,

Chiara

Thanks. I want to get to Milan at some point, I have a friend there. But on this trip I will only be in Rome. :slight_smile:

@wanderingdev Still planning on coming to the Balkans? Spring is finally here and when it’s not raining its absolutely gorgeous.

I just left Albania and I’m in Montenegro. Loving it! :slight_smile: I was actually in Shkoder. Sorry I didn’t review this thread earlier, I’d have met up with you for a coffee. next time!

Sounds like it’s all going well. I highly recommend the Bay of Kotor, and the towns along it in Montenegro. Just beautiful, and you can rent your own boat and sailor for an afternoon.

I spent 2 nights in Kotor. It was beautiful but freezing and the thought of being on the water was not enticing. But, as I make my way up the coast, I keep thinking how much fun I’ll have coming back when I get my boat. :smile:

How is Montenegro for wifi and meeting other nomads? How about summer weather there and in Albania? I got a big recommendation from a friend for Montenegro. Like Mandy, I will probably need to stay out of the Schengen area for 3 months this summer, but I actually haven’t tried Croatia or Bulgaria yet either. Any thoughts appreciated.

I was only in Kotor in Montenegro and the internet was usable but not high speed. Albania was similar. Summers in that region are HOT. Best internet I had was in Sarajevo and I really liked it there. I could live there a while. I also like Plovdiv Bulgaria.

Thanks. Good to know about the Internet. My plans just changed again and I probably wouldn’t head to the Balkans until Sept or Oct.

weather-wise, it’ll be probably better than high summer, but will be cool, especially in the evenings.

Glad you enjoyed Sarajevo @wanderingdev! There internet there is crazy fast :smile:
@suuzin I think I’ll bein the Balkans Sept/Oct, thinking one month in Split and then slowly working my way along the Albanian coast and hopping to Berat too. If you’re about, would love to meet up. Early autumn is the best time to be in the Balkans. The weather is still good and the sea is still warm, yet with far fewer tourists.

Does anyone have good costal, digital nomad friendly tips for Albania? AirBnB looks difficult outside of Shkodër.

Thanks, @hannahvictorius - sure, let’s keep in touch! I’ll update here again once I know my plans better. Cheers.

Hi guys :smiley: If you thinking about visiting Balkan I would definitely recommend Serbia and Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. It is amazing modern european city with strongest alternative culture and creative community in this part of Europe. It is set on a confluence of two rivers, magnificent Danube and Sava. Belgrade has rich history (it is one of the oldest european city, first settlement dates back to 4800 bc), it is interesting mix of eastern and western civilization and it has best night life . Belgrade probably has one of the best energy, you will love it. In a city you will find many coffe shops and they are always full of people. It is very cheap, people here live with 300 euros for month :smile: Wifi network is excellent. Also if you love food you will be amazed with Serbian cuisine. Kajmak, kulen, rakija, sarma are only few things you must try. And for the end the best thing about Serbia, serbian people! Everyone who visited Serbia was charmed by Serbian people, warm and helpful Serbs will do everything to make your experience of Serbia the best possible.

Also if you can you should definitely visit EXIT festival (officially best european music festival) and Guca

One video about Serbia and serbian food that you may like

and one with pictures that I like

Beside Serbia I would recommend Montenegro, especially Herceg Novi, Kotor and Budva and Bulgaria, Nessebar

Greece is already popular destination so I don’t need to say anything

1 Like
What are the nomad hotspots in Eastern Europe (outside Schengen)?

I can recommend Skopje or Ohrid in Macedonia. Great nature, low cost.

If you plan on staying in Sarajevo, drop me a line if you want, there are quite a few cool Co working spaces and lots to see. The Cuisine is simple but very delicious and it has a sprawling ecosystem in the works as well.

Hey Kenan,

I used to live there, it’s my favourite city. I’ll be there for at least a weekend or two this year, so will be sure to drop you a line. I’ve yet to use any of the coworking spaces as wifi is usually pretty good for my needs, and I love the cafe culture :slight_smile:

Pozdrav

Sarajevo is great! I visited it briefly last year and this year came back for a bit longer. Currently hanging around here. Anyone has tips for good places to work from?

1 Like

If you haven’t already discovered Meeting Point, I highly recommend it. It’s my favourite cafe for getting work done. Haven’t tried any of the co-working spaces yet though (I thin there are two).

Thanks for a tip! Haven’t discovered it yet. It will be the next cafe I go to.