What are the implications of double nationality for a 'potential' US citizen?

Hi All

Newbie here enjoying the site. Quick question. What reservations would you have about taking on dual nationality: EU Country + USA. I have been in the US for several years but if we want to start roaming again in the future what are the key implications - beyond needing to file a US tax return for the rest of my life?

Thanks

A.

You might be limited in terms of banking as well. Not an expert on this, but as far as I know, fewer and fewer foreign banks are willing to take (regular, non-millionaire) US citizens as customers. Too much trouble, reporting, etc.

Mind if I reverse the question: what possible advantages do you see in becoming a US citizen? Shouldn’t an EU passport work equally well for the purposes of travel?

I see two main advantages - since I am on a green card.

1. I can vote (someone has got to try and keep the bastards at bay).
  2. I can leave the US for extended periods and not lose my GC.

unless you intend to make the usa your permanent home, i wouldn’t do it.

American-born, dual citizen here. DON’T DO IT.
First, although I love your enthusiasm about the messed up political system, you aren’t going to keep the bastards at bay with your vote, even if you are registered in a swing state. American politics is some messed up stuff and who knows where it will go in the future. My view is that they’re all bastards and I feel obligated to vote for whoever is less of a bastard. Don’t let that be a reason to get citizenship.

For your other point, I don’t know what the rules are on physical presence, but don’t you get perm res. after having a GC for a while? And then it’s setting foot in the US once every 2 years to maintain it? I could be wrong, but if that’s true, it’s really not a big hassle (relatively speaking) for you to maintain in terms of flights and convenience. I don’t know where you’re thinking your life will take you but it seems like a potentially small future inconvenience to maintain perm. res. there.

Like others have mentioned, it’s really not worth the tax implications. If you want to work while outside the EU, you don’t have to pay taxes on that money. If you are a US citizen, no matter where you work anywhere in the world, you will have to at least file with the US and deal with all sorts of BS. Keep it simple. Don’t do it.

3 Likes

Hi Lucha

Thanks for thoughtful response. On the GC and time outside the country the actual period is 6 months not two years. It is obviously manageable but for example if you wanted to go hang out in SE Asia for a couple of years then chasing back to the US twice a year becomes a big pain the ass. Moreover the whole family would need to do the same thing.

The US tax code needs changing and has to seriously be harming the US in terms of these penalties which almost no other country seems to inflict on their citizens…!

1 Like

Woops my bad, I didn’t realize it was every 6 months! In some countries it’s every 2 years… now I understand the dilemma. Well, I guess it just matters what you want out of life. But US citizenship just comes with a lot more responsibilities than other citizenships and is hard and expensive to get rid of if you choose that for yourself in the future. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

1 Like

going back to the US twice a year is less of a pain in the ass than dealing with the US govt for the rest of your life. I was a nanny in switzerland and the parents were swiss/american. they made sure to get their kids dual citizenship and now they regret it because they saddled their kids with dealing with all the US BS forever. not worth it.

1 Like