What comes to your mind when you think of Serbia?

Hey folks, we’re starting up a coworking community in Sombor, northern Serbia (www.fabrika.org.rs/coworking/). We’re trying to figure out what is the first thing that comes to mind, so that we can address any prevelant concerns, assumptions, generally, handle them in a better way. Our country is not well known, so understanding how others percieve it will help us develop our community in a better way.

So, in all honesty, what is the first thing that comes to mind when I say “Serbia”, good or bad (I won’t be offended :slight_smile: )

Thx!

1 Like

I hate to say this but to me it’s associated with WWI, Russian influence, Croatia war. Still, it’s all history now, so I’m not averse to visiting and exploring.

For me it would be “mysterious”. I just don’t know much about it. Where should I start?

Beautiful. It’s a lovely country with friendly people. But it definitely has a bit of a dark reputation give the ‘recent’ history.

1 Like

Serbia competes in Eurovision! You had a nice song in 2011 called Caroban, I ran into the singer Nina and she was incredibly friendly. She has kept in contact with some of my friends too. The 2015 Serbian song was good too, the crowd was absolutely electric during the second half of the song.

I’ve never been to Serbia, but maybe I’ll make it there one day.

Novak Djokovic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello neighbours, I’m from Zagreb. Would like to overcome the politics talk, just wish you all the best with your efforts.

1 Like

Thanks bobz! Come visit, I’m sure you’ll enjoy. Sombor is quite similar to Slavonija I think, but with more Hungarian influence. sign up on the link above to stay informed :slight_smile:

From what I’ve gathered above, it’s got an unfavorable reputation based on recent history, but people would not be averse to exploring it. Any other opinions?

@serge Sounds like a good food :slight_smile:
For now i’m still more ‘near beach’ type, but you never know … Cheers

I spent 3 months in Belgrade last summer and loved it.

Not sure if I would get bored in such a small town though. You have to sell us more on the place.

Thank you for your feedback everyone. It’s very useful insight and gives us direction in which to work. Serge

I’ve never been there, but I can’t help but imagine it being very similar to Croatia (which I have visited).

So that’s what I think… Croatia. But not the coastal Croatia, more like the central.

I also think of “old” and “Eastern Europe” and “Russian Orthodox” when I think of old buildings and churches. But I could be mistaken.

I’d love to visit, I was so close to it last September, but didn’t get a chance to go :slight_smile:

Good luck with the coworking community!

1 Like