Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,886) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are your dream locations in Asia?

by @nomadaccountant 9yr  | 18 comments

We have been racking our brains to source our dream location:

• Surf
  • Dive/snorkel
  • Rockclimbing
  • Nomad working features such as safe, affordable, good internet and cool atmosphere
  • Preferably in Asia.

The most obvious choices seem to be in developed countries such as California, Sydney and the Basque region. However we are currently based in Asia and love the bustle of it all.

So far we have come up with a few seasonal options being Taiwan in the right time of year and the Philippines. Sri Lanka might be OK but we arenโ€™t sure on the internet and the climbing doesnโ€™t seem to be near the coast.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@pashley 9yr

I really like Dumaguete, in the Philippines:
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Dumaguete

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@NomadAccountant

Just wanted to add. You should checkout lowpressure.co.uk . It has served me well =)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

I have extreme bias here as my girlfriend is @youjindo and sheโ€™s Korean, but I love Jeju Island https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jejudo

Itโ€™s a somewhat tropical island a few hours away from South Korea. For some reason itโ€™s hotter there than in Korea itself.

Any way, it has extremely fast internet, thereโ€™s now a FREE coworking space, itโ€™s extremely peaceful. You can bicycle around the island and all that fun stuff haha. Itโ€™s definitely not Koh Phangan but when youโ€™re in your late 20s like me, maybe you like this better :smiley:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fippu82 9yr

Thanks for the tip, sounds great and like a secret tip. I have never heard about it before in the nomad scene. What kind of nomads are there, where from etc.? What about accommodation and cost of living?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

Not many nomads yet :slight_smile: mostly Koreans, but itโ€™s up and coming.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Jeju do - not heard of it, good tip with diving climbing and maybe some surfing all easily accessible!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Bali definitely has a good potential.
As mentioned before, climbing is the only weak point but there are artificial walls on the island & good bouldering in Padang Padang (Bukit peninsula).
Surf: a Mecca.
Dive, Freedive, snorkle: plenty of scuba diving schools, the highlights are the Manta Rays and the 120m long USS ship wreck, the rest is โ€œokโ€, a short flight to komodo will bring you to world class dive spots. Freedive: more than 5 schools in Bali & the Gilis. Snorkling is nice in Amed, and many other spots.
Regarding places to work: plenty of co-working spaces in Bali, whether itโ€™s on a surf spot (Canggu) or in the yoga capital (Ubud). 4G is also available (Telkomsel Simpati).
Good luck

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@pashley 9yr

A Mecca for clmbers, good food, music, Internet, โ€ฆ No diving anywhere near, though.
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Yangshuo

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@pashley 9yr

Iโ€™d say Dumaguete comes close. Cheap, good Internet, lots of diving & good Western food. Climbing is limited but there is some.
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Dumaguete

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks Lloyd - will be in Sri Lanka later this year I believe, so far there is surf and climbing but not too close to each other (climbing in the middle from what I can see).

Johnny! I did my dive course in Koh Tao but had no ideas there was such good climbing. Its going back on the list for a re-visit.

Nicholas - all roads look to be leading to the Philippines. Its looking like the best surf/dive/climb destination in Asia I can find. Thanks for the tip!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fippu82 9yr

Hi

Can you let us know more about the place in Sri Lanka which you are going to? Are there co-working spaces?

Thanks,
Philippe

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi Philippe, I went to Colombo briefly a long time ago, I am sure it has changed massively since.

The South coastโ€™s weather should be clearing up in a couple of months and will be heading there then. I donโ€™t know of any co-working spaces but it is an established tourist area so cafes and wi-fi should be fine.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fippu82 9yr

Many thanks! I will head to Sri Lanka probably next year, and also heard that south coast is good, and still not too touristy (means not overcrowded and/or pricey). However, Iโ€™m still to find out where exactly. Good to know that they have wifi cafes, as this does the job as well.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

The Philippines ticks all boxes. Check out Baler or San Juan, La Union. Youโ€™ll actually get (surfable) waves there unlike in Sihanoukvillee or Koh tao. Bali is great for surfing too, but the Philippines is so much cooler. Itโ€™s got great music and an easy going vibe. The only things that suck are the typhoons, earthquakes, floods, and mudslides!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@johnnybd 9yr

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey man,

Also not sure about climbing, but I can definitely say that I was quite impressed at how affordable the 4G was when I was in Sri Lanka for a few weeks in June. Iโ€™d reach out to the guys at Talalla Surf Camp down south, theyโ€™ve been living in Sri Lanka for a few years an could give you a better idea.

That said, Iโ€™m quite keen to head to Bali next year as it seems to tick lots of my boxes, so I may take up your offer Conni!

Peace,
Lloyd

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks Conni, I didnโ€™t know there was climbing in Bali at all! I have tried diving there before and was disappointed but understand there are some good spots out of the way on the north or over on the Gillies.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@conni 9yr

Iโ€™d say Baliโ€ฆ ticks 4 out of boxes.

Only thing: not crazy or climbers. But I found this thread:

"Hi Hi
I live in Bali and doing climbing there is possible!

There are several clubs with artificial walls, nothing extraodinary, but nice to take a look when you are in holiday. For example, im in the Gibon Climbing Club.

3 spots for naturals routes:

• Kintamani, hard to find if you dont know. There are high routes from 5 to 8 (europe cotation). We recently put new anchors :wink:
  • Padang Padang, some boulder and routes about 8m high max, but really old spits, youโ€™ll have to use natural anchors, trees, etcโ€ฆ
  • Uluwatu, high routes about 40m high and some boulder. Same really old spits, you may manage to use column of the house on top of the cliffโ€ฆ

Sincerely, rock climbing is not the best of Bali, However, there are really good canyoning where you can go to unspoiled nature and abseil beautiful waterfall. Its awesome, and the team is nice. The tour that organize is Adventure & Spirit, definitely a must do in Bali :wink:

You can contact me when you are in Bali if you need more info
c u"

http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=15&MessageID=8193&Replies=14

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best blogs by individuals who have started businesses in Southeast Asia?

in Thailand by @haiducii 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey everyone,

Looking for blogs by individuals who document their progress/business in South East Asia - ideally Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos - but also Thailand/Myanmar too.

Thank you,

Haiducci

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any good coworking + surfing locations?

by @mike2381 6yr 6 years ago  | 31 comments

Anyone been to some nice spots for surfing that have fast internet and coworking offices in SEA?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you have time zone issues working remotely in Asia?

by @anniestrout 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Regarding remote work in Asia/Far East, How have or could you successfully navigate the time zone and internet issue. It sounds like you really have to use a cowork space there to have adequate connection but I would be working mainly in US time zones with 12 hour difference, are there spaces open 24 hours? Is it possible to get good internet with a long term rental instead? I would need a really good connection, which itโ€™s hard to tell if exists in some places at all. Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do I need vaccinations for traveling in Asia?

by @fredrivett 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™ve been looking to travel for a few years now, and Iโ€™m finally at the point where Iโ€™m pretty much ready to get going, hopefully next month.

That said, Iโ€™ve not planned ahead well, and it only just occurred to me about vaccinations. Iโ€™ve done a bit of research and there are vaccinations available, but Iโ€™m unsure how necessary they are.

I plan to chat to my local nurse/doctor before going, but Iโ€™m also interested to hear whether most people do vaccinate at all before heading out or not?

In terms of specifics, Iโ€™m planning to fly to Japan and then move south, likely hitting up Thailand, Bali, Vietnam etc.

Not expecting any official health advice here, more just personal experience. Any thoughts appreciated :+1:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best places for local, organic food and strong internet outside of South East Asia?

by @jmacattak 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Where can I find locally sourced, organic (or at least non-GMO) and also be able to work with strong internet?
I did a search but didnโ€™t find much info. We love Bali and the food here is amazing, we are just looking to try somewhere else out (preferably somewhere in Europe) after a long time in Asia. We also loved the Northern Rivers area in Australia and want to find similar food offerings and compare our options!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is a 4G sim device in addition to phone advisable in SE Asia?

by @anderkd 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Iโ€™m planning a visit to Chiang Mai and Bali starting in April. I have a Google Nexus which has worked flawlessly in Mexico at least. Assuming it will work just as well in CM and Bali? If I decide not to work in a coworking space, but rather Airbnb w/wifi and/or Coffee shops wifi, would a dedicated 4g sim card device be worth spening $75 USD to purchase, plus local sim, plus potential SIM hassle, or just rely on Nexus hotspot + airbnb and coffee shop Wifi?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best ways to get travel/nomad companions in different locations?

by @madelineb 7yr 7 years ago  | 24 comments

Hi,
Do nomads like to travel together? I mean, not in each otherโ€™s pockets, but look for accomodation together, meet with each other daily or regularly, help out in new cities, motivate/inspire each other in the business? :slight_smile: Iโ€™ve done nomad lifestyle in the past in 2009/2014 and this time I want to collaborate and support with other people, each on their own mission. I love this nomad endeavour but to be honest I admit it can be quite time-consuming and lonely. :wink:
*Message on NomadList locations?
*Message on Couchsurfing groups? (without sounding like Tinder!)
*Message on other??
Iโ€™m currently in Portugal and heading back to Estonia for January/February (Iโ€™m from Australia). Later in 2017 I am open to places, though Iโ€™m not keen on high pollution, high humidity, high cost cities.
Feedback, interest or ideas welcome!
Thanks, :sunny: Madeline

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads who practice Krav Maga in spite of constantly changing locations?

by @petar_np 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

When I think about nomadic life style I often think of one disadvantage, not being able to continue to practice Krav Maga as I do now. How do you keep up with training and progress if you are constantly moving?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to easily open a personal/business account in SE Asia?

by @jakub 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey guysโ€ฆ Iโ€™m from a EU country but in the past 6 years I spent there just 3 weeks.

I have a bank account in Australia, since I spent there over 4 years. Now Iโ€™m mostly in Thailand or travelling around.

Because of my experiences

a) PayPal froze my account for several weeks until I was able to give them documents that are very difficult to get if Iโ€™m no longer in Australia

b) when applying for a tourist visa to Australia just to pick up rest of my stuff - itโ€™s supposed to be done within 48 hoursโ€ฆ well it took them 3 weeks just to ask me for additional details (that I already gave them with the application anyway) - I lost my tickets and bookings - of course no way to email them, call or whatever

This made me think about the fact that I have all my money in Australia. While Iโ€™m doing nothing illegal I canโ€™t risk that some โ€œofficerโ€ with a bad day decide to freeze my account to investigate whatever and Iโ€™ll be left with nothing for who knows how long. Not to mention they usually canโ€™t grasp the concept of perpetual travelling.

So my question - anyone has RECENT experience with opening a bank account in SE Asia? Either personal or business (thinking about UK LLP or US LLC)

It seems that

a) countries such Singapore has assumption that everyone and his dog is laundering moneyโ€ฆ $500 at a timeโ€ฆ

b) Thailand with lazy and incompetent staff where you ask to open non-resident bank account just to be told โ€œdonโ€™t haveโ€ โ€ฆ you point on the 3x3 metres huge board behind them listing interest for non-resident bank account - answer โ€œaaah, yes yes canโ€™t open, new rulesโ€ (even while having a Thai with me)

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What do you do to avoid plastic bottled water in Asia?

by @nomadaccountant 8yr 8 years ago  | 18 comments

If I stay somewhere for a while I usually get hard bottled bulk water containers, but often I have to rely on cheap plastic water bottles, which isnโ€™t good from both a health and environmental perspective. Have used a drink bottle with a filter but canโ€™t say I trusted it, and it was a little annoying. Any better options in use?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What immunizations should I get for India and South East Asia?

in India by @robetus 8yr 8 years ago  | 17 comments

Iโ€™m leaving for India in about a month and then headed to Thailand and probably Indonesia. What immunizations should I get, and which ones did you get for these areas. The CDC says Hepatitis A and Typhoid for most and long list for some travelers. Iโ€™m also considering a Malaria prevention pill. I will be in India for 10 days and Thailand and Indonesia for about a month.

Any information regarding what other nomads have or have experience with would be greatly appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where are the best digital nomad locations for hippies?

by @conni 8yr 8 years ago  | 23 comments

I am a Yogi, living a spiritual, healthy, vegan lifestyle. I have been a digital nomad for several years and am now more and more looking for places that satisfy all my interests and needs that meet my healthy yogi lifestyle.

Right now I am in in Bali, which is perfect for me:

• lots of yoga
  • many high-quality, healthy, vegan/veggie restaurants
  • loads of like-minded people
  • i can live my inner hippie while hustling away for my business
  • online entrepreneur community

What other places can you recommend that also match the requirements of a digital nomad lifestyle (good Internet etc)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place to buy a laptop in Asia?

by @kathrynoh 8yr 8 years ago  | 9 comments

My laptop is having issues and Iโ€™d rather replace it before it gets too bad. Iโ€™m currently in Chiang Mai, going to Phnom Phen next week then to KL and Seoul.

My impression is that Seoul would be the best place for buying a replacement but Iโ€™m not sure what Iโ€™m basing that one.

Where in Asia am I likely to get the best bang for my buck?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where are the best rustic locations in Europe that also have fast Internet?

by @danielgenser 8yr 8 years ago  | 27 comments

Iโ€™m interested in finding out about locations in Europe that are in pretty, rustic locations, but also have good Internet speed. Any ideas on where to look? Bonus if the locations are out of the Schengen zone. AirBnB listings of places youโ€™ve stayed at are helpful, too.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Travel with expensive camera in South East Asia?

by @alejandrow 9yr 9 years ago  | 5 comments

Is there anyone here that have been traveling through South East Asia with expensive cameras and gear?

If so, do you guys have any tips or recommendations to not get robbed or lose your valuable camera. I really would like to use my camera while visiting South East Asia, but I am afraid that it will get stolen or something like that.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What does a DN pack in a first-aid kit for Central America or South Asia?

by @freedio 9yr 9 years ago  | 5 comments

Iโ€™m packing for Costa Rica (staying there end of September to end of October) and wonder what I should take along in my first-aid kit (if anything is necessary at all) โ€ฆ what do other DNs take along in terms of first-aid?

I will head on to Chiang Mai in late November for an extended stay in the triangle (CNX, BKK, SGN) โ€” which may or may not require completely different stuff.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How much does air quality matter to you when you choose your locations?

by @loniklara 9yr 9 years ago  | 11 comments

Hey everyone! This is a question Iโ€™m asking out of curiosity since Iโ€™ve lived in South Korea for several years, been to China, Thailand and the Philippines and have recently traveled to Malaysia and Vietnam. By no means is pollution unique to Asia, but much of the developing process involves CO2 emissions and places like Indonesia and Vietnam produce a lot of smoke in the air by burning rice fields. Personally, this really puts me off from visiting these countries for any substantial period of time so I was wondering if itโ€™s a factor for you as well, or do you just deal with it - and if so, for how long?

I think Iโ€™m admittedly pretty sensitive to air quality because Iโ€™m prone to dust allergy, and especially since I have reaped the benefits of living in clean places like Sweden and Finland in the past. But I canโ€™t imagine this not being an important factor especially for people who have children or health issues. Iโ€™d love to get your thoughts on this :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best meditation and yoga retreats in Asia?

by @damirkotoric 9yr 9 years ago  | 9 comments

Thereโ€™s a bunch I can find by Googling but Iโ€™m after the hidden gems or at least some personal accounts. Iโ€™m after good teachers that hopefully speak some English. Picturesque, mountain locations would be the icing on the cake.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone changed European passport in Asia?

by @skatkov 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

I have only 3 empty pages left in my passport and according to speed of filling, I have 6 months. I donโ€™t really want to go back to Europe just to change my passport.

So, anyone had this problem? is it possible to add pages to passport in Asia (iโ€™ll be in Vietnam, Thailand and Taiwan during those dates)? Or maybe change it?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best VPN for South East Asia?

by @basicallydan 9yr 9 years ago  | 37 comments

Iโ€™m going to be in various parts of South East Asia for 5 months (Japan, Korea, Vietnam, China, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Singapore, Indonesia) and I have decided based on much reading that I need to get a VPN set up for myself. Rather than using my own server, Iโ€™d like to set up with a paid service which will have various places around the work to connect through which are reliable and appropriate for what Iโ€™m doing (e.g. banking, chatting, emailing watching streaming TV from home, or Netflix).

Iโ€™m sure there are plenty of recommendations out there.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
491ms