Clear search
🌍 Go nomad 👋  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage 🌗  Dark mode ❤️  Your favorites 🚑  Nomad insurance 🥁  About
Community
❤️ Dating app 🤝  Friend finder 💬  Chat on Telegram 💈  Host meetup
new
🍹  Attend meetup 🌎  Members map
Tools
🏜  Explore 🎒  NomadGPT 📸  Vote on photos 🗓  Residence calendar 💸  FIRE calculator 🌤  Climate finder 💥  Fastest growing 📊  Nomad stats
new
🧪 State of remote work new 📜  History of nomads
new
🕸  Network graph 🔌  Fastest internet 🏆  Best place now 🔮  Random place 🔮  Random good place
Misc
📈  Pageviews (625K/mo) 🗳  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,921) 🛰  Remote jobs ✈️  Best airlines 🗺  Neighborhoods 🏡  Rebase 🏝  Coworkations 🏡  Interior AI 📸  Photo AI 🆘  Support
👋 We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine you’re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

👍
👎

What does your ideal nomad live/work space look like?

by @rand0mn0mad 9yr  | 10 comments

So, long story short, we’re going to be building a place from scratch near a beach in the southeast atlantic coast of the US and we expect to have lots of fellow techie and entrepreneur guests, so we’re gathering their suggestions and designing for them, to start with. However, that’s only a few dozen opinions. Since we would like to expand the circle and host host other digital nomads, individually or in small groups… your opinions would be fantastic to have as well. Be assured that they will be a part of the “wish list” that goes to the architects.

So if you were building a space from scratch can you tell us these sorts of things:

• How would you describe your ideal nomad setup?
  • What features have you absolutely loved in the past?
  • What have you disliked or even hated in other “nomad pads” in your travels?
  • What are your deal breakers for “would never stay there”?
  • What are your “nice to haves”?
  • How should it be set up to accommodate both individuals and
    groups?
  • If “features” were to be built over time, what would you
    want to see built first? (i.e. would it kill anyone if surfboard
    storage racks were not built the first year? or whatever…)
  • Do you prefer shared rooms or individual rooms or a mix?
  • If shared, are there ways to make that more comfortable? Such as “partial walls” or screens? Or do you not care at all?
  • Is there anything that would “blow your mind” or really make your
    stay great… what’s on your “wish list”? (ok, within reason,
    there’s a sensible budget, lol)
  • Do eco features matter to you? Would you enjoy your stay more if you knew your power was solar?
  • Are there any “house rules” that are “must haves” for you? Is there any way we can build things to specifically help/encourage adherence to those? (e.g. “there was always a battle for outlets so do this…” “here’s a picture of X place I stayed, they put the damn hotub right next to my room, it sucked, move it 30 feet away please!”)
  • Anything we’ve missed?

Please be as specific as you wish, since we won’t be retrofitting an existing space… we’ve got the freedom to make it as close to “ideal” as budget and time allow.

Your suggestions will matter, a lot. :slight_smile:

👍
👎
👍
👎
@miles 9yr

New here, I like your idea and even though I’m a few months late to this thread, I figured I throw out some ideas…

How would you describe your ideal nomad setup? - Separate master bed and full bath patio with table and desk. Suite would be carpeted with walk in closet that was quiet enough to record audio in, even when others are in the house.

What features have you absolutely loved in the past? Daily maid service who does everything from dishes to laundry and all cleaning… I stay focused on working and the space stays conducive to working! Also, a nice space to record audio/video… Carpeted walk in closets have worked wonders for recording audio tracks for video sales letters and info-products in the past. A recording studio with lighting and a green screen would be quite cool.

What have you disliked or even hated in other “nomad pads” in your travels? Poorly thought out workspaces. Usually I’m moving beds out and tables in to create offices… Then stacking nightstands on the tables when I want to stand and work… lol.

What are your deal breakers for “would never stay there”? Not having a private suite and full bathroom to ourselves… Wife and I work/travel together, so privacy is very important.

What are your “nice to haves”? A cook who can shop and make a couple meals per day… Fun outdoor activities and nature time nearby… A lake/ocean to SUP with SUPs on hand, surf break, hiking trails, walking distance to coffee shop / restaurant.

How should it be set up to accommodate both individuals and groups? Wings with suites and a center area to gather around the kitchen/living area/patio…

If “features” were to be built over time, what would you want to see built first? Comfortable quiet space, comfortable work space, and local staff for cleaning/cooking.

Is there anything that would “blow your mind” or really make your stay great… what’s on your “wish list”? - Sandy bottom surf break with consistent waves, no crowds and plenty of peaks for everyone to ride! …lol. Still searching for this one, myself!

Do eco features matter to you? Would you enjoy your stay more if you knew your power was solar? - Yes, but I think eco friendly flooring, furniture, bamboo sheets/bedding/towels would be even better.

👍
👎
👍
👎
@kmander 9yr

Strike the right balance between making it an open office that efficiently uses space and fosters community, and giving people some distraction-free space. I feel 90% of coworking spaces fail miserably at this.

👍
👎
👍
👎
@cee 9yr

I forgot that it needs a printer (fairly obvious).
So many travel documents, gov docs, etc still need to be printed out and trying to do that while wandering is - interesting. I’ve been forced to buy a cheap printer in more than one location…

👍
👎
👍
👎
@cee 9yr

It should provide a way to make decent coffee, decent wifi and wired ethernet, a space with a locking door, and somewhere comfortable to sit in front of a laptop that isn’t going to alert the local chiropractor of my presence.
… among other things.

👍
👎
👍
👎

No chiropractor alerting – Got it! :slight_smile: We’re fans of comfortable chairs too.
Thank you

👍
👎
👍
👎
@levelsio 9yr

Priority for me would be super fast and super stable internet. That means consistent 10ms ping to Google, 300ms ping to the other side of the world (e.g. max light speed), 500-1000 mbps download and 100-200 mbps upload (e.g. future proof gigabit connections straight into a backbone). Those look like crazy numbers but they’re not. If I want to upload 100GB on a 200mbps connection, that will still take me 1 hour. There’s plenty of people with over 100GB of media assets to work with (e.g. 3d animators, video people).

To give an example, I’m flying to Korea this February to upload 3 TB of data (my backups). There’s hardly any other places in the world where that is possible. It’s still gonna take a week.

All seating and desks should be highly ergonomic (e.g. something like Aeron chairs) and also lots of standing desks.

There should be an in-house healthy food cafeteria (like http://hubud.org) has.

I’d want different packages from shared to individual to luxury rooms. If shared, I’d look at capsule hotels in Tokyo as an example. They are tiny but private.

House rules should be silent rooms for working, and common sense whispering in the rest of the space (like http://hubbathailand.com).

I think eco does matter for more and more people in the future, again see what http://hubud.org has done for that (hint: their space is made out of bamboo).

I think you can cater to low-cost nomads, up to middle class dev’s, up to dev’s who want to use your space kind of as a retreat some time of the year and are willing to pay more.

👍
👎
👍
👎

Not to be a nitpicker, but uploading 1 GB over 200 MBit takes about 1 minute not several hours.
Most people dont upload/download constantly. We have a 100 MBit connection in Salzburg for about 40 coworkers. The connection is never saturated and mostly idling, even though people use it a lot.

So yes, fast internet is the basis of any good coworking space, but let’s stay with what’s actually available at reasonable rates in the specific location.

To build a brand new location, I would suggest to start with building the community before building the actual location. Try to get real commitments (=money) from people, not only ideas. In my experience lots of people have ideas about how to build the perfect space, but only few of them are actually going to help you pay the rent. Find those first, then build the space around their requirements.

👍
👎
👍
👎
@levelsio 9yr

The reason most remote workers are developers and designers and not visual effects, video, film, post-production is literally that speeds are not fast enough. If you want to be future proof, you make sure that speed is there.

[quote=“MatthiasEZeitler, post:3, topic:789”]
To build a brand new location, I would suggest to start with building the community before building the actual location.[/quote]

Yes, definitely. Build it and they will come doesn’t work anymore.

👍
👎
👍
👎

Thank you. Much appreciated.

👍
👎
👍
👎

Great links. Were considering some sort of capsule hotel idea for part of it. So glad to see that.

👍
👎
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

👍
👎

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- 🛂 Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- 🎓Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- 🏛 Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

👍
👎
👍
👎

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

👍
👎
👍
👎

Are there any digital nomads in the Islands e.g Bermuda, Barbuda, St. Kitts and Nevis?

in Antigua , Guatemala by @momo11 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Does anyone ever travel to any Islands like Bermuda, Barbados, Barbuda and St. Kitts & Nevis?

👍
👎
👍
👎

Best place in Portugal near cool nomads, good surf, and a great cowork spot

in Portugal by @joelnicholson 3yr 3 years ago  | 9 comments

Hi there, title says it all. Canadian nomad hoping to find the city/town in Portugal with great, consistent surfing, a solid coworking spot, and a fun group of young nomads. Please recommend!

👍
👎
👍
👎

Tax advisor for permanent nomads?

by @eljaques 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

I'm in need of a tax advisor who understands "our" typical situation. I'm all good on being legal on taxes at this point, but as I'm doing more investing and there's more compliance and KYC and such, it's getting more complicated to deal with this topic. Not living in my country of citizenship, company in another country, resident in yet another country, banking in a different country ... you know how it is, a pile of red flags.

Would be great to find a good tax advisor to sort things in a way that makes my situation as "explainable" and easily dealt with as possible. Any leads?

👍
👎
👍
👎

How to get into the digital nomad lifestyle?

in Switzerland by @filiptk 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi, I've got a question to anyone who had experience with the digital nomad lifestyle. I'm 24, I'm in my last year of university doing computer science, got 3 years of experience mostly doing web development.

I never liked the idea of staying in one place, getting a job and growing roots - hence the will to take the opportunity and travel the world. My main question is – how do I go about it? Are there any useful resources I could look into?

How do I go about insurance and such once I decide to move. I currently live in Switzerland and do freelance work for one company. It's not a lot, since my studies don't allow me to pick up a full time job, but it allows me to cover simple expenses.

I'd be happy to get some insight into how things work and also happy to network with anyone interested.

👍
👎
👍
👎

What is the best online insurance for digital nomads ?

by @berberos 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys ! hope you are doing well.

I would love to get your feedback regarding the best insurance for digital nomads. i'm traveling around Asia since 1 year and for next 4 or 5 years. Would love to buy an insurance to cover especially :

- health

- laptop, phone ...

- Flights

👍
👎
👍
👎

Any nomads working on startups?

by @mattlock 4yr 4 years ago  | 33 comments

Hoping to see all the cool stuff people are working on while they live an extraordinary life.

👍
👎
👍
👎

Any Ph.D students dissertating while a digital nomad?

by @larsheather 4yr 4 years ago  | 5 comments

Anyone know of any groups or resources for Ph.D. students working on dissertation while living as a digital nomad? I know there are several virtual writing groups around, but wondered if there were any specifically for digital nomads, particularly those who are dissertating.

Thanks!

👍
👎
👍
👎

Does international health insurance for digital nomads exist?

by @al_steffen 4yr 4 years ago  | 59 comments

Hey Nomads!

I’m looking for an international health insurance (no travel insurance) for my nomadic life. It should cover the basic services and at least be accepted in the EU (it’s ok if it’s not accepted in the US as I’m aware they rarely are). Nice to have: enter into a contract online. Anyone got a good experience or a recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

👍
👎
👍
👎

What is the gender split on NomadList?

by @iamhopeless 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

Just curious. What percentage of men vs women are on here.

👍
👎
👍
👎

How do you invest internationally as a nomad?

by @mateuszwieloch 4yr 4 years ago  | 17 comments

I have finally saved enough money to start investing. What company gives good, diversified access to stock, ETFs and mutual funds? Does it make sense to use company like Vanguard or Fidelity for that? I’m a EU/Poland citizen, how would I transfer my money back and forth without incurring significant fees?

👍
👎
👍
👎

I dream of being a digital nomad? How do I do it?

by @programmingmark 4yr 4 years ago  | 2 comments

Hello digital nomad!

I dream of being an independent digital nomad. But it feels very elusive & unattainable with my success rate. In full disclosure, whilst I have dreamed about making money online since high school; I have not earned a single cent making money online. $0, nada, zilch!! On the contrary, I have spent a lot of time & money on books, podcasts. Even though I have spent a lot of time reading/listening to others, I do not have anything to show for it!

I have made attempts in the past to start an online business, but these fizzle out quite quickly when I do not see traction especially when the goal I have set myself is too high.

Instead of reaching for the ultimate nomadic lifestyle goal, I want to start much smaller. Really small! I am simply looking to make $50 profit per month from a new online business. That’s it.

I need some advice from you please!

• Is $50 profit too low? How long did it take you to earn $50 profit per month?

• What is a good way of achieving this goal?

Thanks
Mark
aka the $0 online business entrepreneur

👍
👎
👍
👎

Are there any nomad meetups in Osaka?

in Osaka , Japan by @freddychanut 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

Will be in Osaka this April/May and was curious to discover interesting groups/events.
I had a look at FB + Meetup but there doesn’t seem to be much. Any advice on where to look?

👍
👎
👍
👎

How do digital nomads pay tax?

by @rodriigovieira 4yr 4 years ago  | 19 comments

Hello everyone! I’m new here and probably this is a very newbie question, but it doesn’t leave my head.

How do you, nomads, pay your taxes? I mean, if you’re constantly traveling, how are you going to pay taxes for a certain country if you are going to stay there a short period of time?
Or do you return to your “original country” and then pay them?

By the way, this forum has very nice cool formatting features! :smile:

👍
👎
👍
👎

Are there nomad families here and how do you choose your next destination?

by @martinratinaud 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

All members of my family has different needs and hobbies so how do you pick the perfect places?

👍
👎
👍
👎

My first time nomad-ing... Spain or Portugal?

in Portugal by @jasraj 4yr 4 years ago  | 6 comments

Hey everyone,

I’m a freelance + nomad newbie, off for my 1st proper trip in May. I’m wanting to spend a month somewhere and go from there.

I just came back from Slovenia/Ljubljana and loved it there (just a week). I don’t mind “sleepier” places par-say, as long as they’re close to a beach or nature of some kind. In fact, I kinda like places less-busy and a bit smaller/cosier.

I’m been swaying towards Porto, but have been impressed by the rave reviews I’ve seen for Valencia.

-> Have you every nomad-ed in a Spanish/Portuguese city? I’d love to know where and what you liked/disliked :slight_smile:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

👍
👎
👍
👎

How to save filter settings on Nomad List?

by @krzemian 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hey, is there currently a way to save filter settings? I feel like it would be helpful for planning the trip as I have several ideas on what to target and would like to cycle between them

👍
👎
👍
👎

Anyone know an accountant for Canadian nomads/expats?

by @noam_lightstone 4yr 4 years ago  | 16 comments

Hey guys, this was my first year as a Canadian nomad.

As far as I know of, Canadians don’t pay taxes if they do not live in the country for 6 months.

But I’d like to talk to an accountant or someone who does Canadian taxes specifically for expats and nomads to get clear on the rules and for help on my return coming up.

Does anyone know someone who specializes in Canada who can help? I’ve seen plenty of US recommendations but none for us canucks.

Thanks guys!

👍
👎
👍
👎

Best place for Digital Nomad in Latin America?

by @rose_davis 4yr 4 years ago  | 7 comments

Hi!

I am planning to move to Latin America for 3-4 months (Oct-January). I’ve narrowed down 6 different places that I want to visit before committing to settling down, but I’d love to get some community input.

Here are the cities I’m considering:

• Quito, Ecuador
  • Cuenca, Ecuador
  • Medellin, Columbia
  • Cartagena, Columbia
  • Antigua, Guatemala
  • San Marcos La Laguna, Guatemala

The most important things I’m looking for:

• Fast/easily accessible internet
  • Easy to meet other nomads/make friends in general
  • Safe for women
  • Some sort of spiritual community (I’m also a yoga teacher)
  • Easily walkable city

Anyone have any experience with these places and can give some insight? I’m also completely open to other recommendations.

Thanks!
Rose

👍
👎
USD ─ $
°C
Nomad cost
✨ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
409ms