Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (635K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,979) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the more laidback towns in Japan?

in Japan by @cpury 9yr  | 10 comments

Hi nomads!

I really like Japan and would love to spend more time there (I know itโ€™s expensive!), but I generally dislike the stereotypical Asian city (aka soulless concrete jungles).

To define what I consider โ€œcoolโ€, I really like those young, laid-back, green and open places, where you can bike around and sit outside and meet people, even better with mountains, forests or beaches in range.

I havenโ€™t been to Tokyo (I just supposed it would be too big to fit my expectations), but there might be some good areas there. So far Matsuyama was the closest I found to a โ€œcoolโ€ place in Japan. Iโ€™ve met loads of laid-back โ€œanti-cultureโ€ people and even hardcore hippies from Japan, so Iโ€™m sure they must gather somewhere :smile:

Anyone has some hints where to find a place like this? Or a recommendation of a nice area in one of the big cities?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@ocnormad 8yr

Sapporo in Hokkaido. It is laid back and not crowded. Food is Amazing in Hokkaido. Sapporo is known for Ramen and Beer. You can catch a flight from Tokyo to Sapporo for 100USD round trip. There is a park call โ€œOdori Parkโ€ in downtown where you can easily meet local people just like central park in NYC.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

And skiii :stuck_out_tongue:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@bhearne 9yr

Fukuoka is laid back but still a big city so thereโ€™s lots of things to do and itโ€™s cheaper than places like Tokyo. I spent two months there and just used a bicycle to get around.

If youโ€™re looking for a small town check out Beppu in Oita prefecture. Itโ€™s got beach and mountains. Thereโ€™s a university with some courses for international students so thereโ€™s a bit of student life. It also gets lots of Japanese tourists visiting for the onsen.

By the way, you donโ€™t need to worry about Tokyo being soulless. It has many neighborhoods, each with itโ€™s own vibe and interesting sub cultures.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

This article about Kamiyama might be interesting for you.

Also, Patrick McKenzie might be a good person to ask about this. Heโ€™s lived in Japan for many years and probably has some pointers.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kasutan 9yr

Hi cpury!
I spent 3 months as a digital nomad near Osaka this spring, in a small town called Shijonawate, and I was enchanted. It is not exactly alternative/hippy, more relaxed-family life. People are friendly and curious about foreigners (not that many around), and will spontaneously try to talk to you. Food is great! The town is at the foot of the mountains, and part of it is only accessible by bike. You can get to Osaka center in 30 min and to Kyoto or Nara in 1 hour. I stayed at Ichiro & Namโ€™s (you can find them on AirBnB) and it was much more affordable than Kyoto.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@cpury 9yr

@kasutan that sounds lovely, thanks for the hint!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@cpury 9yr

Thanks guys! Iโ€™m planning to get a working holiday visa for Japan before I turn 30, so Iโ€™ll have a year to find a cool place! I remember Kyoto as a nice town, just way too expensive :confused:

Iโ€™ll definitely visit Nagoya and Kamakura. I also want to check out Fukuoka.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 9yr

Personally, I am not that fond of Kyoto. I find it a bit snotty and it attracts the kind of foreigners that are into cultural one-up-manship. But thatโ€™s just my experience.

I think rather than finding one area that fits what you want, youโ€™ll find pockets of more alternative cultures in different parts of Japan. Kamakura is definitely more alternative.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Kyoto is pretty small really and has a nice atmosphere. You can see the mountains from the city.

Kamakura is a laid back town with a lot temples and also lots of beaches and surfers. Bonus is itโ€™s only an hour and a half to go into tokyo.

I love Hokkaido but itโ€™s probably not โ€œcoolโ€, though I went to a small town called Hakodate that was really relaxed and had a young feel to it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 9yr

Around Tokyo, areas like Koenji and Shimo Kitazawa might meet some of your criteria but itโ€™d still be concrete jungle, although you could get to areas outside of the city easily by train.

Iโ€™ve never been to Nagoya but was searching for accommodation on Airbnb and there were some start ups with rooms to rent on there, kind of communal living with lots of things going on. That might be a good place to start โ€“ get to know some people and take it from there, otherwise the language barrier can be an issue.

Matsuyama, and the whole of Shikoku really, is pretty awesome. There is something very calming about the area.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are some nice French beach towns?

in France by @amin 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

I'm thinking to head over to France during the winter and I'm looking for recommendations on a good French town that has beach and is warm enough during the winter.

What are your favourites? Any recommendation is appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any nomad meetups in Osaka?

in Osaka , Japan by @freddychanut 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

Will be in Osaka this April/May and was curious to discover interesting groups/events.
I had a look at FB + Meetup but there doesnโ€™t seem to be much. Any advice on where to look?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How's the internet in Oaxaca towns?

in Oaxaca , Mexico by @azurio 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi guys!

If youโ€™ve been to Puerto Escondido, Mazunte, Zipolite, etc, please share your experience with the internet there.

• What speeds did you get up/down? Where?

• How solid and consistent was the connection?

• How common are blackouts and loss of power?

• Any other tips, favorite places to work, etc?

Which towns have decent internet?

• Puerto Escondido
  • Mazunte
  • Zipolite

0 voters

Thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best beach towns in Southern Italy?

in Italy by @mitch_dina 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Looking to spend a month or so (March/April of โ€˜19) in a beach town(s) in Southern Italy, anybody have good experience down there?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Coworking spaces in Osaka?

in Osaka , Japan by @adrienbetweets 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Iโ€™m looking for a good coworking space in Osaka.

There are a few listed on coworker.com & workfrom.co, however, none of them has reviews.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Coworking spaces in Kyoto

in Kyoto , Japan by @adrienbetweets 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Iโ€™m looking for a good coworking space in Kyoto.

There are a few listed on coworker.com & workfrom.co, however, none of them has reviews. Itโ€™d be great to have tips from people who actually went to some of these coworking spaces.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to live in Shikoku, Japan?

in Japan by @srg_b 6yr 6 years ago  | 10 comments

I want to live in Shikoku for two months. Iโ€™d like Shikoku, because of its beautiful nature, and preserved culture and tradition. Has anyone been there? Where could I base myself, apart from the 4 big cities (prefecture capitals)? Iโ€™d ideally like a town, 10 - 50.000 people population. Anyone with an idea? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best European Ski Towns?

by @matthewhallcom 6yr 6 years ago  | 9 comments

Looking to spend around 6 weeks somewhere in Europe this winter skiing and working. Donโ€™t need a big tech community but care more about it being affordable and having at least half decent skiing.

So far I have heard good things about Les Deux Alpes, France and Bansko, Bulgaria.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Quaint small towns/villages in Italy and/or France

in Italy by @theunisk 7yr 7 years ago  | 13 comments

Any recommendations for a few weeks stay in a small, quiet town or village somewhere in Italy/France during summer ? Open to any setting, by the seaside, in the mountains or the countryside - Iโ€™d like to get a feel for local life (outside the cities) in a charming place.
Having hiking routes available nearby would be a bonus, but not required.
Internet speed will not be very important, so that does not need to be taken into consideration.
Iโ€™ll likely be doing both Italy and France, so suggestions for both would be great.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which USA towns to experience rural South?

by @srg_b 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™m going on a rock festival to Louisiana in October. From there Iโ€™d like to visit maybe 3 places and be gone by new year. What Iโ€™m looking for are dreamy rural towns ~50k in size that havenโ€™t changed much and will allow me to briefly experience how it is living in the South/SE USA. Another thing is since Iโ€™m coming in Fall, what will the weather be? Where Iโ€™m coming from, November is all rain, clouds, winds and 10 degrees (so the crappiest weather possible). Are my filters yielding any results? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Favorite towns in Mexico (and near it)?

in Mexico by @azurio 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Hey guys!

We love Mexico. Weโ€™re excited to find outstanding towns to live in for 2-12 months at a time. Weโ€™re also open to Central American gems.

We especially appreciate learning about those smaller towns that are lesser known but amazing. Personal favorites!

Here are some of our interests:

• a paradise vibe: ocean, lush greenery, vibrant arts, and/or old town charm
  • at least 3 Mbps download speed
  • great cost of living
  • considerable expat and retiree crowd
  • not too much of an urban city โ€” though a smaller town outside a city can work
  • a bit touristy is okay

Here are lesser-discussed towns that caught our eye โ€” weโ€™d love impressions of these and more that come to mind:

• Huatulco
  • Ixtapa
  • Guanajuato
  • And more?

Thanks so much, guys!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anyone registered a company in Japan as a means to acquiring a visa?

in Japan by @kko 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Iโ€™ve done reading on this topic but wanted to see if anyone actually had experience doing something like this personally. Iโ€™m thinking of setting up a GK (Godo Kaisha), which is equivalent to an LLC, as a branch of my Delaware-registered corporation for my startup, and granting myself a work visa through this new entity so that I can stay in Japan long-term.

Iโ€™m curious about how long the process can take, what the lawyer fees might look like, and what obligations one has post-incorporation. Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are good ski towns for digital nomads?

by @andrewdblevins 8yr 8 years ago  | 9 comments

It looks like most people on here tend to go to the more tropical locations, has anyone done the opposite? Any digital nomad ski-bums out there? I would love to hear your stories.

Where are the good Ski-towns, with slopes, powder, cheap living and good wifi? About how much will it cost? What is the best way to get short term housing in a ski-town during ski season?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does anyone have practical experience of coworking in Kyoto, Japan?

in Kyoto , Japan by @jonlay 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Iโ€™m looking to take a trip to Japan and am considering a month in Osaka.

There are a few co-working spaces appearing online:

There are also some very old articles out there from 2012.

But most of the information online seems very dated and as a non-Japanese speaker, itโ€™s tricky to figure out whatโ€™s current, without emailing each of them via Facebook and trying to narrow down the list.

Anyone have any recent experiences or recommendations?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there towns similar to Boulder or Portland in Europe?

in Portland , United States by @j0hnlucas 8yr 8 years ago  | 17 comments

Small towns with:

1. beautiful nature (mountains or sea)
  2. progressive (clean energy, digital, social justice, etc)
  3. laid back attitude
  4. affordable
  5. good startup community
    It seems to me that if 2 and 5 then itโ€™s hard to have 1 and 3. e.g. Berlin for startups is too big, not great nature, a bit too cold. Am I asking too much? :smile:
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is San Jose del Cabo for nomads? Other good beach towns in Mexico?

in San Jose , United States by @jammingsloth 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

Looking towards next winter. Have my eyes on Mexico, looking to be by the beach. Has anyone ever spent time in San Jose del Cabo?

Looking for fast-ish internet, and a good art scene. Not looking for spring-break party destination, but touristy is fine (kind of goes along with the art scene). Any recommendations?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are good places to work in Sapporo, Japan?

in Sapporo , Japan by @kathrynoh 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

Iโ€™m currently in Sapporo for a week and have some work that I need to do urgently. Iโ€™ve been trying to find a cafe today but havenโ€™t managed to find anywhere that is quiet and has power outlets. Itโ€™s incredibly frustrating because I was hoping to get it done today.

Any suggestions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which Pocket Wi-Fi should I choose in Japan?

in Japan by @chrispking 9yr 9 years ago  | 9 comments

Hi

Does anyone have any recommendations for the โ€˜Pocket Wi-Fiโ€™ network in Japan? Thereโ€™s a few options Iโ€™m considering including UQ Wimax, au, NTT Docomo and Y Mobile. UQ Wimax and au look like better products for the money so likely Iโ€™ll go with one of them (saying that all of the products/hardware in Japan is exceptional)โ€ฆ

Specifically interested in experiences and recommendations of the wireless network coverage, reliability etc.

Iโ€™ll be predominantly based in Osaka for the next six months, however, I will be travelling for one or two months. Certainly, Iโ€™ve got a short trip to Kyushu planned and will be doing a nationwide JR Pass train tripโ€ฆso will need access whilst travelling on the shinkansen (bullet train).

Anyone had any experience of UQ Wimax or au wireless networks?

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is Fukuoka, Japan a good city for nomads?

in Fukuoka , Japan by @dries 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

Dear Nomads,

Fukuoka is increasingly mentioned as an affordable location to live in Japan and as a more easygoing alternative to bustling Tokyo. Itโ€™s just across the pond to South-Korea (3 hours by boat), has a well connected airport and has recently been chosen by Monocle as one of the most liveable cities (nr 12).

I would love to welcome Fukuoka on the Nomadlist, so letโ€™s gather some intel here. What was your experience with the city? How much did you pay for rent, food and other? How to go about getting short-stay appartments? Please share!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where should I go in Japan in the winter?

in Japan by @zero 9yr 9 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™d like to go to Japan for winter (on a 90 day tourist visa). Since I like winter sports, Iโ€™m thinking about staying somewhere like Nagano or Sapporo or even a ski town e.g. Hakuba but Iโ€™m a little worried about finding solid accommodation and a quiet place to work.

Any suggestions? Also if youโ€™ve used Airbnb in Japan while working Iโ€™d love to hear how it worked out for you.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
500ms