Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,882) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Staying outside major cities?

by @malaclypse 5yr  | 7 comments

My question is about the actual experience of staying outside of major cities, as well as where/how (on this site or elsewhere) to search to find questions and discussions about the same.

Sometimes I like being in the big city, but sometimes I like being away from it. For many people with โ€œregular jobsโ€ you have little choice but to be in a big metro area since thatโ€™s where the jobs are; for me, part of the appeal of considering DN is sometimes being able to work someplace quiet, remote, secluded and beautiful- rather than a concrete jungle.

Iโ€™m curious whoโ€™s actually done stuff like this. Because while it sounds great, I could also imagine all sorts of unpredictable problems that might not be an issue when one is way off the beaten path that wouldnโ€™t come up if one were in a big metro area.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@joshstraw 5yr

We live on a little island in Mexico called Isla Mujeres. Itโ€™s home to the worldโ€™s 6th best beach (according to Trip Advisor), itโ€™s slow and affordable. Life here doesnโ€™t cost very much, but has access to all the conveniences just a short ferry ride away. Itโ€™s also super quick to fly up to the USA or across to the UK so itโ€™s perfect. Come join us any time, we want more nomads to move here.

Oh and I pay about US$75 for a satellite on my casa. It guarantees 16MB down and 5 up. If you need faster Cancun is about 10x that, but I hate Cancunโ€ฆ so itโ€™s a trade off.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@lricci 5yr

Transportation requires a rental car once we leave the metro areas, so that eats into the cost savings on lodging. WiFi signals vary so much I now ask every host to run a speed test and tell us what they have. We are in Portugal right now, and believe it or not, the landlord thought their internet was fine โ€” 1.7Mbps!
And yes, the peace and quiet, green and fresh air are welcome changes.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nonno84 5yr

In my village in middle of Marche/Italia I have a 7 Mb/s in download and 0.7 in upload (it was 0.45 but I called TIM so many times that they increased mine a bitโ€ฆ). I work from home, itโ€™s stable and most of times speed is enough, when I need something more in upload I use 4g.

About transportation most of times you cannot rent a car, too expensive. In my area it makes more sense to buy a little used scooter or maybe a bicycle. But to rent a car could make sense if you want to explore; for instance during my five weeks in Palermo/Sicilia I tried to use buses and trains to visit most of places, but for more isolated pearls I got a car three days and explored by car. But that was for exploring, not for living there, and itโ€™s the same if you go to Berlin or New York.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@pras_k 5yr

Iโ€™m also interested in hearing otherโ€™s experiences on this. For me, the biggest hassle would be preparing food myself. But I guess once you get over that and have transportation you can enjoy the benefits of seclusion and quiet.

Iโ€™m very much looking forward to an experience like that. Iโ€™ve been putting this off for too long since I know how highly I value quietness. Itโ€™s a bit of a forgotten and lost value.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nonno84 5yr

Far from cities itโ€™s easier to find good ingredients, and with those anything you can prepare is good. Maybe itโ€™s because Iโ€™m Italian, but as soon as I needed to prepare something on my own I just got the pan and I did it :sweat_smile:
At least in my region everybody eats at home 90% of times, itโ€™s much more pleasant than buying take away, specially if you can share food or cook with somebody.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nonno84 5yr

Itโ€™s actually difficult to move in little places, and I can tell you for sure because Iโ€™ve been living in a little village all my life. What I can suggest you is to join a community where you can ask info to locals (Couchsurfing?), and before moving in a little village ask info about transportation in particularโ€ฆ itโ€™s not pleasant to see people arriving in my area and escaping a few weeks later because itโ€™s impossible to have a normal life without a car or some other kind of vehicles for instance, or discovering how slow are internet connections here.
Iโ€™m sure about one thing: who can work far from cities should stay away from them because concrete jungles arenโ€™t for human beings, I see people stressed and hiding in their little rooms while in villages there are big houses, a lot of green and meaningful relationships. And in some villages mayors are actually giving houses for free because there isnโ€™t work in the surroundings. And you can save so much staying far from citiesโ€ฆ My two cents.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi Malaclypse:
Weโ€™re an older couple not digitally employed, but we prefer always being outside of the metro areas. Even with additional public transportation it is usually always less expensive and if youโ€™re at a hosted Airbnb or similar, youโ€™ll typically get to see, experience and learn quite a bit more. Of primary concern are transportation and security options when departing a city center at night and arriving in the dark and walking to your accommodation. Depends on the city but it has worked well for us over the years while both making the city more memorable and less co$tly.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Did you learn any Thai before staying in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @digitaldiva 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Iโ€™m curious to know how many people learned some Thai before going there. Learning languages is a hobby of mine but Iโ€™m very put off by how complex the writing system is, and if I decide not to learn it Iโ€™ll probably cross Chiang Mai off my bucket list. I prefer to be at least conversational in a language before I do an extended stay in a country. Iโ€™m curious how people who learned no Thai did getting by. And Iโ€™m curious, from people who did learn some, if itโ€™s any easier than it seems? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to get US visa outside home country?

by @ibobriakov 6yr 6 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi guys!
Iโ€™m originally from Ukraine and now traveling through SEA.
And I was thinking about potential possibility to apply for US visa in any of South East Asian countries.
Does anyone has successful experience of getting US visa in SEA region?
Or maybe it is not possible and I have to apply from my home country?
(for example, friend of mine from Ukraine tried to apply for South Korean visa in Bangkok, but they refused to do so and asked him to apply for the visa from Ukraine)

Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the nomad hotspots in Eastern Europe (outside Schengen)?

by @emondpph 7yr 7 years ago  | 43 comments

Hi everybody,

In august my Schengen tourist visa will be over. I would like to go 3 months in Eastern Europe, but it needs to be outside of the Schengen area. I would have loved to go to Budapest but because itโ€™s Schengen I canโ€™tโ€ฆ

Frankly, I donโ€™t know Eastern Europe that well. What are the best spots for Digital nomad in this region ? Also, I need a cool co-working space, I donโ€™t like working from my house.

Thanks !

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best places for local, organic food and strong internet outside of South East Asia?

by @jmacattak 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Where can I find locally sourced, organic (or at least non-GMO) and also be able to work with strong internet?
I did a search but didnโ€™t find much info. We love Bali and the food here is amazing, we are just looking to try somewhere else out (preferably somewhere in Europe) after a long time in Asia. We also loved the Northern Rivers area in Australia and want to find similar food offerings and compare our options!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Staying in Italy for a few months - internet?

in Italy by @ld 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Hello,

My boyfriend and I would like to spend a few months in Italy - nowhere major like Milan, maybe Tuscany region or more south. Iโ€™ve been there before, but not in a work capacity. We need decent internet both where we stay (maybe airbnb) and are hoping to find some cafes or work spots around.

I donโ€™t see too much on here about Italy. And it certainly doesnโ€™t make any list of โ€˜best places for digital nomadsโ€™ - so Iโ€™m curious about that. Is it a bad spot for people like us that survive off of the internet? Is it not reliable?

I appreciate any insights from your experiences!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places to stay in the UK outside London?

in London , United Kingdom by @worldtravel 9yr 9 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places to stay for awhile outside of London in the UK?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best visa strategy for US citizen staying in Bali for 5-6 months?

by @nihilista 9yr 9 years ago  | 4 comments

From what Iโ€™ve researched I can get a Visa on arrival and then extend that by another 60 days. (Is it around $60-70 for the original plus extension?)

But what about if I would like to plan for staying longer - should I get the 60 day visa that I can extend for 120 days?

Also, what is the process for extending the Visa? Do I need to leave the country to do so? In the first scenario, with the 30 day VOA and addโ€™l 30 day extension, is it possible to stay longer by leaving and then coming back? Is there a limit for how many days one needs to leave the country and how many times this process can be repeated in any given time period (i.e. a year)?

Thanks very much for any help / advice / information!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which Indonesian visa is the most hassle-free for staying there for 6-12 months?

in Indonesia by @david 9yr 9 years ago  | 6 comments

Which Indonesian visa is the most hassle-free for staying there for 6-12 months? By hassle free I mean reasonably easy to obtain, not too expensive, and ideally without frequent renewals. I will arrive in Bali in April 2015.

The visas that come to mind are:

• 1 year business visa (but the first stay can only be 60 days, any following stay as long as I want?)

• Half-year sosial visa (but I have to renew monthly and cannot leave for a few days without an exit/re-entry permit?)

• Tourist visa which I convert into a sosial visa (probably itโ€™s cheaper and more hassle-free to do the sosial right away before arrival?)

Which did you try, and which were easiest? Do I need a local invitation, and what is the easiest way to get one without getting into obligations?

Would anyone be so nice and invite me for a business visa? If yes please PM me, we can talk of course before you agree to help me out on this one.

What I want to do in Indonesia (starting in Bali) is surfing, looking into starting an online business, or โ€˜looking into investment opportunitiesโ€™ (if arriving on a business visa).

By the way, I have an EU passport.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does anyone know of great beaches in Eastern Europe outside of Schengen?

by @worldtravel 9yr 9 years ago  | 7 comments

Looking for a place besides Croatia in Eastern Europe to go to the beachโ€ฆ any ideas? Looking for a place that is exciting and fun and not too sleepy.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any nice beach towns outside of Phuket in Thailand that have fast internet and are relatively cheap?

in Phuket , Thailand by @kevinballa 9yr 9 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi there - Iโ€™m planning a coding retreat with my two cofounders somewhere in Thailand or Vietnam for a month.

Are there any nice beach towns outside of Phuket in Thailand that have fast internet and are relatively cheap in Thailand?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
564ms