Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (635K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,990) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best VPN for South East Asia?

by @basicallydan 9yr  | 37 comments

Iโ€™m going to be in various parts of South East Asia for 5 months (Japan, Korea, Vietnam, China, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Singapore, Indonesia) and I have decided based on much reading that I need to get a VPN set up for myself. Rather than using my own server, Iโ€™d like to set up with a paid service which will have various places around the work to connect through which are reliable and appropriate for what Iโ€™m doing (e.g. banking, chatting, emailing watching streaming TV from home, or Netflix).

Iโ€™m sure there are plenty of recommendations out there.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

You may try VPN Asia. This one i build myself with my partners. Not sure if it was good enough for SEA, but at least you can try :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m back in China and have been having great success with VyprVPN this time around. Their Chameleon protocol has been working great!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

This is a China VPN service provider, I think it may work all around south east Asia regions http://www.vpnfaqs.com/2014/11/china-vpn-service-provider/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

For China VPNs, this list of best VPNs for China is quite helpful: http://www.vpndada.com/best-vpns-for-china/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve been using VPN in China for some time now. For finding a good VPN provider to be used in China, I usually go to this site: http://www.vpndada.com. They have a list of Best VPNs for China.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@azurio 9yr

Iโ€™ve been pretty happy with GetCloak on my MacBook and iPad.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

+1 for Tunnelbear. I have been using them for about a year now across Thailand and Vietnam with great success.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve been using https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/. Itโ€™s about $7 a month and is extremely easy to use (on a Mac).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@thardy 9yr

ZPN have a vpn servers in Singapore, Vietnam, Japan and HongKong in South east asia. Their SSL VPN option for China and servers in Asia in their premium package. GFW blocked most of the vpn services in China. zpn.im

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most of VPNs are working fine for the following counteries.
Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Singapore, Indonesia.
But for China, policies are really strict so few VPN Providers are able to perform well.
If you want to choose one VPN for all then you have following options:
ipVanihs
ExpressVPN
HMA
PureVPN.
If you need detail then visit: http://www.vpnranks.com/the-5-best-vpns/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@takiki 9yr

Hello,

HideMyAss is the best vpn service, I use it for more than 2 years without any problems disconnecting or bandwidth.

464 VPN servers in 61 countries
Hide behind 56โ€™000 + IP addresses
OpenVPN, L2TP, PPTP and protocols
Free HMA! Pro VPN software
Supports PC, Mac, phone, tablets
Unlimited data transfer
30 day money back guarantee

Besides their VPN service is on promotion until the end of the month

Seen that HideMyAss is much more complete than VpnTunnel, and are now the same price.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve been using PrivateInternetAccess for some time now and have traveled extensively in China and SEA. No complaints!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jruz 9yr

Iโ€™ve been using https://proxy.sh for evil and good.
Found them on the last year article on Torrent Freak, as @inthaiguy recommends.

The main thing here with VPN providers is that even if they donโ€™t log, and run on ram disks, they can sniff your traffic, so its just a matter of the lesser evil.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@eddie 9yr

Iโ€™m looking to possibly use Express VPN. Has anyone had any experience using this service, and would you recommend it or should I use one of the other ones listed here in the topic? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@inthaiguy 9yr

This article on Torrent Freak is a great run down of proper VPN services.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Aha, I recommend IronSocket as your VPN provider around South East Asia and as far as Australia. Been hearing true rumors they are popular in Australia and of course in South East Asia because they are based in Hong Kong. Thus, you donโ€™t have to worry about the speed. Plus, they are good on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO and others. Also, good in business matters.
So, if you want a VPN around SE Asia then it is for you. Set up one yourself and have fun. Cheers.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 9yr

+1 On GetCloak. I last year I had a little slowness using it from SEA (ie. getting 10Mbps instead of 20Mbps), but that was infrequent and got better towards the end of my last run through SEA. Support was fabulous helping troubleshoot too.

FWIW, usually my connection from Thailand or Indonesia would terminate in Japan, sometimes Vladivostok or Korea (IIRC), it bounced around, but mostly Japan.

However I know Cloak uses Linode a lot and Linode just opened up a new data center in Singapore. I havenโ€™t been in SEA since that change, but Iโ€™m guessing thatโ€™ll help Cloak users in SEA tremendously.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Okay so results so far:

Recommended:

• MyVPN
  • AirVPN
  • Cloak
  • HideMyAss
  • Tunnelbear
  • TorGuard x 2

Not Recommended:

• BT Guard

Thanks for the recommendations so far, folks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

nomadtunnel.com is a great VPN for nomads (as the name implies). They have servers in all the nomad hotspots, allow multiple connections and cost only 5$ per month.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fabhk 9yr

Hi freedomsurfer, the nomadtunnel website has very little information available (server locations, supported protocols, supported platforms, number of simultaneous connections, logging policyโ€ฆ). It does not look very technical, or very legit for that matter. (your website, on the other hand, is rather informative :smile: )

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Been in China for 3 months. MyVPN has worked for sure. Also agree to get it sorted out before you travel!

Donโ€™t recommend BT Guard

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

https://www.tunnelbear.com/ is pretty neat, plus you get a free gb upgrade for tweeting about them.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@denharsh 9yr

Iโ€™m using the same n considering to go paid. Though 1.5 GB free data is enough for me so far.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@karel 9yr

I have been using TorGuard for a year and really like it. It is in my experience the best (though not the prettiest). I have tried many different ones, nothing come close to TORGuard in terms of quality, speed and number of locations. Plus it is one of the rare VPN that do not log your data and respect your privacy.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fabhk 9yr

@karel, I think you should have mentioned that you used an affiliate link there. It might cloud your judgment somewhat.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@karel 9yr

@FabHK You are right. Though, this is not the reason I shared it nor does it cloud my judgement. As I care more for sharing my experience than the (non-existent) commission, I changed the link.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@maguire 9yr

+1 for TORGuard and there are 50% off codes out there just Google for them

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 9yr

Pssst, you do realise that Japan, Korea and China arenโ€™t actually in SE Asia? :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I know :slight_smile: but they are only half of my trip, and itโ€™s easier than going โ€œEast and South East Asiaโ€.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for the recommendations, folks!

I like the multi-platformness of AirVPN but their website uuuugly. I shall try and not judge based on that. Prices are really straightforward too. Cheers @FabHK

@PTnomad so are you saying Proxify is no good, or just that itโ€™s no good unless youโ€™ve already set it up?

Hide.me seems to be Windows only, sadly. And Cloak, while it looks very user friendly, is probably not for me, as my primary phone is an Android.

P.S. Further recommendations based on personal experience are still very welcome, Iโ€™m not leaving the UK for another couple of months. Plenty of time to decide.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@oriane 9yr

This one works on all devices https://www.hidemyass.com/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Happy https://www.getcloak.com/ user here. Really smart on iOS too (if you use that).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fabhk 9yr

I use AirVPN, they have servers in many countries, including one in Singapore and HK, respectively. Good service, strong commitment to privacy, many options, nice GUI client. However, frequently here (e.g. on small islands in Indonesia) the wifi is just so slow that itโ€™s a bit of a hassle just to log in, and I wouldnโ€™t count on streaming video. At least the GUI client provides many options (choice of protocol, skip DNS and route testing, etc.).
Iโ€™m not aware of any better provider with servers in SEA, would love to hear about it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fabhk 9yr

AirVPN allows 3 simultaneous connections, using OpenVPN (just need to use different servers, but thatโ€™s trivial). Works on OS X, Linux, Win, iOS, and I believe Android. On OS X, it supports a network lock (i.e. all traffic outside the VPN tunnel is blocked).
Astrill has an impressive server list, including HK, Sing, and Indonesia. Not sure how good the client is. One laptop and one mobile device at a time.
In my view, the services explicitly aimed at the P2P crowd (hidemyass etc.) are not as good in overcoming censorship etc. while traveling.
Iโ€™ve had a hard time getting decent VPN speeds in China.
Oh, and Peter is right in that you should get things set up and working before you come, and if you have the choice, set things up such that IP addresses of the VPN servers are stored (rather than just their names), as many places (e.g. China) do aggressive DNS poisoning.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@oriane 9yr

You can use this one https://hide.me/en/ is one the best. I am working with them :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@replay 9yr

Iโ€™m in China now and Astrill seems to work quite OK for me. Also many people here are telling me that Shadowsocks is good.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@opt 9yr

China:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10101469

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best blogs by individuals who have started businesses in Southeast Asia?

in Thailand by @haiducii 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey everyone,

Looking for blogs by individuals who document their progress/business in South East Asia - ideally Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos - but also Thailand/Myanmar too.

Thank you,

Haiducci

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you have time zone issues working remotely in Asia?

by @anniestrout 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Regarding remote work in Asia/Far East, How have or could you successfully navigate the time zone and internet issue. It sounds like you really have to use a cowork space there to have adequate connection but I would be working mainly in US time zones with 12 hour difference, are there spaces open 24 hours? Is it possible to get good internet with a long term rental instead? I would need a really good connection, which itโ€™s hard to tell if exists in some places at all. Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do I need vaccinations for traveling in Asia?

by @fredrivett 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™ve been looking to travel for a few years now, and Iโ€™m finally at the point where Iโ€™m pretty much ready to get going, hopefully next month.

That said, Iโ€™ve not planned ahead well, and it only just occurred to me about vaccinations. Iโ€™ve done a bit of research and there are vaccinations available, but Iโ€™m unsure how necessary they are.

I plan to chat to my local nurse/doctor before going, but Iโ€™m also interested to hear whether most people do vaccinate at all before heading out or not?

In terms of specifics, Iโ€™m planning to fly to Japan and then move south, likely hitting up Thailand, Bali, Vietnam etc.

Not expecting any official health advice here, more just personal experience. Any thoughts appreciated :+1:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best places for local, organic food and strong internet outside of South East Asia?

by @jmacattak 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Where can I find locally sourced, organic (or at least non-GMO) and also be able to work with strong internet?
I did a search but didnโ€™t find much info. We love Bali and the food here is amazing, we are just looking to try somewhere else out (preferably somewhere in Europe) after a long time in Asia. We also loved the Northern Rivers area in Australia and want to find similar food offerings and compare our options!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is a 4G sim device in addition to phone advisable in SE Asia?

by @anderkd 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Iโ€™m planning a visit to Chiang Mai and Bali starting in April. I have a Google Nexus which has worked flawlessly in Mexico at least. Assuming it will work just as well in CM and Bali? If I decide not to work in a coworking space, but rather Airbnb w/wifi and/or Coffee shops wifi, would a dedicated 4g sim card device be worth spening $75 USD to purchase, plus local sim, plus potential SIM hassle, or just rely on Nexus hotspot + airbnb and coffee shop Wifi?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any VPN providers specifically suited to nomads?

by @nomadfamily 7yr 7 years ago  | 10 comments

hi, I have been using a free VPN for a while.
Just wondering though, im planning on travelling into china and wanted to know if there were any VPNโ€™s that anyone can recommend that are safe within china.

As I undertstand the Chinese are aware of some VPNโ€™s and have blocked them. Not sure if that is true or not, but would be really great to know more.

Also any one think any particular VPN provider is better suited to nomads and why?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to easily open a personal/business account in SE Asia?

by @jakub 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey guysโ€ฆ Iโ€™m from a EU country but in the past 6 years I spent there just 3 weeks.

I have a bank account in Australia, since I spent there over 4 years. Now Iโ€™m mostly in Thailand or travelling around.

Because of my experiences

a) PayPal froze my account for several weeks until I was able to give them documents that are very difficult to get if Iโ€™m no longer in Australia

b) when applying for a tourist visa to Australia just to pick up rest of my stuff - itโ€™s supposed to be done within 48 hoursโ€ฆ well it took them 3 weeks just to ask me for additional details (that I already gave them with the application anyway) - I lost my tickets and bookings - of course no way to email them, call or whatever

This made me think about the fact that I have all my money in Australia. While Iโ€™m doing nothing illegal I canโ€™t risk that some โ€œofficerโ€ with a bad day decide to freeze my account to investigate whatever and Iโ€™ll be left with nothing for who knows how long. Not to mention they usually canโ€™t grasp the concept of perpetual travelling.

So my question - anyone has RECENT experience with opening a bank account in SE Asia? Either personal or business (thinking about UK LLP or US LLC)

It seems that

a) countries such Singapore has assumption that everyone and his dog is laundering moneyโ€ฆ $500 at a timeโ€ฆ

b) Thailand with lazy and incompetent staff where you ask to open non-resident bank account just to be told โ€œdonโ€™t haveโ€ โ€ฆ you point on the 3x3 metres huge board behind them listing interest for non-resident bank account - answer โ€œaaah, yes yes canโ€™t open, new rulesโ€ (even while having a Thai with me)

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What do you do to avoid plastic bottled water in Asia?

by @nomadaccountant 8yr 8 years ago  | 18 comments

If I stay somewhere for a while I usually get hard bottled bulk water containers, but often I have to rely on cheap plastic water bottles, which isnโ€™t good from both a health and environmental perspective. Have used a drink bottle with a filter but canโ€™t say I trusted it, and it was a little annoying. Any better options in use?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you care about using a shared IP on VPN?

by @refuseillusion 8yr 8 years ago  | 11 comments

When using a VPN you will almost always share your IP with others (several members connect to the VPN server and all members on that server now share the serverโ€™s IP address).
If someone using the same IP address gets flagged, it could pass on to you as well.
A lot of companies have incorporated IP address filters. For example your PayPal account could get limited because you share an IP address with a scammer.

Has using a shared IP resulted in problems for you?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What immunizations should I get for India and South East Asia?

in India by @robetus 8yr 8 years ago  | 17 comments

Iโ€™m leaving for India in about a month and then headed to Thailand and probably Indonesia. What immunizations should I get, and which ones did you get for these areas. The CDC says Hepatitis A and Typhoid for most and long list for some travelers. Iโ€™m also considering a Malaria prevention pill. I will be in India for 10 days and Thailand and Indonesia for about a month.

Any information regarding what other nomads have or have experience with would be greatly appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place to buy a laptop in Asia?

by @kathrynoh 8yr 8 years ago  | 9 comments

My laptop is having issues and Iโ€™d rather replace it before it gets too bad. Iโ€™m currently in Chiang Mai, going to Phnom Phen next week then to KL and Seoul.

My impression is that Seoul would be the best place for buying a replacement but Iโ€™m not sure what Iโ€™m basing that one.

Where in Asia am I likely to get the best bang for my buck?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Travel with expensive camera in South East Asia?

by @alejandrow 9yr 9 years ago  | 5 comments

Is there anyone here that have been traveling through South East Asia with expensive cameras and gear?

If so, do you guys have any tips or recommendations to not get robbed or lose your valuable camera. I really would like to use my camera while visiting South East Asia, but I am afraid that it will get stolen or something like that.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What does a DN pack in a first-aid kit for Central America or South Asia?

by @freedio 9yr 9 years ago  | 5 comments

Iโ€™m packing for Costa Rica (staying there end of September to end of October) and wonder what I should take along in my first-aid kit (if anything is necessary at all) โ€ฆ what do other DNs take along in terms of first-aid?

I will head on to Chiang Mai in late November for an extended stay in the triangle (CNX, BKK, SGN) โ€” which may or may not require completely different stuff.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best meditation and yoga retreats in Asia?

by @damirkotoric 9yr 9 years ago  | 9 comments

Thereโ€™s a bunch I can find by Googling but Iโ€™m after the hidden gems or at least some personal accounts. Iโ€™m after good teachers that hopefully speak some English. Picturesque, mountain locations would be the icing on the cake.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are your dream locations in Asia?

by @nomadaccountant 9yr 9 years ago  | 18 comments

We have been racking our brains to source our dream location:

• Surf
  • Dive/snorkel
  • Rockclimbing
  • Nomad working features such as safe, affordable, good internet and cool atmosphere
  • Preferably in Asia.

The most obvious choices seem to be in developed countries such as California, Sydney and the Basque region. However we are currently based in Asia and love the bustle of it all.

So far we have come up with a few seasonal options being Taiwan in the right time of year and the Philippines. Sri Lanka might be OK but we arenโ€™t sure on the internet and the climbing doesnโ€™t seem to be near the coast.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone changed European passport in Asia?

by @skatkov 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

I have only 3 empty pages left in my passport and according to speed of filling, I have 6 months. I donโ€™t really want to go back to Europe just to change my passport.

So, anyone had this problem? is it possible to add pages to passport in Asia (iโ€™ll be in Vietnam, Thailand and Taiwan during those dates)? Or maybe change it?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any Apple users interested in beta testing my VPN service?

by @portable 9yr 9 years ago  | 19 comments

Hi,

Iโ€™m a digital nomad (coming up to 3 years / 30 countries), software developer and run a VPN network.

Over the past few months Iโ€™ve scaled up the VPN network to include a lot of new countries (and popular nomad destinations) including Thailand, Turkey, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, India, Mexico, Chile and a load of others.

Several locations have been configured to route across Tier 1 networks to Europe and the US so should help improve international bandwidth. (often the problem with Internet access in some countries is that you have a great connection to local services within that country but poor international connectivity. By connecting to a decent VPN server located in that country and then routing across premium bandwidth you can often get significantly better results).

Iโ€™m wondering if any techy Mac/iPhone/iPad users in some of these locations would be interested in testing and providing feedback on the services. Iโ€™ll give you a free subscription and can work with you to give you the best connection. Youโ€™ll have a network of 50 servers in 30 countries to connect to, and with your feedback hopefully I can tweak the network to give the best performance for other nomads.

Iโ€™m not sure if I can post a link to the apps (donโ€™t want my first post to be seen as spam) so reply to this thread if youโ€™re interested.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Start an online business in Australia or Asia?

in Australia by @liztai 9yr 9 years ago  | 23 comments

This is something Iโ€™m really torn about. I really love the lifestyle in Australia, but the high living costs means that I have to work hard at my day job to pay the bills while I get things off the ground. I wonโ€™t be able to save much either.

In Malaysia, Iโ€™ll have a stable day job, free accommodation and lower costs of living, but am unsure if itโ€™ll be more difficult to get my online biz off the ground because Iโ€™m not sure about the business contacts I can get in Malaysia.

What do you think? Start a biz in Australia or Asia?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How common is purse snatching and backpack-slashing in South East Asia?

by @alejandrow 9yr 9 years ago  | 5 comments

So, I have read a couple of horror stories that tells you all about the purse snatching business, especially in Southeast Asia and of course the slashing where they cut your backpack or bag with razorsโ€ฆ

I just want to know how common these type of crime is right now in SEA. Is this something that you need to keep in mind all the time, or are they rare?

I mean if you dont put yourself at risk by:

1. leaving your things unattended
  2. showing valuables
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's a great place for remote work and self-realization in SE Asia?

by @ambal 9yr 9 years ago  | 1 comment

Hello everyone!

Just want to try my luck and ask experienced travellers here where to go in South Eastern Asia. Would be great if someone could name some options that match these requirements:

• Safety, friendly people
  • Beach proximity: flat water, watersports stationsโ€ฆ (Lagoon or bay?..)
  • Civilization: shops, transport hubs nearby
  • Education: English classes, music courses (drums, guitar, vocals, etc.)
  • Affordable accomodation: house or studio/condo
  • Stable internet connection
  • Possibility to get visa for a few months stay.

So, any thoughts? Country, region, town, or maybe the exact place?

Thanks in advance and best of luck!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
533ms