Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,884) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Should we go to Bali or southern Thailand?

in Thailand by @danielgenser 9yr  | 22 comments

Greetings! This is my first post here. My wife and I are in our 30โ€™s, and Iโ€™m a UX Designer by trade. We will soon be putting our stuff in storage, moving out of our house, and hitting the road. I work remotely, so my job situation is fine for traveling for the time being.

We are planning our first stop. For our first stop, we are looking to go somewhere for a couple months to decompress (had some stressful personal events of late that we need time to deal with), do some studying, and reading โ€“ ideally in a beautiful, warm, healthy, relatively inexpensive place.

One major thing is that I have Type 1 Diabetes and have an insulin pump. While Iโ€™ll be loading up on pump supplies and insulin before I leave, it would be nice to be somewhere that has some medical facilities or access to pharmaceuticals.

The two main places weโ€™re considering for our first stop (March/April 2015) are Bali or south Thailand (been looking at Ko Lanta, Ko Samui, etc). Which of the two would you recommend? Iโ€™m especially interested in solid Internet service, as my job depends on it, as Iโ€™m sure you all can appreciate.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@floc 9yr

1 more thing to be aware of:

• The Andaman coast in Thailand (e.g. Ko Lanta) and most of mainland
    Thailand have summer monsoon.
  • Indonesia and the Gulf islands (e.g. Ko Samui) have winter monsoon
    Thatโ€™s why those 2 regions donโ€™t compete with each other, if you want to stay dry :wink:

March is just around the turning point, so if you wanna go to the west coast of Thailand, you should do that first before the rainy season starts. Then head over to a winter monsoon region, where the rainy season is just about to end.

Hereโ€™s a helpful tool for that kind of thing. Itโ€™s in German, but you will figure it out.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi,
Sure I get it. For the first stop, a beach close by is a big draw. Chiang Mai is fairly small with lots of useful stuff very close by and a great atmosphere. The Nimmamhaemin area is the main one cool area- bars cafรฉs, co-working etc. + the Old city. In and around Chiang Mai there is a ton of natural beauty and things to do ( trekking/ hot springs/ mountain retreats etc) which make it great for having weekends away doing something fun. Thereโ€™s loads going on here, but its not oppressive in any way.
Digital Nomad population is pretty high, so its good for networking and meeting similar types.

One for consideration for later Iโ€™d say. Youโ€™ll probably bump into people whoโ€™ve been here if you meet any nomads in Bali.

Congratulations on making your choice to head to SE Asia. Iโ€™m sure youโ€™ll have a great time wherever you head.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi,
I just want top chime in on the possibility of Chiang Mai, Thiland. If you are looking for everything except a beach then this place is definitely worth considering- quiet, great internet, surrounding beauty to die for, co-working spaces and a very digital nomad friendly atmosphere plus cheap and very easy to get settled.
Iโ€™m here twice a year and happy to answer any questions. I even have a friend here with a nice studio apartment which may be free when you are planning to travel.
If it doesnโ€™t fit your criteria right now, then fair enough, but Iโ€™ve had such a relaxing and easy time here, I just wouldnโ€™t want you to count it out- unless you really need a beach!!

Best of luckโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks @RyanChampion ! I think we will definitely end up checking out Chiang Mai at some point. One thing Iโ€™m liking about Bali, at least as our first stop, is that the beach isnโ€™t terribly far away if we want to take a day off for a beach day.

Is there a particular area of Chiang Mai that is particularly beautiful to check out?

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@james 9yr

Yep Daniel just turn up with a booking for 2-3 days, get a bike, ask around and explore for long term! Sounds like Lanta is exactly what you are looking for.

Glad to help.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@james 9yr

Hi Daniel, I can only speak about Koh Lanta, I have been a DN here for 6 years now - on and off. Itโ€™s a nice balance on the island, not too touristy, but developed just enough. You wonโ€™t find certain big name franchises there for instance. But everything you need.

By some odd coincidence there is a new Hub opened and one of the members actually had Type 1 Diabetes. She seemed very comfortable here and was around for a few months.

Itโ€™s a relatively undiscovered DN scene here, but the new hub (kohub.org) has 55Mb/s internet, back up electricity and is open 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi @James,

Thanks for the reply. I actually called Medtronic Minimed yesterday (the manufacturer of my insulin pump) to find out how they handle distribution outside the USA, and it looks like they have a Bangkok operation, so my mind is put at ease about getting access to pump supplies. Great to hear about the other Type 1 member at the new Hub who isnโ€™t having any issues there.

Iโ€™m curious โ€“ I saw a couple places in Old Town Koh Lanta on AirBnB that looked promising, but Old Town seems like it might be a bit further off the beaten track. I wonder if Internet service out there is any worse?

If you were to recommend an area to look in Koh Lanta where would you recommend?

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@james 9yr

Hi @DanielGenser.

Old Town is a bit out the way, lovely fishing village vibe though. The fibre has not reached that far yet and they rely on up/down over shared ADSL. For a DN I wouldnโ€™t advise it.

All depends on what you are looking for, price, location (beach/road), style(apartment/hut), A/C or Fan and how long you stay. In Lanta monthly deals are common and cost 30-50% of daily prices (to get these you normally need to be here).

All the choices you can get in Long beach/Pra Ae area. The further south you go the quieter the beaches get. But even in the peak season (now) the โ€˜busyโ€™ beach is a times a handful of people.

In March/April there are lots of options (on the cusp of the cheaper low season, where there are many bargains to be found) really nice apartments to bungalows right on the beach.

There are a clutch of Apartments you can check out when you get in, if you want I can try to point you in the right direction. Also, Kohub have a page on โ€˜where to stayโ€™ http://kohub.org/phra-ae-long-beach-places-to-stay, maybe check that out?

Cheers.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@James โ€“ thanks again. This is exactly the info I was looking for on Koh Lanta. We are definitely going to be heading to SE Asia around March 1, and the current plan is to spend 2-3 months in the region. Weโ€™re not looking to hop around a ton โ€“ so monthly deals would be terrific.

This is our first stop in our adventure, and we are kinda Northern souls who are trying out the tropics. Love the idea of the beautiful beaches and natural scenery, so Iโ€™m not looking for anything overly built up (this is why Phuket doesnโ€™t seem super appealing to me). At the same time, Iโ€™d be lying if I thought I was ready for a fan-only hut, either. We want to ease into things, so a cabin/hut with AC with a covered porch to work on, good WiFi, and (ideally) a beach view is our big wish list.

Sounds like it would be a better idea maybe to book a place for only the first few days on Koh Lanta and then shop for a longer term place in person?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any discernible difference in mosquitos between Bali and southern Thailand?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking closer at southern Thailand again based on the suggestions from @jb510. Any opinions on Ko Pha-Ngan?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 9yr

See @DavidSidhom and my comments here: Are there any coworking spaces on Thailand's islands? Ideally on Ko Samui or Ko Phangan?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 9yr

Internet need is hard to gauge. I think Iโ€™m a heavy utilizer, I know many who seem happy if email and facebook worksโ€ฆ whereas what I care about is FTPโ€™ing hundreds of files.

The first category has no problem in Bali. WiFi is abundant anywhere there are tourists. Itโ€™s just not particularly fast and is prone to short outages.

Obviously from the 1000โ€™s of people remote working from Bali though it is suitable to most. Including me :smile: as long as I can get to Hubud (coworking in Ubud, Bali), itโ€™s just not on par with Thailand.

The paradox with Hubud and Ubud is that itโ€™s far from the beach (about an hour)โ€ฆ which makes me less happy but Ubud in general I love as long as the tune out the yoga retreat crowd a little.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@jb510 Thanks! Your insight is really helpful, much appreciated. Since Iโ€™ve never been to Thailand, itโ€™s difficult for me to imagine the difference between various places. Depending on who I ask, Phuket is either wonderful or horrid.

Krabi area seems like a good balance, but very little is available on Airbnb from what Iโ€™ve seen.

Ko Lanta seems nice, but somewhat remote.

Any other areas I should search for?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 9yr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they sayโ€ฆ

Perfect example. Iโ€™ve never been a fan of big cities and I hated Bangkok and New Delhi the first couple times I visited each. Then on the 3rd or 4th visit a local showed me a new part of the city and I fell in love with both, not to the point Iโ€™d want to spend months in either, but a week in either is something I look forward to now whereas I used to avoid even spending the night.

I donโ€™t know Krabi/Phuket well enough. I generally donโ€™t like tourist crowds and they sound crowded. I have friends that live in Railey whom I keep meaning to visit thoughโ€ฆ I split my Thailand time between the south (Koh Phangan/Saumi) and Chiang Mai.

One other note regarding coworking spaces if thatโ€™s your thing (I love them), Thailand (Hubba & Punspace) are half the price per day of Bali (Hubud & Lineup Hub). US$10 vs US$20. Itโ€™s not a huge dollar amount, but it makes a difference. internet and electric cost a lot more in Bali than in Thailand, so that cost gets passed on.

Similarly scooter rentals in Bali tend to run double the cost of Thailand if I recall correctly. US$2-5/day vs US$5-10/day. (long term rentals much cheaper)

Again, the total cost of living in either is pretty similar and what you choose to spend money on is going to make a bigger difference than the difference between locales.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@jb510 Do you find the Internet service at Hubud to be fast/reliable enough for heavy use? (Webdev, pulling down heavy dbs, FTP, etc)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 9yr

Generally yes the internet service at Hubud is fast enough and very reliable. Theyโ€™ve done an amazing job of squeezing every bit of performance out of their dedicated 20/20Mbps line. VOIP/Skype is prioritized, heavy users get throttled (forget the cap but GBs per day), etcโ€ฆ Itโ€™s really impressive how sophisticated they are with it.

The reality though is itโ€™s still 20Mbps being shared by 50+ concurrent users at peak hours.

I never had difficulty getting work done there, but it couldnโ€™t compare to the joy of getting home to my US home and 50 Mbps connection all to myself, or just 20 users sharing 100Mbps in Thailand.

As this startedโ€ฆ YMMV, youโ€™ll develop your own coping strategies based on your own needs.

BTW, mosquitosโ€ฆ generally donโ€™t bother me so Iโ€™d be a bad judge. There are mosquitos both places year round, I think how bad they are is more seasonal that geographic.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for your thoughts! Iโ€™m not interested in a big city, personally, since the goal of the first leg is to decompress a bit. So I think Bangkok is out. Also, I live on an Island right now, so Iโ€™m familiar with Island life in terms of not having complete control over when you can leave (unless there are problems with emergency medical evacuation โ€“ which Iโ€™ve never needed).

Good to know about Internet access problems in Bali. This is what I was worried about. From scouring AirBnB, it seems like the housing options in Bali are much better quality for the price. Any input there? Iโ€™m not looking for outright luxury, but looking to spend $500-750 USD on a place at or near the beach with AC that has a bit of privacy. Not super interested in a bar scene, or in overly communal living โ€“ Iโ€™d like at least basic kitchen facilities in the apartment/bungalow.

Any other websites that would be good to look at for housing other than AirBnB?

Thanks again!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 9yr

Bali and Thailand arenโ€™t very different in terms of total cost of living, but it varies on where exactly you want to stay. Koh Samui is one of the most expensive places in Thailand because itโ€™s a resort destination AND has a well established expat community.

I tend to think Bali housing/lodging is a little cheaper than Thailand and higher quality, but Bali food is more expensive and lower quality.

FYI, Bangkok Hospitals is a private hospital group (not a single hospital in Bangkok).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 9yr

@TProphet - I donโ€™t know about Ko Lanta, but Samui has two big hospitals. Bangkok Hospitals is about as highly reagarded as they come, on par with Bumengrad in Bangkok http://www.bangkokhospitalsamui.com/index.php?lang=en

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 9yr

Youโ€™ll be happy in either place. Medical care in Thailand is better than Bali, but both have very modern medical facilities that cater heavily to expats and medical tourists, so nothing to worry about for your basic needs in either place unless you go far off grid. Pharmacies are plentiful in both, always with the caveat that fake drugs do exist and are an issue throughout Asia.

Internet is certainly better in Thailand as well. Itโ€™s plentiful in both places, just where a cafe in Bali has a unstable 1Mbps connection, cafes in Thailand have reliable 3-10Mbps connections.

Often in Bali I get frustrated at cafes end up using 3G because itโ€™s more reliable, but then Iโ€™ll occasionally do that in Thailand too.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@tprophet 9yr

Medical care is of a generally excellent standard in Thailand. I canโ€™t speak for Bali, but this wonโ€™t be a problem in Thailand. However, consider a larger city rather than living on an island. Koh Samui has well stocked 24 hour pharmacies, often staffed by a nurse, but itโ€™s a long way (a boat ride plus a long bus ride) to the nearest major hospital in Surat Thani. The other option is to fly to Bangkok. An island is just not a great place to be if you have a serious, life-threatening emergency. Living on an island also drives up the price of everything, because it has to come by plane or boat. Sure, the island lifestyle is idyllic, but it will cost you.

On the mainland, when you say โ€œsouthern Thailand,โ€ it really depends where you mean specifically. On the mainland, the closer south from Phuket you get to the Malaysian border, the more dangerous it becomes (Phuket is safe and affordable). Kidnappings and bombings carried out by Muslim separatist groups are not uncommon. You donโ€™t hear about this much in the Western media, but itโ€™s well known locally. Itโ€™s also less expensive in these parts of Thailand, and the pace of life is slower and quieter. Because of the security threat, there are a lot of relatively unspoiled and beautiful beaches. It is best to dress modestly in accordance with local religious customs, though.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Bali to focus on attracting remote workers when the island reopens for tourism

by @levelsio 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

When reopening for tourism, Bali says it will focus on attracting remote workers to choose the island as their workplace:

"We will focus on a new pattern of how Bali is not just for leisure, but indeed to work in Bali as well"

thebalisun.com/bali-tourism-will-target-digital-nomads-and-those-who-work-online/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is the health and safety in Bali right now amid the global crisis?

by @valentineworld 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

I would like to avoid having to come right back home, ya know? <3

I plan to be in Bali a lot, but if this is a terrible time to go,
it could stunt my future plans of being in Bali for an extended period of time.

Would love to see you guys! <3

@valentineworld

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best beach towns in Southern Italy?

in Italy by @mitch_dina 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Looking to spend a month or so (March/April of โ€˜19) in a beach town(s) in Southern Italy, anybody have good experience down there?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there comparable companies like Iglu in Thailand?

in Thailand by @stiensf 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

You can look up the Iglu company in Thailand. It is a legal way of working in Thailand with a work permit for digital nomads. Are there other companies in Thailand offering work permits for digital nomads? They charge you 30% of your salary, which is a lot. Are there other companies charging less than Iglu or have a different pricing scheme?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What festivities are happening around Bali for New Years Eve (NYE)?

by @diannamallen 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Looking for somewhere to celebrate New Years in Bali! I would prefer somewhere in Kuta or nearby, but if itโ€™s worth the travel, give me your suggestions!

Not looking to spend too much money either.

Thanks =)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Ho Chi Minh City, Chiang Mai or Bali for Jun-Jul-Aug for work?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @chelocoach 6yr 6 years ago  | 8 comments

Hi experienced nomads!

Iโ€™ve been nomading around SE Asia, HK and China for the last 4 to 5 months. Iโ€™ve been moving a lot and now I need to settle down for 3 months to finish some work. So the idea is to be in a stimulating city where I can find nomads, start-ups, self growth, self improvement, spirituality environments.
I already been for one month in Chiang mai, and liked it a lot in this respect, but wanted to try somewhere new, so was thinking to go to Ho Chi Minh or Bali. As I will be working mainly most of the time, the idea is not to spend much this three months, so my idea is to spend around 1200usd per month.

Would appreciate any opinions on this.

Best place to sit down and work for three months on a 1200usd budget a month?

Thnx :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a villa in Bali?

by @juliakostreva 6yr 6 years ago  | 3 comments

My husband and I are looking for a place with nice weather, fast internet, comfortable/modern/nice housing, (hopefully walk to town/shops) and budget friendly for 2-3 months in June-July-August 2018. We are looking at Canggu, Ubud, Bali, Seminyak. I canโ€™t seem to find a good house (the entire place) for less than $1400USD on airbnb, TripAdvisor, VRBO, or Facebook groups. Can anyone recommend a realtor or agent in Bali/Canggu/Ubud that can help me find a place thatโ€™s nice? Or if itโ€™s just unrealistic- where in Southeast Asia (or surrounding) area would you recommend for that kind of nice town, fast internet, and good weather in June, July, August? Thank you!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Am I being silly by worrying about getting Zika in Bali? ๐Ÿ˜•

by @metamas 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Bali was at the top of my short-list of places to go DM for 1-3 months until I saw it had the โ€œZykaโ€ tag on Nomad List :scream: . Iโ€™m not super read-up on the whole state of Zyka, other than occurrences of infection being on a decline (for now), but I am a worrisome enough person about such things that it has got me reconsidering. Though, it still seems to not be stopping the rate of DMs visiting Baliโ€ฆ

Is there cause for large concern here, or I am just being a nut? โ€ฆItโ€™s been known to happen pretty frequently over such things :anguished: :face_with_thermometer: :mask:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Cheapest flight path to Bali from West Coast, US?

by @metamas 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

Iโ€™m making plans to travel from Portland, OR to Canggu, Bali in a little over a month. Looking around at flights now. Can anyone lend experience on the most affordable flight path (airports and airlines) to take?

I subscribe to Scottโ€™s Cheap Flights, but nothing obvious has shown up in that direction (Portland, OR -> Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam -> Bali ???). Iโ€™ve so far just been looking with Google Flights + Momondo. Any other tips from more experienced travelers are much appreciated.

If youโ€™ll be in Canggu Sep/Oct, Iโ€™ll return any favors with tasty eats and cold drinks :tropical_drink: :stew: :blush:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Bali vs. Chiang Mai for digital nomads?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @snu6ew 7yr 7 years ago  | 16 comments

My girlfriend and I started our DN life this March and went straight to Chiang Mai because of itโ€™s ease of living. We love it. CM is great โ€“ we got a scooter for 2700 THB, a nice apartment for 8000 THB all in, we get our laundry done for 50 THB, eat out at nice places every day for less than 100 THB etc. Arriving here needed nearly no preparation โ€“ it just worked out all by itself.

We are still on tight budget and donโ€™t want to give up much of CMโ€™s quality of life but we want to see other places and we are now thinking about what could be our next destination. We are not really willing and able to spend more than what we spend now. Bali seems to be a good place according to what you all wrote.

How does it compare to Chiang Mai or Thailand in general?
CM can get very hot and we often acknowledge that we should have chosen an apartment with a pool here. Can I rent something in Bali for a few months with a pool for less than 250 USD?

Are there any Nomad-houses or similar projects at the moment that make it easy to connect to other people?

We donโ€™t really hang out in co-working spaces, more in cafรฉs. We source products in China and sell them to customers in Europe through e-commerce.

Any tips or experiences are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Experience with "Adobe Connect" in Bali/Ubud or Canggu?

in Canggu , Indonesia by @hg.weber_nomads 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Hello, is there anybody around with experience with โ€œAdobe Connectโ€ meetings?

We are thinking to move to Bali - Canggu or Ubud, however our business demands working with this Adobe platform. Our concern is if latency is good enough and connection stable to do the teaching job from Bali to European located Adobe Connect servers.

Thanks so much fore any hint on this.

You can test the connection quality with Adobe Connect from your location to different servers worldwide from this page - for Europe there is a UK-based server listed to test:

Thanks again!
Gunter

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is the quality of wifi & 3G in Amed, Bali?

in Amed , Indonesia by @adrienbetweets 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi all!

I am considering going for 1+ month in Amed (to get more into freediving).

I need to be able to make Skype calls & other work-related tasks. I need a speed equivalent to one allowing me to watch Youtube videos.

Ubud is way more connected in comparison, so I donโ€™t expect anything wonderful.

Wondering if anyone has done this before & if yes: what 3G
provider they used, or what cafe/restaurant/hotel had a good/reliable
enough wifi connection.

Note that I went to Amed last year & the 3G connection on the 2 providers I used at the time was terrible. Thatโ€™s why Iโ€™m asking for help.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I also posted this question on travel.stackexchange.com/questions/82403/quality-of-wifis-3g-reception-in-amed-bali

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which shots and visas do I need to visit Thailand?

in Thailand by @aspkin 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Iโ€™m wanting to travel to Thailand in February and Iโ€™m a little overwhelmed with travel arraignments (I have only left the US once) and what Iโ€™m going to do once Iโ€™m there.

So far Iโ€™m wanting to be in Thailand for a month. It looks like Iโ€™m going to need shots: Hepatitis A and B and typhoid. I can take care of that no worries.

I was looking into the Visa requirements, it looks like I can just arrive in Thailand and get a 30-day tourist visa?

As for housing I was thinking AirBnb. My goal while in Thailand is to work primarily. I have a project I need to wrap up and Iโ€™d like to do that in Thailand without a lot of distractions.

Now Iโ€™ve joined NomadList because it seems I can join up with others to Thailand? Looking at nomadtrips I have no idea how it worksโ€ฆ but that seems to be the place to link up with others? Or maybe Iโ€™m wrong. Iโ€™m looking at: https://nomadtrips.co/chiang-mai-thailand

Whatโ€™s the best way to communicate with this group about meet ups, etc?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the difference between Ubud and Canggu in Bali?

in Canggu , Indonesia by @edmoyse 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Hey nomads,

Iโ€™m hoping for some advice from people whoโ€™ve lived in Ubud or Canggu. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each place? If youโ€™ve lived in both, which did you prefer and why? (e.g. surfing vs yoga, or varying WiFi availability, or better accommodation, or number of nomads)

Thanks!
Ed

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you know Yoga places in Ko Phangan, Thailand?

in Thailand by @mirkatekelova 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi,
Iโ€™d like to have an idea about the costs of yoga classes in Ko Phangan. Iโ€™ve checked a few yoga studios websites, but canโ€™t find much infoโ€ฆ
Whatโ€™s a drop in class price and what e.g. a month membership. Iโ€™m interested in particular in the area around Beachhub.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's a great place to stay & work at Bali?

by @allancaeg 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

About to spend 20 days in Bali, mainly to work. Looking to mingle with fellow nomad entrepreneurs.

Whatโ€™s a good combination of a place to stay and cowork? Hoping the lodging place is close to the work place. I hear that riding scooters is typical in Bali, but Iโ€™m not keen. Walking distance/affordable cab rides would be great.

Not yet familiar regarding cities in Bali, so I donโ€™t have a strong preference between Ubud, Denpasar, and Canggu. I just want whatever works best for the purpose of meeting fellow nomads who are working on their stuff.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best places to work in Pai, Thailand?

in Thailand by @adrienbetweets 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone!
Iโ€™m searching for places to work from in Pai, i.e. cafes or restaurants.

I am looking for:

• Quiet place - not full of customers nor just next to a road
  • Comfy seats
  • Regular height table - not breaking my back using my laptop
  • Open until at least until 18:30 - many places seem to close early in Pai
  • Good coffee or food would be great
  • Good WiFi is optional, I usually use my smartphone 3G hotspot

So many DN coming from Chiang Mai to escape the city life, I hope this thread will help a few of us stay in Pai a bit longer than usual :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Whats's a good place to work and surf in Bali?

by @anca_paul 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone!

Iโ€™m looking for a place to stay in Bali - to have a good stable connection, and to be close to a few surfspots. From what Iโ€™ve read on the forum, Ubud is around 1h form a break, which is quite far away.

I will probably go for an apartment, but knowing the location/city first would help a lot! Any help is highly appreciated! Thanks a lot!

Paul

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the options for mobile internet in Phuket, Thailand?

in Phuket , Thailand by @alejandrow 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi,

I will be traveling in Thailand from november to december and would like to know which internet option I should choose. I need to use internet for writing and research and also 1-2 skype calls a week.

I need whatโ€™s best in Krabi and Phuketโ€ฆ I already have an unlocked pocket Wi-Fi that allows both 3G and 4G, so I only need a Sim Card filled with internet. Unlimited data would be the best, but in reality I would be fine with around 10 GB if the speed is good.

So which options do I have and what are your experience?

Regards!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Bali: Legian, Kuta, Seminyak - coffee shop to work from?

in Seminyak , Indonesia by @bobz_zg 8yr 8 years ago  | 7 comments

Im in Legian atm, arrived today.
Anyone can suggest a decent place to do some work?
And not to be coworking space, something like coffee shopโ€ฆ?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
452ms