Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,924) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What age did you start out and went location independent?

by @raynesio 5yr  | 11 comments

Eager to find out what age most start out as a DN? (Me)โ€ฆ 27 and just started out in the last 6 months or so. Not presently 100% location independent, probably more like 90% as still required to visit the office from time to time

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I did a few years ago when my 2 sets of twins were finally all over 18! Freedom at last!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@blingless 4yr

Started at 41, fulltime last year at 44.
6 months in and decided to base semi-permanently in KL just in time for the lockdown.
Itching to pack my bag again!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

We started at ages 42 and 47. It took us a few years to make it happen โ€“ we had to switch jobs / careers to be more nomad-friendly, and then downsizing took about a year. We are thrilled with our decision to go nomad. Weโ€™re able to save more for retirement living this way and have more fun doing it!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@pravin 5yr

Started at 25, after 3 years of full time job :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve started at 24, 6 months ago along with my girlfriend (27).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@devansh 5yr

Just started at 26
Still figuring it out.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

23, but yeah as @levelsio says, age doesnโ€™t matter, not even what society says!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 5yr

I started ~27, about a year after graduating uni with a Masterโ€™s. As you see, Iโ€™ve never really been in a rush :smiley:

Best think you can do I think is decouple your behavior, lifestyle and expectations from your age. The most interesting people I know are doing whatever they want at whatever age.

Thereโ€™s a couple on here whose kid (also on here) started nomading at 20, then they got inspired, made their lawyer business fully remote, sold their house, and have been perpetually traveling since then. Theyโ€™re in their 50s/60s I think.

I know people who are in their 70s who are building an RV now to travel through Europe.

So it really doesnโ€™t matter. I know the society expectations you might feel bound to, but Iโ€™d say lose that as fast as you can and do what you want.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Levelsio, I am lawyer working remotely during this Chovid 19 crisis and I am realizing that more and more of law is becoming remote. Can you put me in touch with this this couple? glad to see you are enjoying life and DNing!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@blingless 5yr

Technically in 2016, a month shy of turning 42, started on a project just before having to leave on a trip overseas around my birthday and got my first taste of working remotely. This summer, I sold/stored everything, left town, and almost 3 years later to the day, Iโ€™m into my 2nd month of being โ€œhomelessโ€, and a DN for the foreseeable future.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kjzz 5yr

52 - I am now 65 and still visit from 40 to 70 cities a year

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do I set current location? I've looked everywhere for this option.

by @yousifyalda 4yr 4 years ago  | 5 comments

All I see is section to add trips, but I reside here. Home and all.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you have a system for how you plan your next location?

by @mitch_dina 5yr 5 years ago  | 3 comments

It seems to be taking me days to plan my next trip. Its so complicated and seems to be a domino affect. Example: Iโ€™m in Dubrovnik and want to go to Bari, Italy next because it is close, and I can get there by ferry, (so not using so much carbon,) but the ferry only starts running in April and 90-day visa is up on March 15, so I need to move on. Cheapest flight out is to Rome, but Rome can be pricey and Iโ€™m more of a small town person, so I go looking for beautiful small towns in Italy, a BIG research project. Then how to get there?.. oy! I need a system, please!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What you think about salary based on the location of where the employee lives?

by @augustomna2010 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

I see that some companies do this, they pay the remote worker based on where he lives, I would like to know what do you think about this?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage your location independent business as a Nomad Entrepreneur?

by @vzablocky 6yr 6 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™d like to invite nomad entrepreneurs in this topic to discuss what are the challenges you face in filing taxes, insurance and banking complications, while travelling and running your business remotely.

Please share your thoughts! I would be happy to help!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any good coworking + surfing locations?

by @mike2381 6yr 6 years ago  | 31 comments

Anyone been to some nice spots for surfing that have fast internet and coworking offices in SEA?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which residence/company location is beneficial for an Italian freelancer

by @saschamayr 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

I am an Italian citizen currently living in Italy. I am starting to work as a freelancer and want to open a company in order to invoice the client.
Besides that, I also want to move my main residence away from Italy for multiple reasons.
In which countries should I place my company and/or residence so that the combination of both would be beneficial for me (cost and taxwise)?
Goal would be to rent an apartment and actually move (preferably in Europe), and from there travel as a digital nomad.
Has anyone been in a similar situation or knows an answer to this?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Advices about tax, location for incorporation, etc

by @anadesigner 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi nomads,

I and my husband are graphic designers and we work from home mainly doing services for UK. We have personal bank account in UK as we lived there for a while and we use it to receive payments and then use transferwise, but we are worried because we have no company there to declare these payments.

We are at the moment in Malta but moving to Portugal soon and we really would like to make the things right to avoid problems but also we need avoid pay lots of taxโ€ฆ I am researching a lot but not sure what to do. Would be very good to have a bit of advice to what way to go, where is the best country to open an offshore business for exemple?
We earn together about 25k euro year (brut).
Any advice or tip would be very welcome.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best ways to get travel/nomad companions in different locations?

by @madelineb 7yr 7 years ago  | 24 comments

Hi,
Do nomads like to travel together? I mean, not in each otherโ€™s pockets, but look for accomodation together, meet with each other daily or regularly, help out in new cities, motivate/inspire each other in the business? :slight_smile: Iโ€™ve done nomad lifestyle in the past in 2009/2014 and this time I want to collaborate and support with other people, each on their own mission. I love this nomad endeavour but to be honest I admit it can be quite time-consuming and lonely. :wink:
*Message on NomadList locations?
*Message on Couchsurfing groups? (without sounding like Tinder!)
*Message on other??
Iโ€™m currently in Portugal and heading back to Estonia for January/February (Iโ€™m from Australia). Later in 2017 I am open to places, though Iโ€™m not keen on high pollution, high humidity, high cost cities.
Feedback, interest or ideas welcome!
Thanks, :sunny: Madeline

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads who practice Krav Maga in spite of constantly changing locations?

by @petar_np 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

When I think about nomadic life style I often think of one disadvantage, not being able to continue to practice Krav Maga as I do now. How do you keep up with training and progress if you are constantly moving?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which is the most viable location for a young couple moving to Seoul?

in Seoul , South Korea by @iamjamesrodgers 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Out of the 3 Areas which would be most beneficial for a foreigner moving to SK?
(If you have experience with areas specifically Iโ€™d love to discuss the specific schools that are offering her a position - Not posting that here for obvious reasons.)

My Girlfriend has received 3 contract offers in Seoul/Surrounding area:

i) Dobonggu
ii) Songpa-gu
iii) Bundang, Gyenggido

Background knowledge:
We love being physically active through sport and weight-lifting, love exploring food culture, need good Coffee and live very modestly in terms of going out/expenditure.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Relocation to country

by @nomadtimne 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Hello,
I currently live in a EU country,to relocate somewhere where I can

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best location to incorporate an online business?

by @dmftaras 8yr 8 years ago  | 14 comments

Hey nomads,

Iโ€™m looking for the best location to incorporate my online business (offshore programming and so on).

The main requirements:

• Low cost incorporation/yearly fee
  • Preferred with no audits (or other kind of paperwork)
  • With no local office/secretary/director needed
  • With low or 0% taxes
  • Easy to get paid from US/EU
  • Easy to send payments worldwide ( I can use Transferwise/Stripe or something like that, i donโ€™t care )
  • With corporate credit/debit cards

Iโ€™m only one owner of the company (not EU/US resident).
Iโ€™ve checked jurisdictions like BVI/Belize/Nevis and iโ€™m interested in it. It would be appreciated if you could give me some kind of advice, if you have experience with one of these jurisdictions.

My budget for incorporation < $1500

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What do you think about my location scoring app?

by @miquel 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi Nomads,

Iโ€™ve been traveling Europe with my gf and visiting a new place every month for about 9 months. Picking AirBNBโ€™s and rentals has been hard for a variety of reasons. One is not knowing how close the rental will be relative to the places we want to visit.

So we made this app: Distance Score: Prague. Right now it is just featuring Prague, but Iโ€™m curious to get your thoughts on other cities youโ€™d like to see, as well as general feedback.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does your freelance rate fluctuate per location?

by @jasonmwomack 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

I am a web developer and content writer. As of right now , I reside in Atlanta, Georgia . My plan is to move abroad soon. At this point , I am not sure where to set up my home base . Anyways , my real question is about rates. How do web developers decide the most suitable charging rate ? Letโ€™s say a client is in need of a full website and e-commerce platform. That client resides in Paris , but another client in a low income country wants the same service. Does your charging rate depend on the clientโ€™s location ? That was a hypothetical situation. I am a new to this stuff! I do not have any clients yet .

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can anyone advise on the structure (and location) for setting up a digital agency?

by @matttutt1 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi there,

This might be a bit vague but hopefully someone out there can help. Iโ€™m from the UK and am registered as a Sole Trader currently. Iโ€™m looking to create a new business, and am unsure of the best structure to use. I donโ€™t really want to continue in this business as a Sole Trader because I donโ€™t think it has so much credibility compared to something like a limited company.

The business is going to be a digital marketing agency in a specific niche, itโ€™s going to be very small scale with very low overheads. Iโ€™m not going to be based in any specific location so Iโ€™m also unsure about which location to officially base my business (base in the sense that it will be my registered business address for example, I wouldnโ€™t have any offices unless just Virtual).

I also donโ€™t imagine that Iโ€™ll be turning over much as it will likely just be me, I may hire some freelancers at a later date but that depends on whether I can find enough clients.

Appreciate any help on this, thanks for reading!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where are the best digital nomad locations for hippies?

by @conni 8yr 8 years ago  | 23 comments

I am a Yogi, living a spiritual, healthy, vegan lifestyle. I have been a digital nomad for several years and am now more and more looking for places that satisfy all my interests and needs that meet my healthy yogi lifestyle.

Right now I am in in Bali, which is perfect for me:

• lots of yoga
  • many high-quality, healthy, vegan/veggie restaurants
  • loads of like-minded people
  • i can live my inner hippie while hustling away for my business
  • online entrepreneur community

What other places can you recommend that also match the requirements of a digital nomad lifestyle (good Internet etc)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where are the best rustic locations in Europe that also have fast Internet?

by @danielgenser 8yr 8 years ago  | 27 comments

Iโ€™m interested in finding out about locations in Europe that are in pretty, rustic locations, but also have good Internet speed. Any ideas on where to look? Bonus if the locations are out of the Schengen zone. AirBnB listings of places youโ€™ve stayed at are helpful, too.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How much does air quality matter to you when you choose your locations?

by @loniklara 9yr 9 years ago  | 11 comments

Hey everyone! This is a question Iโ€™m asking out of curiosity since Iโ€™ve lived in South Korea for several years, been to China, Thailand and the Philippines and have recently traveled to Malaysia and Vietnam. By no means is pollution unique to Asia, but much of the developing process involves CO2 emissions and places like Indonesia and Vietnam produce a lot of smoke in the air by burning rice fields. Personally, this really puts me off from visiting these countries for any substantial period of time so I was wondering if itโ€™s a factor for you as well, or do you just deal with it - and if so, for how long?

I think Iโ€™m admittedly pretty sensitive to air quality because Iโ€™m prone to dust allergy, and especially since I have reaped the benefits of living in clean places like Sweden and Finland in the past. But I canโ€™t imagine this not being an important factor especially for people who have children or health issues. Iโ€™d love to get your thoughts on this :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are your dream locations in Asia?

by @nomadaccountant 9yr 9 years ago  | 18 comments

We have been racking our brains to source our dream location:

• Surf
  • Dive/snorkel
  • Rockclimbing
  • Nomad working features such as safe, affordable, good internet and cool atmosphere
  • Preferably in Asia.

The most obvious choices seem to be in developed countries such as California, Sydney and the Basque region. However we are currently based in Asia and love the bustle of it all.

So far we have come up with a few seasonal options being Taiwan in the right time of year and the Philippines. Sri Lanka might be OK but we arenโ€™t sure on the internet and the climbing doesnโ€™t seem to be near the coast.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Profitable Location Independent Business Ideas

by @taj 9yr 9 years ago  | 0 comments

What are the Location Independent Business Ideas that is successfully done by other digital Nomads

I am non tech, having degree in finance and marketing, I am based in Malaysia, and I am looking for a idea that can be done in Malaysia or anywhere remotely

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
482ms