Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,886) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best mobile carrier for a foreigner in USA?

by @wcitizen 9yr  | 4 comments

Hi DN community! Iโ€™m going to spend 4 month in US and wondering if somebody can recommend me cheap, but reliable=), mobile operator. Requirements:

• simcard should be suitable for my unlocked iPhone
  • minor usage of texting and callings
  • minor usage of internet data, but with 4G support
    Hope this makes sense. Happy to add more specific info, if needed.

Cheers!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@yako 9yr

I used my unlocked phone with t-mobile while in the US and everything worked fine.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

when Iโ€™m in the US I use this $30/month plan: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/other-prepaid-plans. Depends where youโ€™ll be though. coverage can be spotty.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@wcitizen 9yr

just checked plan, sounds great. Thanks!
Do you use unlocked smartphone with that plan or it works with T-mobile locked smartphones only?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

works with an unlocked phone. you can double check on the site that the model will work but Iโ€™ve used it with 3-4 phones of different types with no issues

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best American phone carrier for nomads

by @tylertringas 5yr 5 years ago  | 12 comments

Iโ€™m surprised this isnโ€™t anywhere on the forum yet. But just a pro tip for Americans about to start a nomad adventure. T-mobile offers unlimited SMS & data in 120 countries for FREE with any of their (already pretty cheap) plans. Itโ€™s ideal if you plan to be back in the US for any part of the year, but I honestly would consider it even if youโ€™re going to be entirely out of the country.

You get bumped down to much slower 3G speeds, but itโ€™s free and works as soon as you land. Can be super helpful before youโ€™ve sorted yourself out with a local SIM. I usually keep my T-mobile SIM in my iPhone all the time and then buy a local SIM and drop it in my pocket wifi for both laptop and iPhone when needed. I keep my local US number and just use it (itโ€™s like $0.05/min in most places) for important clients calls so they donโ€™t have to bother with Skype.

Iโ€™m not affiliated at all, just a happy customer. Anybody found a better deal worth mentioning?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best Voip for mobile use

by @flipchan 5yr 5 years ago  | 4 comments

im looking for a voip provider that offers inbound and outbound calls to all countries.
I want to replace my swedish sim card with a voip number so i dont get charged alot while traveling, does anyone have a stable voip provider to recommend?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best mobile-data option in New Zealand for nomads?

in New Zealand by @goldsaj 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi All! Iโ€™ve heard Spark and Vodafone are the best. I plan to move around, so I care mostly about having good coverage, and all Iโ€™ll need is around 1 GB of data or so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Foreigner owned Coworking business in Malaysia

in Malaysia by @newyam 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

Heyo folks! The idea to open up an own coworking space in Malaysia has been on my mind for quite a while and I would like to reach out on foreigners being a business owner/co working space owner in Malaysia, there are a lot of questions that would follow up but most importantly is to reach out to someone with experience.

Ideally would be someone who runs a coworking space in Malaysia, second best would be to just come in touch with a foreign business owner in Malaysia.
Cheers
Yamin

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

TMobile for Continuous Travel?

in Mobile , United States by @jackgopack 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

TMobile advises their international plan requires me to reside in the US for 3 months of each year, however I may be there only 1 month (or less). Anyone using their plan continuously? Rigid requirement?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How can I monitor my data usage when I have limited amounts of mobile data?

by @littleshiva 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

I use a mobile internet stick that gives me 1 gigabyte of bandwidth in a 24-hour period. If I use it all up in half that time (easy with print jobs) I have to either wait it out or use another stick. What are some of the things I can do to keep bandwidth from being used without my knowledge? (macbook pro / Yosemite) I looked in the activity monitor and safari seemed to be using a lot so I keep it off now when Iโ€™m not using it, and I paused synching on dropbox and creative cloud until Iโ€™m hooked up to wifi. Any other tricks?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best mobile-data option in Brazil for nomads?

in Brazil by @phil 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi everyone. I am new on this forum and will post in the introductory thread when I have some more time. My question is:

Whatโ€™s the best mobile-data option in Brazil for nomads?

background info to the question: I bought a vevo (vivo?) sim the other day and charged up around $7US on recharge.com. it seems now that I can only send text messages but cannot call other people or get internet. I will be in brazil for min 5 weeks max 3 months. sorry if Iโ€™ve posted this in the wrong section.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you deal with getting data on your mobile while travelling?

by @nomads_and_drifters 7yr 7 years ago  | 15 comments

Hi,
I wondered how everybody deals with getting data on their phone in each country they travel. Is there a way around it? It is always such a pain having to buy and activate sim cards everywhere. I have tried the company โ€œworldsimโ€ and had an international sim for a while, but they where terrible and ended up to be super expensive.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Whatโ€™s the best mobile-data option in Poland for nomads?

in Poland by @swynt 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi everyone! I will be heading to Poland in two weeks for around ten days. I will be in Poznan, Gdansk, Warschau and Krakau for travelling (the main purpose) and working (as freelancer). For working purpose, I need to be able to connect to internet for most of the time. So, could anyone give any advise which sim card and mobile data option should I get? It doesnโ€™t have to be cheap, but it should have good coverage area and big data plan (around 3 - 5 GB). Thanks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Whatโ€™s the best mobile-data option in Portugal for nomads?

in Portugal by @swynt 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi everyone! I will be heading to Portugal next week for around one week. I will be mostly in Lisbon and Porto. For working purpose, I need to be online for most of the time. So, could anyone give any advise which sim card and mobile data option should I get? It doesnโ€™t have to be cheap, but it should have good coverage area and big data plan (around 3 - 5 GB). Thanks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What mobile plans do you recommend in Guatamala and Belize?

in Belize by @tschentscher 8yr 8 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi every one.
Iโ€™m travelling to Guatamala and Belize in a couple of days and was wondering whatโ€™s the best mobile-data option (Best speed and coverage) around here? Iโ€™ve looked at Tigo or Claro. Do you have any recommendations?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place in South East Asia to get something shipped from USA?

by @tylertringas 8yr 8 years ago  | 10 comments

I want to buy a new backpack and get it shipped from the US. Iโ€™m currently in Ubud and generally in Southeast Asia for the next few months. Whatโ€™s the most reliable place to get a product shipped to?

I know Hubud will let you receive packages but Iโ€™m a little too nervous about customs grabbing it or it taking forever and arriving after Iโ€™m gone (here for 1 month). The shipping cost to me is free and Iโ€™m happy to pay a reasonable fee to customs or whatever to get it reliably delivered. Any specific tips for Bali? Anybody successfully done this?

Places like Singapore and Hong Kong are a bit later in the schedule, wondering if those are generally more reliable places for this kind of thing and worth it to just wait until then.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best mobile app for finding the fastest wifi hotspots nearby?

by @thom801 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™m currently using Wifi Map Pro on iOS. Works pretty well, but no indication of speed or quality on that app. Any ideas?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the options for mobile internet in Phuket, Thailand?

in Phuket , Thailand by @alejandrow 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi,

I will be traveling in Thailand from november to december and would like to know which internet option I should choose. I need to use internet for writing and research and also 1-2 skype calls a week.

I need whatโ€™s best in Krabi and Phuketโ€ฆ I already have an unlocked pocket Wi-Fi that allows both 3G and 4G, so I only need a Sim Card filled with internet. Unlimited data would be the best, but in reality I would be fine with around 10 GB if the speed is good.

So which options do I have and what are your experience?

Regards!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best mobile hotspot device for international travel?

by @stefanlesser 8yr 8 years ago  | 7 comments

Browsing this forum a lot, I learned that the best option for mobile data is buying a local SIM card in pretty much every country I go to. Ok, thatโ€™s manageable.

Now I was wondering which mobile hotspot to buy, because I will have more devices with me that I want to connect to the Internet, and my girlfriend will have even more devices with her to connect, too.

When I was looking at just one manufacturerโ€™s offerings, Iโ€™m already overwhelmed by the complexity of options.

Should I just use my main mobile phoneโ€™s hotspot feature for this?
Should I get a separate mobile hotspot device for that? Which one? Any recommendations?
How do you do this?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking for an LTE carrier/plan that covers most of Europe and is good for tethering?

by @thom801 8yr 8 years ago  | 13 comments

Iโ€™m going to be traveling through and working in many countries in Europe this year and Iโ€™m hoping to either use my T-Mobile iPhone 6 (should work based on my research) or I can buy a hotspot to tether internet. This way I can work anywhere and not have to be asking for wifi passwords etc all the time. Does anyone know a good carrier/plan/hotspot? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also: Iโ€™m always looking for great designers and developers to work with. Contact me if youโ€™re interested. I have plenty of work for you :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best mobile-data option in Thailand for nomads?

in Thailand by @iamfledge 8yr 8 years ago  | 17 comments

As I donโ€™t know how long I may be in Thailand so canโ€™t commit to a minimum term like a 12-month contract (1-month rolling is ok).

Iโ€™m hoping to find the best SIM to stick in my phone and get as much data as possible - ideally enough for laptop tethering when Wi-Fi isnโ€™t immediately available also.

Is it possible to either sign-up in advance and get it delivered; or to get it from a shop and activate it that day? Or is there a waiting time of days for it to be sent and activated?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best 3G/4G carrier for Bali?

by @jruz 8yr 8 years ago  | 7 comments

Hi, Im going to spend 2 month in Bali mainly in Ubud.
Iโ€™m getting a Hubud membership but donโ€™t want to be trapped there all the time, so I want some reliable mobile connection.

So far Iโ€™ve been checking out:

From the coverage maps on their websites, seems they all cover pretty well the Kuta area, but but other areas not.

My usage is mainly: Github, Slack and one daily Video Call.

Do you have some recommendation on this? I was thinking on Indosat.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What visa do I need to work as a freelancer in the USA?

by @tuliptraveler 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

I am a UK graphic designer and would love to spend anywhere between 3 months to 6 months in America traveling and freelancing at the same time. I have looked into visas but unsure whether I need a working visa or if I can get away with the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)? Also, if I do some design work for a local business, would this be allowed?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What gear do you use for mobile wifi?

by @richlitt 9yr 9 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™ve got an iPhone 5s, which I have used to work remotely by tethering in Europe and in the States. Iโ€™m heading to SEA in a couple of weeks, and Iโ€™ll be getting a SIM card there - but should I buy something else, with better range, or for the local 3G connection there?

What do you use?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
491ms