Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,883) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What do you do to avoid plastic bottled water in Asia?

by @nomadaccountant 8yr  | 18 comments

If I stay somewhere for a while I usually get hard bottled bulk water containers, but often I have to rely on cheap plastic water bottles, which isnโ€™t good from both a health and environmental perspective. Have used a drink bottle with a filter but canโ€™t say I trusted it, and it was a little annoying. Any better options in use?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@joss 8yr

Drinking tea is a good alternative, if you donโ€™t want to buy plastic.
Tea is obviously everywhere in Asia, and so quite cheap.
You can boil you own water, using a immersion boiler. It does not take much space in the bag, and it is not overpriced: https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-Clark-Voltage-Immersion-Portable/dp/B0079LD03C?ie=UTF8&tag=tynan-20

Also, I like drinking hot water. Itโ€™s quite common in Asia, try it, and you may like it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@zsoltee 8yr

Malta has a bad taste tap water which is basically safe otherwise. As we stay here for longer, we bought a $20 carbon water filter from China :slight_smile: in the first month itโ€™s just perfect. Itโ€™s quite small, but Iโ€™m not sure I would carry it in a backpack however itโ€™s doable.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks all, liking the lifestraw and grayl!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@tla 8yr

I use LifeStraw Go, good for a 1000 litres. I drink around 3L a day, so I donโ€™t need to replace it for almost a year. Been using it around Asia with no problems - I just fill up with water from the tap and go. Definitely one of my favourite purchases.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Steripen is interesting. We had a filter bottle (canโ€™t remember the brand right now) but I guzzle water and the filtration process slowed me down too much and became annoying. I can see the steripen killing off live contaminants but what off chemicals and additives that remain in the water?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@wanderingdev Sorry to hear you didnโ€™t like your Steripen. Iโ€™ve been using one for years both for backcountry trips and in urban areas. I swear by it. Itโ€™s far easier to use than a filter and with a set of rechargeable batteries the only replacement part is the lamp which is good for thousands of litres.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

it just wasnโ€™t worth the effort and was one more thing to carry around. probably 70+% of the time Iโ€™m in a place where I can drink the water. I am not a huge fan of single use items in general, but definitely not ones that I donโ€™t even use all the time. Plus, I got sick of looking like an idiot all the time with my stupid pen. If youโ€™re back country hiking, sure. But when youโ€™re in the middle of a city? nope. not for me. maybe if I didnโ€™t do the single bag thing Iโ€™d be less concerned about carrying around what is basically a paper weight most of the time, but I doubt it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@anigupta 8yr

Has anyone tried the GRAYL filter bottle on Kickstarter?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Just looked at the GRAYLโ€ฆ very compelling until you get to the $40 cartridges needed every 300 fills. So if you drink 3L water a day, thatโ€™s 6 refills a dayโ€ฆ you need a new cartridge every 2 months. So not exactly helpful for nomads (shipping is hard for us, plus you hardly want to bring multiple cartridges with you) plus that is a very high regular cost to spend on a water bottle. Will stick to my steripen, as annoying as that is.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I got a GRAYL, havenโ€™t tried it in Asia or with really questionable water yet. But the founder sent me the testing data and looks solid. The filters should last for 300 uses, which seems like more than 2 months than me (they estimate at least 3, if you use it several times a day), and I imagine theyโ€™ll go down in price eventually. Iโ€™m sooo glad not to buying plastic bottled water any more - you canโ€™t always trust it either anyway.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@anigupta 8yr

@jdmcwalter Youโ€™re right. That filter replacement is a pita. This bottle is probably good for 1-2 month long trips. It still looks like an amazing product though, with the level of filteration it offers and no electronics.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I had a steripen when I first started traveling. I gave it up after about a week. Too much of a pain.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nomadtax 8yr

Glass bottles. Available in most grocery shops.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@zsoltee 8yr

I buy 19l huge bottles and struggle a bit to refill smaller bottles from this.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I buy 19l huge bottles and struggle a bit to refill smaller bottles from this.

I do this too if I know I stay somewhere for more than a week.

Another alternative maybe:

Iโ€™ve been using Sawyer water filter when I was trekking. Itโ€™s a small, yet very good product. Not sure if itโ€™d be relevant for usage in urban areas (i.e. filter water from the tap) in cities.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@ellen1 8yr

I use my Sawyer water filter for all waterโ€”urban, rural, outback. Works great.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I hate this too, especially since I drink a lot of water. I tried to buy the 5l bottles and just refilled mine.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Refill from bulk water bottles?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best blogs by individuals who have started businesses in Southeast Asia?

in Thailand by @haiducii 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey everyone,

Looking for blogs by individuals who document their progress/business in South East Asia - ideally Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos - but also Thailand/Myanmar too.

Thank you,

Haiducci

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you avoid settling in one place?

by @sukienniko 4yr 4 years ago  | 10 comments

As a follow up to my previous question (I guess I donโ€™t have the right to post links here?), but on a larger scale: if living as a nomad in a place for, say, more than a month (which will be beneficial for the sake of getting work done), how to you prevent yourself from getting too involved in the local society?

I find that every time I stay somewhere for a significant amount of time, I naturally start to settle into the idea that Iโ€™ll be there permanently, or at least long term. I guess this is human nature: wanting to have a stable lifestyle, with stable friends, relationship, workplace, recreational activities, etc. But, indeed, that is not my goal-- I believe the benefits of the nomadic lifestyle are far greater at this stage in my lifeโ€ฆ

So, for those of you who have successfully avoided settling somewhere time despite staying for months at a time, what strategies do you use to stay afloat, as in, not getting too deeply integrated locally?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you have time zone issues working remotely in Asia?

by @anniestrout 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Regarding remote work in Asia/Far East, How have or could you successfully navigate the time zone and internet issue. It sounds like you really have to use a cowork space there to have adequate connection but I would be working mainly in US time zones with 12 hour difference, are there spaces open 24 hours? Is it possible to get good internet with a long term rental instead? I would need a really good connection, which itโ€™s hard to tell if exists in some places at all. Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to avoid getting your stuff stolen?

by @matthieudrula 6yr 6 years ago  | 8 comments

Hey guys,
My question might be blunt ahah but โ€ฆ how do you get your stuff stolen?
Do you stay in hostels, or shady hotels? Or do you get robbed?
I stopped using hostel with outsiders and I pretty much only use budget hotel now.
I have heard about an app that take screenshots of your room and send it to you if it detects movement too so you can alert the hotel staff.
I donโ€™t want to make everybody paranoiac too ;).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do I need vaccinations for traveling in Asia?

by @fredrivett 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™ve been looking to travel for a few years now, and Iโ€™m finally at the point where Iโ€™m pretty much ready to get going, hopefully next month.

That said, Iโ€™ve not planned ahead well, and it only just occurred to me about vaccinations. Iโ€™ve done a bit of research and there are vaccinations available, but Iโ€™m unsure how necessary they are.

I plan to chat to my local nurse/doctor before going, but Iโ€™m also interested to hear whether most people do vaccinate at all before heading out or not?

In terms of specifics, Iโ€™m planning to fly to Japan and then move south, likely hitting up Thailand, Bali, Vietnam etc.

Not expecting any official health advice here, more just personal experience. Any thoughts appreciated :+1:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Bring external monitor to SE asia and avoid coworking cost?

by @anderkd 7yr 7 years ago  | 13 comments

Would it be advisable or wacky to lug an external monitor from the US in hopes of avoiding coworking costs by working from Airbnb with decent wifi? Iโ€™m not sold on coworking spaces, and like the solitude of coding away in my own little airbnb space. One screen is limiting to productivity, hence the love of an external monitor. Thoughts?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you avoid getting charged large fees by your bank when withdrawing overseas?

by @creative_nomad_ 7yr 7 years ago  | 14 comments

Hi All,

My question is about banking when it comes to being overseas/working etc. How do you avoid getting charged large fees by your bank when withdrawing overseas?

Iโ€™m originally from Australia and do my banking still in Australia. I live in the UK and most recently was living in Vietnam where I found I had to withdrawl money just to get charged very large amounts from my Aussie bank.

How do you get around this? What can you recommend.

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best places for local, organic food and strong internet outside of South East Asia?

by @jmacattak 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Where can I find locally sourced, organic (or at least non-GMO) and also be able to work with strong internet?
I did a search but didnโ€™t find much info. We love Bali and the food here is amazing, we are just looking to try somewhere else out (preferably somewhere in Europe) after a long time in Asia. We also loved the Northern Rivers area in Australia and want to find similar food offerings and compare our options!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is a 4G sim device in addition to phone advisable in SE Asia?

by @anderkd 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Iโ€™m planning a visit to Chiang Mai and Bali starting in April. I have a Google Nexus which has worked flawlessly in Mexico at least. Assuming it will work just as well in CM and Bali? If I decide not to work in a coworking space, but rather Airbnb w/wifi and/or Coffee shops wifi, would a dedicated 4g sim card device be worth spening $75 USD to purchase, plus local sim, plus potential SIM hassle, or just rely on Nexus hotspot + airbnb and coffee shop Wifi?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to easily open a personal/business account in SE Asia?

by @jakub 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey guysโ€ฆ Iโ€™m from a EU country but in the past 6 years I spent there just 3 weeks.

I have a bank account in Australia, since I spent there over 4 years. Now Iโ€™m mostly in Thailand or travelling around.

Because of my experiences

a) PayPal froze my account for several weeks until I was able to give them documents that are very difficult to get if Iโ€™m no longer in Australia

b) when applying for a tourist visa to Australia just to pick up rest of my stuff - itโ€™s supposed to be done within 48 hoursโ€ฆ well it took them 3 weeks just to ask me for additional details (that I already gave them with the application anyway) - I lost my tickets and bookings - of course no way to email them, call or whatever

This made me think about the fact that I have all my money in Australia. While Iโ€™m doing nothing illegal I canโ€™t risk that some โ€œofficerโ€ with a bad day decide to freeze my account to investigate whatever and Iโ€™ll be left with nothing for who knows how long. Not to mention they usually canโ€™t grasp the concept of perpetual travelling.

So my question - anyone has RECENT experience with opening a bank account in SE Asia? Either personal or business (thinking about UK LLP or US LLC)

It seems that

a) countries such Singapore has assumption that everyone and his dog is laundering moneyโ€ฆ $500 at a timeโ€ฆ

b) Thailand with lazy and incompetent staff where you ask to open non-resident bank account just to be told โ€œdonโ€™t haveโ€ โ€ฆ you point on the 3x3 metres huge board behind them listing interest for non-resident bank account - answer โ€œaaah, yes yes canโ€™t open, new rulesโ€ (even while having a Thai with me)

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to avoid Tax Residency/Wealth Tax in Spain?

in Spain by @palimpalim 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Iโ€™m planning to move to Spain this year, but Spain has a wealth tax for worldwide assets over 700.000โ‚ฌ if you are classified as a resident which I want to avoid.

Iโ€™ll try to be a short as possible:

• I am a german citizen and Iโ€™m renting a flat in London, UK but havenโ€™t stayed there a single day in 2016. (110 days in different countries in Asia, 10 days in Spain, 30 days in germany)
  • I own a flat in germany that I rent out to tenants (limited tax liability for the rental income in germany), but besides that I donโ€™t have any income except for a few dividends from my stocks
  • I am planning to fly to Thailand for 2 months beginning of December 2016

Although I am renting the UK flat until December 2016 I prefer not to be in UK, which would mean that I would not be classified as a UK-resident because I would not meet any of the automatic UK or sufficient tie tests.

Iโ€™d like to move to Spain as soon as possible but would be willing to stay out of it for x weeks to avoid being classified as a resident and save wealth tax.

Can anyone help me in this matter? whats my best line?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How can you avoid foreign banking, ATM, and transaction fees?

by @danielgenser 8yr 8 years ago  | 52 comments

Whatโ€™s the latest on how to avoid ATM/bank/foreign transaction fees? How do you keep track of money spent when youโ€™re never quite sure of the exact exchange rate? I normally use YNAB to keep on top of my budget here at home, but Iโ€™m dreading keeping tabs on all the minute foreign transaction adjustments abroadโ€ฆ

Iโ€™m looking at this to check out some of the banking options: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/02/the-top-11-checking-accounts-for-avoiding-foreign-atm-fees/

Have you used any of these?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What immunizations should I get for India and South East Asia?

in India by @robetus 8yr 8 years ago  | 17 comments

Iโ€™m leaving for India in about a month and then headed to Thailand and probably Indonesia. What immunizations should I get, and which ones did you get for these areas. The CDC says Hepatitis A and Typhoid for most and long list for some travelers. Iโ€™m also considering a Malaria prevention pill. I will be in India for 10 days and Thailand and Indonesia for about a month.

Any information regarding what other nomads have or have experience with would be greatly appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place to buy a laptop in Asia?

by @kathrynoh 8yr 8 years ago  | 9 comments

My laptop is having issues and Iโ€™d rather replace it before it gets too bad. Iโ€™m currently in Chiang Mai, going to Phnom Phen next week then to KL and Seoul.

My impression is that Seoul would be the best place for buying a replacement but Iโ€™m not sure what Iโ€™m basing that one.

Where in Asia am I likely to get the best bang for my buck?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Travel with expensive camera in South East Asia?

by @alejandrow 9yr 9 years ago  | 5 comments

Is there anyone here that have been traveling through South East Asia with expensive cameras and gear?

If so, do you guys have any tips or recommendations to not get robbed or lose your valuable camera. I really would like to use my camera while visiting South East Asia, but I am afraid that it will get stolen or something like that.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What does a DN pack in a first-aid kit for Central America or South Asia?

by @freedio 9yr 9 years ago  | 5 comments

Iโ€™m packing for Costa Rica (staying there end of September to end of October) and wonder what I should take along in my first-aid kit (if anything is necessary at all) โ€ฆ what do other DNs take along in terms of first-aid?

I will head on to Chiang Mai in late November for an extended stay in the triangle (CNX, BKK, SGN) โ€” which may or may not require completely different stuff.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best meditation and yoga retreats in Asia?

by @damirkotoric 9yr 9 years ago  | 9 comments

Thereโ€™s a bunch I can find by Googling but Iโ€™m after the hidden gems or at least some personal accounts. Iโ€™m after good teachers that hopefully speak some English. Picturesque, mountain locations would be the icing on the cake.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are your dream locations in Asia?

by @nomadaccountant 9yr 9 years ago  | 18 comments

We have been racking our brains to source our dream location:

• Surf
  • Dive/snorkel
  • Rockclimbing
  • Nomad working features such as safe, affordable, good internet and cool atmosphere
  • Preferably in Asia.

The most obvious choices seem to be in developed countries such as California, Sydney and the Basque region. However we are currently based in Asia and love the bustle of it all.

So far we have come up with a few seasonal options being Taiwan in the right time of year and the Philippines. Sri Lanka might be OK but we arenโ€™t sure on the internet and the climbing doesnโ€™t seem to be near the coast.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you avoid RSI while working remotely?

by @julinhio 9yr 9 years ago  | 1 comment

Itโ€™s been a while that I work long hours in front of my computer, and even though I have a pretty descent chair at home, when Iโ€™m on the road, it is quite a worry to figure out how to handle my chair situation. Especially the last 2 years, it got worse and Iโ€™m almost scared to not be able to work enough because of my back problems. I just wanted to know if anybody has the same problem, if anybody has some magic tricks, tips or equipment.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone changed European passport in Asia?

by @skatkov 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

I have only 3 empty pages left in my passport and according to speed of filling, I have 6 months. I donโ€™t really want to go back to Europe just to change my passport.

So, anyone had this problem? is it possible to add pages to passport in Asia (iโ€™ll be in Vietnam, Thailand and Taiwan during those dates)? Or maybe change it?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
530ms