Staying outside major cities?

My question is about the actual experience of staying outside of major cities, as well as where/how (on this site or elsewhere) to search to find questions and discussions about the same.

Sometimes I like being in the big city, but sometimes I like being away from it. For many people with “regular jobs” you have little choice but to be in a big metro area since that’s where the jobs are; for me, part of the appeal of considering DN is sometimes being able to work someplace quiet, remote, secluded and beautiful- rather than a concrete jungle.

I’m curious who’s actually done stuff like this. Because while it sounds great, I could also imagine all sorts of unpredictable problems that might not be an issue when one is way off the beaten path that wouldn’t come up if one were in a big metro area.

Hi Malaclypse:
We’re an older couple not digitally employed, but we prefer always being outside of the metro areas. Even with additional public transportation it is usually always less expensive and if you’re at a hosted Airbnb or similar, you’ll typically get to see, experience and learn quite a bit more. Of primary concern are transportation and security options when departing a city center at night and arriving in the dark and walking to your accommodation. Depends on the city but it has worked well for us over the years while both making the city more memorable and less co$tly.

It’s actually difficult to move in little places, and I can tell you for sure because I’ve been living in a little village all my life. What I can suggest you is to join a community where you can ask info to locals (Couchsurfing?), and before moving in a little village ask info about transportation in particular… it’s not pleasant to see people arriving in my area and escaping a few weeks later because it’s impossible to have a normal life without a car or some other kind of vehicles for instance, or discovering how slow are internet connections here.
I’m sure about one thing: who can work far from cities should stay away from them because concrete jungles aren’t for human beings, I see people stressed and hiding in their little rooms while in villages there are big houses, a lot of green and meaningful relationships. And in some villages mayors are actually giving houses for free because there isn’t work in the surroundings. And you can save so much staying far from cities… My two cents.

1 Like

I’m also interested in hearing other’s experiences on this. For me, the biggest hassle would be preparing food myself. But I guess once you get over that and have transportation you can enjoy the benefits of seclusion and quiet.

I’m very much looking forward to an experience like that. I’ve been putting this off for too long since I know how highly I value quietness. It’s a bit of a forgotten and lost value.

Far from cities it’s easier to find good ingredients, and with those anything you can prepare is good. Maybe it’s because I’m Italian, but as soon as I needed to prepare something on my own I just got the pan and I did it :sweat_smile:
At least in my region everybody eats at home 90% of times, it’s much more pleasant than buying take away, specially if you can share food or cook with somebody.

Transportation requires a rental car once we leave the metro areas, so that eats into the cost savings on lodging. WiFi signals vary so much I now ask every host to run a speed test and tell us what they have. We are in Portugal right now, and believe it or not, the landlord thought their internet was fine — 1.7Mbps!
And yes, the peace and quiet, green and fresh air are welcome changes.

In my village in middle of Marche/Italia I have a 7 Mb/s in download and 0.7 in upload (it was 0.45 but I called TIM so many times that they increased mine a bit…). I work from home, it’s stable and most of times speed is enough, when I need something more in upload I use 4g.

About transportation most of times you cannot rent a car, too expensive. In my area it makes more sense to buy a little used scooter or maybe a bicycle. But to rent a car could make sense if you want to explore; for instance during my five weeks in Palermo/Sicilia I tried to use buses and trains to visit most of places, but for more isolated pearls I got a car three days and explored by car. But that was for exploring, not for living there, and it’s the same if you go to Berlin or New York.

We live on a little island in Mexico called Isla Mujeres. It’s home to the world’s 6th best beach (according to Trip Advisor), it’s slow and affordable. Life here doesn’t cost very much, but has access to all the conveniences just a short ferry ride away. It’s also super quick to fly up to the USA or across to the UK so it’s perfect. Come join us any time, we want more nomads to move here.

Oh and I pay about US$75 for a satellite on my casa. It guarantees 16MB down and 5 up. If you need faster Cancun is about 10x that, but I hate Cancun… so it’s a trade off.

1 Like