What are good US-based banks for digital nomads?

Thanks for your reply Thomas

Actually I already read your article, good work! :smile:
I even contacted them through their facebook page to ask when their service will be available in Belgium, since it isn’t yet. They told me they’ll let me know through the mailing list as soon as it is. The problem is, I need it now :slight_smile:

If you got any info on getting the number26 account without being German or Austrian resident, please do let me know. :slight_smile:

You have to be resident in the US to open a Charles Schwab High Investor Savings Account now. I don’t really understand all the new US tax laws meant to ensnare people hiding money in offshore accounts etc. along with other applicable laws, but apparently it’s no longer possible to open an account that allows investing unless you can prove you live in the US (e.g. show an apartment lease, utility bill, etc.)

When I tried, the initial customer support person I spoke with at Charles Schwab said something about the Patriot Act, but maybe they were confused. Whatever the applicable law, it’s not possible to legally open such an account anymore if you plan on spending an extended time abroad.

I opened up a Charles Schwab account and they’re great so far, but before I left the US, I called Capital One 360 (formerly ING) to let them know I would be out of the country. Initially, I was just going to use my Schwab account and keep my 360 account as a backup.

However, when I spoke with the customer service rep, he told me they don’t charge an international transaction fee, there are no international ATM fees, and they cover any ATM fees that might be charged by foreign banks.

My mind was absolutely blown. I honestly didn’t believe him at first, but it’s true. Been taking out cash and the amount withdrawn is exactly the amount of the exchange rate and no international transaction fees on any purchases yet.

I would also like to say that they have the best customer service of almost any business I’ve ever interacted with. I’m not one to plug corporations, but my god these people are ridiculously easy to work with. I’ll call in, thinking I’m going to wait on hold forever, be transferred twice, and then just be told they can’t help me, but every time I’ve had an issue, the rep is always very knowledgable, extremely helpful, very polite, and always tells me about some great (free) feature they have that I didn’t know about.

On top of that, if you need to send a check for some reason to someone (or a business) in the US, you can send one for free by logging on to your account, typing in their name and address, and clicking send. Usually arrives in 2-3 business days.

As I mentioned, Capital One 360 used to be ING and they are run as a separate branch of Capital One, so they shouldn’t be confused with the account that Capital One offers (confusing, I know). I’ve heard some horror stories about Capital One, but I’m seriously a raving fan of Capital One 360 (if you can’t already tell).

I just called Capital One 360 and here is what the rep told me:

• no currency conversion fees
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • no ATM fees

However - she told me they do NOT refund the fees an ATM might charge you, which would be the main downside compared to Charles Schwab.

However, if you can’t open a Schwab account (like me) it sounds like Capital One 360 Checking may be your best bet…

Totally agree with @Ramblurr. Simple is closing my account because I don’t have a US house or apartment. It’s sad that a once cutting-edge bank that was the new hotness is now becoming old and busted.

I’m checking out Chime Bank and Charles Schwab next.