What is the best VPN for South East Asia?

+1 for TORGuard and there are 50% off codes out there just Google for them

Been in China for 3 months. MyVPN has worked for sure. Also agree to get it sorted out before you travel!

Don’t recommend BT Guard

@karel, I think you should have mentioned that you used an affiliate link there. It might cloud your judgment somewhat.

@FabHK You are right. Though, this is not the reason I shared it nor does it cloud my judgement. As I care more for sharing my experience than the (non-existent) commission, I changed the link.

nomadtunnel.com is a great VPN for nomads (as the name implies). They have servers in all the nomad hotspots, allow multiple connections and cost only 5$ per month.

Hi freedomsurfer, the nomadtunnel website has very little information available (server locations, supported protocols, supported platforms, number of simultaneous connections, logging policy…). It does not look very technical, or very legit for that matter. (your website, on the other hand, is rather informative :smile: )

I know :slight_smile: but they are only half of my trip, and it’s easier than going “East and South East Asia”.

Okay so results so far:

Recommended:

• MyVPN
  • AirVPN
  • Cloak
  • HideMyAss
  • Tunnelbear
  • TorGuard x 2

Not Recommended:

• BT Guard

Thanks for the recommendations so far, folks!

1 Like

+1 On GetCloak. I last year I had a little slowness using it from SEA (ie. getting 10Mbps instead of 20Mbps), but that was infrequent and got better towards the end of my last run through SEA. Support was fabulous helping troubleshoot too.

FWIW, usually my connection from Thailand or Indonesia would terminate in Japan, sometimes Vladivostok or Korea (IIRC), it bounced around, but mostly Japan.

However I know Cloak uses Linode a lot and Linode just opened up a new data center in Singapore. I haven’t been in SEA since that change, but I’m guessing that’ll help Cloak users in SEA tremendously.

Aha, I recommend IronSocket as your VPN provider around South East Asia and as far as Australia. Been hearing true rumors they are popular in Australia and of course in South East Asia because they are based in Hong Kong. Thus, you don’t have to worry about the speed. Plus, they are good on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO and others. Also, good in business matters.
So, if you want a VPN around SE Asia then it is for you. Set up one yourself and have fun. Cheers.

This article on Torrent Freak is a great run down of proper VPN services.

1 Like

I’m looking to possibly use Express VPN. Has anyone had any experience using this service, and would you recommend it or should I use one of the other ones listed here in the topic? Thanks!

I’ve been using https://proxy.sh for evil and good.
Found them on the last year article on Torrent Freak, as @inthaiguy recommends.

The main thing here with VPN providers is that even if they don’t log, and run on ram disks, they can sniff your traffic, so its just a matter of the lesser evil.

I’ve been using PrivateInternetAccess for some time now and have traveled extensively in China and SEA. No complaints!

Hello,

HideMyAss is the best vpn service, I use it for more than 2 years without any problems disconnecting or bandwidth.

464 VPN servers in 61 countries
Hide behind 56’000 + IP addresses
OpenVPN, L2TP, PPTP and protocols
Free HMA! Pro VPN software
Supports PC, Mac, phone, tablets
Unlimited data transfer
30 day money back guarantee

Besides their VPN service is on promotion until the end of the month

Seen that HideMyAss is much more complete than VpnTunnel, and are now the same price.

Most of VPNs are working fine for the following counteries.
Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Singapore, Indonesia.
But for China, policies are really strict so few VPN Providers are able to perform well.
If you want to choose one VPN for all then you have following options:
ipVanihs
ExpressVPN
HMA
PureVPN.
If you need detail then visit: http://www.vpnranks.com/the-5-best-vpns/

ZPN have a vpn servers in Singapore, Vietnam, Japan and HongKong in South east asia. Their SSL VPN option for China and servers in Asia in their premium package. GFW blocked most of the vpn services in China. zpn.im

I’ve been using https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/. It’s about $7 a month and is extremely easy to use (on a Mac).

+1 for Tunnelbear. I have been using them for about a year now across Thailand and Vietnam with great success.

1 Like

I’m using the same n considering to go paid. Though 1.5 GB free data is enough for me so far.