Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,884) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Transfer Money from US Bank to Thai Bank

by @MsAlissa_J 8yr  | 13 comments

Hello! I forgot the pin number to my Wells Fargo ATM card and I canโ€™t withdraw funds. Iโ€™ve tried to initiate a Wire but was told the account has to be active for 180 days.

MoneyGram and Western Union wonโ€™t allow me to transfer money to myself outside of the United States.

Paypal isnโ€™t allowing me to add $ from my linked WF account, because I didnโ€™t create a traveler profile before leaving. So itโ€™s blocked!

Unfortunately, nothing seems to be working and itโ€™s been 5 days. Do you guys have any immediate suggestions?

I would like to hurry up and pay my rent before Friday. Is Transferwise ok? Iโ€™ve heard mixed review.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Make a skype call to WF Customer Service and explain whatโ€™s going on. They will take you through some security procedures to determine you are who you say you are. Then you can reset PINs and passwords. The skype call will be free if you use a WF toll-free number. 1-800-956-4442 worked for me. Have your debit card or account number handy. Good luck.

Jim Robinson
Da Nang

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for your suggestion. Iโ€™ve been working with WF for over a week and running into issues every time. Unfortunately the CSRโ€™s donโ€™t know how to do their job correctly.

Wells Fargo doesnโ€™t allow you to reset the Debit Pin over the phone. The only way to do it is at the Branch or have them mail it overseas (2-4 weeks).

The only Pin you can rest over the phone is for Credit Card only. Iโ€™ve been working with the Executive Office so this information is accurate.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mwp 8yr

Ok, hereโ€™s one more for you: Bangkok bank has an office in the USA (New York) that you could ACH funds to and withdraw from hereโ€“may need to open an account, not sure. On that note, be aware that Thai banks are highly variable per location in whether they will help foreigners or not. So if not helpful at one, both myself and others I know have been successful โ€œshopping aroundโ€ at other branches (of the same bank) to get previously denied services, etc. Best to go to areas where there are lots of expats. Highly user-friendlyโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks! I have an account with Bangkok Bank and Krunsgri.

I was told that I can only send money to the US not transfer money into Thai account : (

The other frustration is no one speaks enough English to clarify this information.

Itโ€™s over now! I had a friend send money via PayPal.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@theunisk 8yr

If itโ€™s easy/affordable to turn bitcoin into cash in Thailand, another option is to sign up for circle.com and try to link your bank account via ACH. Transferwise or similar options (eg usforex) require a local (US) wire transfer too, so not sure if youโ€™ll be able to follow that route, although theyโ€™d be a better option than western union/paypal

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks! I think I wrote above that Western Union & MoneyGram doesnโ€™t allow transfers outside the US.

I will look into Circle.com : )

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve used Transferwise for months now with no issues. Highly recommended!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mwp 8yr

Iโ€™ve heard before that some of the Thai banks will withdraw money using a debit card without a pin if you are able to present a matching passport at the counter. Personally, Iโ€™ve had no issues with paypal over in this part of the worldโ€ฆbut maybe log in with a vpn set to the USA and create what you need for the traveler profile?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks! Iโ€™m not able to use my US debit card w/o a pin number.

I do have VPN, but the traveler profile needed to be setup before I left NYC.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@rimu 8yr

Call your bank, tell them you forgot the PIN, answer a bunch of security questions and then reset the PIN using your phone keypad?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Wells Fargo doesnโ€™t allow you to reset your pin over the phone.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@richardh 8yr

call from a US number, surf from a US proxy.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I did that using my US number and Express VPN. Unfortunately it didnโ€™t work.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Did you learn any Thai before staying in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @digitaldiva 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Iโ€™m curious to know how many people learned some Thai before going there. Learning languages is a hobby of mine but Iโ€™m very put off by how complex the writing system is, and if I decide not to learn it Iโ€™ll probably cross Chiang Mai off my bucket list. I prefer to be at least conversational in a language before I do an extended stay in a country. Iโ€™m curious how people who learned no Thai did getting by. And Iโ€™m curious, from people who did learn some, if itโ€™s any easier than it seems? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to arrange prescription medication abroad (for example Thailand / SEA)

in Thailand by @dezeisvastnogvrij 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Normally, when I go abroad for a longer period of time, I try to take as much medication with me from my home country as I can for that period. Which so far has worked well for me.

But if Iโ€™m going to be a full-time nomad that wonโ€™t work anymore. Mainly because Iโ€™ll then unregister from my country. Which has some downsides like not being able to have my current health insurance anymore. Other health insurance companies wonโ€™t cover existing conditions, so Iโ€™ll have to buy my medication โ€œover the counterโ€.

But since I need some medication which in The Netherlands (and I assume other countries) is only available on a doctors prescription. I was curious how people here arrange that (if there are any in the same boat as me).

The main medication I think would be hardest for me (and most expensive) to get is Epoetin-Alpha (Aranesp) injections.

Since thereโ€™s not really a โ€˜world wide standarizedโ€™ doctor prescription form, how do you get the medication abroad? Do you have a checkup there again at a local clinic before you can get the medication? (That would probably add to the cost too).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there comparable companies like Iglu in Thailand?

in Thailand by @stiensf 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

You can look up the Iglu company in Thailand. It is a legal way of working in Thailand with a work permit for digital nomads. Are there other companies in Thailand offering work permits for digital nomads? They charge you 30% of your salary, which is a lot. Are there other companies charging less than Iglu or have a different pricing scheme?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can I enter Thailand on a tourist visa and obtain an education visa there?

in Thailand by @hydrofog 6yr 6 years ago  | 7 comments

As an American Citizen, would it be safe to fly into Thailand without a visa? You can get a 30 day upon entry right?

The reason I ask is, Iโ€™m in the process of getting my passport. Iโ€™d like to leave basically as soon as my passport arrives in the mail. Iโ€™m unable to apply for a Thai Visa until I have my passport, so that would require an even longer wait.

Would I be able to fly into Thailand with no visa, then get a 30 day entry, then apply for an education visa while inside the country? Once I go, Iโ€™d like to not have to return to the US. I donโ€™t mind if I have to take a bus/flight to a neighboring country for however long if I must leave while I wait for an education visa.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best Muay Thai Gym in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @holeinthehand 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

Hello,

I am moving to Chiang Man for two months and am looking for a good Muy Thai gym. I have some previous training experience but am at the novice/intermediate level.

Can anyone who has trained Muy Thai in Chiang Mai recommend a school?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Moving to Thailand for 6-9 months in August. Bangkok or somewhere else?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @andrea3018 7yr 7 years ago  | 14 comments

Hello Nomads,
I would like to move in Thailand for 6-9 months starting from August.
Iโ€™ll definetely stay in Chiang Mai as base for most of the time but Iโ€™d like to do the first month (August) in Bangkok or somewhere else.
What place would you recommend to visit first?
Would Bangkok be a good place to be during August?
I was also checking at the east coast isles but I got a little frightened out by the moonsoon idea but still, it would be cool to go to beaches and have some sun during that month :slight_smile: .
Would the moonsoons or the rain really be a problem?
Iโ€™ll move to Chiang Mai from september anyway but I would just like to start somewhere else since I have to wait for my girlfriend to come during september.

Thank you in advance for your advices,
Sorry for the bad english,
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best way for Canadians to get cash or transfer money in Thailand & SEA?

in Thailand by @artofbryce 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Weโ€™re setting off on our first venture for new digital nomad life in 20 days!

• starting in Chiang Mai as our home base
  • 1 year ED visa
  • planning to bounce around all over

Right now, Iโ€™m utterly baffled and confused by trying to figure out how weโ€™re going to be able to get more cash or transfer money from our bank accounts in Canada. Either at all or without getting charged insane fees.

Iโ€™ve looked through the forum and a lot of solutions put forth with no real luck. Hoping that some Canadians may chime in with solutions, experience or advice.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Extending Thai visa immediately after entering possible?

by @gonchs 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

I tried googling this for hours without success.

If I enter Thailand on single entry 60-day visa, can I extend it for +30 days (for a total of 90 days) IMMEDIATELY the next day after the entry?

E.g. entering on Aug 1 and extending it on Aug 2. Have anyone done this?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What place in Thailand has fast internet and beautiful nature?

in Thailand by @tomanna 7yr 7 years ago  | 26 comments

Hi all!

Iโ€™m trying to work out where I should go in Thailand that offers a combination of strong internet connection with a bit of natural beauty (hills/sea - I donโ€™t really mind).

Iโ€™ve been in Bali recently and whilst it is gorgeous it has two main problems for me. First, it doesnโ€™t really support a lifestyle where you walk anywhere - the roads are dangerous and pavements largely non-existant. And, famously, the internet connections here arenโ€™t fabulous, unless you go to a coworking spot.

Can anyone with experience of Thailand please tell me if they can recommend somewhere thatโ€™s attractive to be in, well connected, and less-than-lethal for pedestrians?

thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Age-old question... If you live in Thailand, what visa do you have?

in Thailand by @natalie1 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Hola, nomads! I am currently living in sleepy Ajijc, Mexico, and love having my easy 6 month tourist visa. However, Iโ€™ve stayed in Chaing Mai before and my heart is pulling me there again. Yet Iโ€™m daunted by the headache of visa runs. Iโ€™m American, so it looks like my options are that I can get a 6 month Multiple Entry visa, which does require me to leave every 60 days.
Does that mean I just cross borders via land and Iโ€™ll be good for another 60 days? The websites Iโ€™ve seen havenโ€™t been very clear.
Also, it looks like you need a minimum of $7,000 USD in the bank to get that visa. I donโ€™t have that, though I could do a cash transfer to my bank account from my credit card for a month to show it. How many bank statements do I need to show thereโ€™s $7,000 in my account?
Also, can I apply for the Multiple Entry from Thailand or only outside of it?
What visas do you use if youโ€™re there longer term?
I also looked into the Student visa, but the school I looked at required 8 hours a week of class. I work too much to do that.
My understanding is that if you are there, you can get a 2 month visa (possibly called the Single Entry visa), then have to fly out and come back from an international airport, and you can get another month, then do an extension for one more, then fly again. Am I correct? If so, that is a lot of traveling and extensionsโ€ฆ
Insight is appreciated!!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Trang (Thailand ) starting mid January, how is internet there?

in Thailand by @oriettaxx 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Thinking about Trang, but need at least a 5M download internet
Will be hard to get it?

any suggestion about Trang is welcome (need to find a cheap apartment, and need also to stuck in front of my laptop to work :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which shots and visas do I need to visit Thailand?

in Thailand by @aspkin 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Iโ€™m wanting to travel to Thailand in February and Iโ€™m a little overwhelmed with travel arraignments (I have only left the US once) and what Iโ€™m going to do once Iโ€™m there.

So far Iโ€™m wanting to be in Thailand for a month. It looks like Iโ€™m going to need shots: Hepatitis A and B and typhoid. I can take care of that no worries.

I was looking into the Visa requirements, it looks like I can just arrive in Thailand and get a 30-day tourist visa?

As for housing I was thinking AirBnb. My goal while in Thailand is to work primarily. I have a project I need to wrap up and Iโ€™d like to do that in Thailand without a lot of distractions.

Now Iโ€™ve joined NomadList because it seems I can join up with others to Thailand? Looking at nomadtrips I have no idea how it worksโ€ฆ but that seems to be the place to link up with others? Or maybe Iโ€™m wrong. Iโ€™m looking at: https://nomadtrips.co/chiang-mai-thailand

Whatโ€™s the best way to communicate with this group about meet ups, etc?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best coworking spaces in Chiang Mai (Thailand)?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @lordcyberspacer 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

As simple as that. Iโ€™m going to start working on my startup as a digital nomad in January, and Chiang Mai is one of the places where I am going to stay. At present, what are the best coworking spaces here? Any suggestions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Have you obtained a Thai single entry visa in AU as a non-AU citizen?

by @sarab 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi guys,

Iโ€™m planning to spend a month in Australia before 3-4 months in Thailand, and was wondering if anyone has any experience of applying for the single entry Thai tourist visa in Australia while being a citizen of another country. I ask because in the UK, for example, they wonโ€™t give you that visa unless you are a UK resident, and I wonโ€™t be an OZ resident then.

I will be travelling before that so cannot apply in my home country.

I am aware of the Penang option, but I am specifically asking about this scenario.

Any feedback would be gratefully received!

admin edit: subject changed as it doesnโ€™t follow forum guidelines.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you know Yoga places in Ko Phangan, Thailand?

in Thailand by @mirkatekelova 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi,
Iโ€™d like to have an idea about the costs of yoga classes in Ko Phangan. Iโ€™ve checked a few yoga studios websites, but canโ€™t find much infoโ€ฆ
Whatโ€™s a drop in class price and what e.g. a month membership. Iโ€™m interested in particular in the area around Beachhub.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best places to work in Pai, Thailand?

in Thailand by @adrienbetweets 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone!
Iโ€™m searching for places to work from in Pai, i.e. cafes or restaurants.

I am looking for:

• Quiet place - not full of customers nor just next to a road
  • Comfy seats
  • Regular height table - not breaking my back using my laptop
  • Open until at least until 18:30 - many places seem to close early in Pai
  • Good coffee or food would be great
  • Good WiFi is optional, I usually use my smartphone 3G hotspot

So many DN coming from Chiang Mai to escape the city life, I hope this thread will help a few of us stay in Pai a bit longer than usual :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best city to live in Thailand from April to July?

in Thailand by @john 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

I will be in Chiang Mai during summer and have read it will be very hot there and then the rain season starts.
Will the nomad community still be strong there or are you moving to an other part of Thailand?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the options for mobile internet in Phuket, Thailand?

in Phuket , Thailand by @alejandrow 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi,

I will be traveling in Thailand from november to december and would like to know which internet option I should choose. I need to use internet for writing and research and also 1-2 skype calls a week.

I need whatโ€™s best in Krabi and Phuketโ€ฆ I already have an unlocked pocket Wi-Fi that allows both 3G and 4G, so I only need a Sim Card filled with internet. Unlimited data would be the best, but in reality I would be fine with around 10 GB if the speed is good.

So which options do I have and what are your experience?

Regards!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How can I stay in Thailand for 6 months as a European?

in Thailand by @giovanni 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi, tried to find an answer on the internet & in this forum, but no luckโ€ฆ

With the changed visa requirements/visa runs how do you guys stay in Thailand for an extended amount of time? Currently living in Rio de Janeiro - but would love to spend +6months (up to 12) in Chiang Mai, without following Thai classes :wink:

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which places in Southern Thailand offer the ideal work and play balance?

in Thailand by @eot_fly 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi everyone,
Iโ€™ve been in Chiang Mai, for a month, and would like to go down south for another 2 months. My priority is finding a location where I can work from, preferably somewhere that is not too touristy, yet not too remote either. Do you have any recommendations in regards to finding a place that is both attractive (beaches, scenery, outdoor activities etc.) and ideal for getting work done (co-working spaces, cafes, not too overcrowded)?

Iโ€™ve been looking into the Krabi region (Ao Nang, Lanta, Koh Lipe) and the Surat Thani region (Ko tao, Phangan and Samui). Since I have never visited any of those places, I am not quite sure if they are well suited for working as much as doing touristic activities.

Thank you

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
432ms