Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,886) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the first thing I should do when I land in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @joshuaballard 7yr  | 11 comments

I have been tempted by the digital nomad lifestyle for quite some time now.

I purposefully built a business that allowed me to work anywhere that has my PC and an internet connection, but then ended up renting an office and just going about life business as usual in the town I grew up in.

I finally booked tickets for a few months in Asia, and will be landing in Chiang Mai on the 17th of March

(which someone pointed out to me is actually the smokey season, which iโ€™m reading about now)

For a first time digital nomad, what would you recommend as the first point of call when landing in a new city?

thanks for any shared wisdom all

Joshua

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@freedio 7yr

First thing I do before arriving in a new place is making sure I have an accommodation for the first 3 days (AirBnB is always my first bet), that there are coworking spaces (www.coworker.com and the nomad forum are my best sources), and that the two locations are as close as possible.
In Chiang Mai, my best bet was Houzzel360, because it is nearby Punspace Tha Phae Gate โ€ฆ and this was an excellent choice, because both places are smack in the middle of the old town, where you can find most of the interesting things defining Chiang Mai. During the first 3 days, I was looking around for accommodations at a decent price, and soon found a private room just a few meters from there for THB 3000 p.m.; together with the coworking space (THB 3000 p.m.), I had a decent place to work and sleep for less than $200. Iโ€™m back in the same places after a year now, and I didnโ€™t need to re-evaluate my choices.
Itโ€™s always a good idea to learn a few words in the local language, like sawat-dee-khrab (good morning/afternoon/evening), khob-khoon-khrab (thank you), khoa [beer chung] (Iโ€™d like [a chung beer]), โ€ฆ noy (โ€ฆ, please) and my-pen-rye (youโ€™re welcome) for Thailand, because this is a real door-opener.
I usually dedicate my first 3 days in a new place to looking for an accommodation and place to work, roaming the city to get acquainted with the place Iโ€™m about to stay for a while, seeing where important shops like restaurants, cafรฉs and 7/11 are.
Getting meals from the street market in various places (Night Market close to Punspace or street market at Chiang Mai gate), I have to add another THB 120 per day (THB 3600 p.m.) for food, which keeps my total living and working costs under $300 p.m. โ€” not counting the drinks, massage and other stuff I afford beyond the basics at irregular times.
My standard of living is basic, of course, and not everybodyโ€™s cup of tea, but I like to keep life simple and focus on my work (not to mention the local girls, of course). At $300 p.m. fixed costs, it doesnโ€™t hurt to add some luxury from time to time, though. =; )
Your mileage may vary.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for the ideas Freedio :slight_smile: I must say I certainly am pretty excited to start this nomadic Journey. How low long have you been keeping it up for?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@freedio 7yr

Iโ€™m in for less than two years only, but I have been making a living as a sort of nomadic freelancer in Switzerland for over 10 years, always trying to relocate as close as possible to my current place of work, which implied looking for cheap rooms in or near all major cities, and, of course, camping during summertime.
I still keep acquiring 6-month freelance job from time to time when I run out of money, because my projects still donโ€™t yield anything โ€ฆ money made in an expensive country like Switzerland however goes a loooong way when living in cheap countries around the globe, so for every half year contract I acquire I can live several years abroad, even though living in two worlds means keeping abreast with the fast paced development in both (and, boy, software development is a fast paced environment).
I hope though that I can end doing these splits by 2017 or 2018.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@freedio 7yr

Welcome to the club anyway, joshua1, and congrats on the decision. Itโ€™s an exciting thing to do, and I already cannot imagine doing anything else. Doing contracts on location used to be a big improvement on employment, but now it almost feels like sitting out a term in prison. =; )

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks Freedio, I thought I would be sensible and just go for 2 months to begin with, but I already feel like Iโ€™m going to love it :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@freedio 7yr

Being sensible certainly is a wise and sustainable approach to exploring white spots on oneโ€™s personal map. Once those white spots take on color, you have far better arguments for any direction from there. :wink:
Two months look like a generous time frame for testing the digimad life style: Youโ€™ll be able to explore the spot to quite some depth, or you might even consider trying some โ€œnearbyโ€ alternatives like Koh Phangan or Koh Lanta after a month.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 7yr

First thing I do is get a SIM card :slight_smile:

If you are staying in an Airbnb, definitely give the place a good look over. Itโ€™s a lot easier to get out of the place within the first 24 hours (they have a 24 guarantee thing) then later if itโ€™s not up to scratch. Make sure there are no obvious faults and everything matches the description.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks Kathrynnoh

I had heard that AirBnB ends up more expensive in places like Thailand? has this been your experience? or would you generally recommend AirBnB over finding more traditional accomodation?

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 7yr

For Thailand, I wouldnโ€™t use Airbnb. There are a few threads on here, I started one last year and got a heap of good options :slight_smile: that are better alternatives.

Thereโ€™s a lot of talk about living dirt cheap in Thailand but unless you need to get spending at a minimum, Iโ€™d say go for something a bit more mid-range. Itโ€™s better to have an environment thatโ€™s conducive to working than saving a few bucks. The lost productivity would probably cost you more anyway.

Iโ€™d look at a total budget for living and working - if you plan working at home pay a bit more for a decent ergonomic set up but if you like being a bit more social, look at the total cost of paying for accommodation + co-working space.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Not Chiang Mai specific, but the first few things I usually do if itโ€™s a digital nomad trip (as opposed a purely โ€œvacation-yโ€ trip):

1. Trial run the first AirBNB / hotel / hostel youโ€™re going to stay in to see if itโ€™ll work long-term. If it doesnโ€™t, move to your backup option and give that a shot. Finding a stable place to crash is critical, and if you spend a couple of weeks spinning your wheels on this, itโ€™s easy to spend too much time drifting and too little time working. Productivity is hard, so I usually want to remove the obvious excuses as early as possible.

2. Internet. SIM cards if you need them, wifi, guest house wifi: whatever youโ€™re using, test it. If connectivity is mission-critical (Iโ€™m a web developer, so it usually is for me), you might want a fallback option as well. I usually use some mix of public wifi + 4G mobile hotspot device + wifi where Iโ€™m staying, and worst case, hotspotting from my phone. This may be less of an issue if youโ€™re working from a coworking space with reliable internet.

3. If youโ€™re not the type to work at โ€œhomeโ€, then scope out a couple of work-friendly cafes, grab a meal, and tip well. Become a familiar face. If youโ€™re used to an office, it might be a good idea to start spending a few days working from cafes. I had a very easy time settling in to the digital nomad life when I first started a few years ago because Iโ€™d already spent a ton of time working from coffee shops in and around Chicago, before hitting the road. Digital nomading in your home city before you head out is good practice, and itโ€™ll reduce a lot of the โ€œHow do I do this working from the coffee shop thing?โ€ intro jitters. Youโ€™ll also get a feel for how crowded, how far off the beaten path, how scenic, or how close to the beach your ideal working spot is.

4. Buy all the stuff you forgot. Power adapters. Cell phone chargers. You can never have too many chargers. A portable battery pack if youโ€™re using your phone as a hotspot, or if it just has a crappy battery. Get this all out of the way in the first week, so youโ€™re ready to roll.

5. Jump on in. I prefer not easing into work, or thereโ€™s a risk that Iโ€™ll get lazy till I hit a deadline. I work better if I jump in and start working a full day, with a regular schedule, where I know exactly what goals I want to hit, put a couple of hours of non-distracted time into each goal, and then know exactly when Iโ€™m going to switch off to go ride a motorcycle around the Himalayas some more. That gets me into a productive work schedule much sooner, and hitting your deliverables from the first couple of days will cut down on your stress levels a lot.

Good luck! And welcome to the life.

D.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks Dave

That is definitely some solid advice re: get cracking on the work asap.

I did a trial run of workign and travelling last year, but did too many different citites in a short period of time. The stress of not getting enough work done definitely came hard at me.

I could already feel that little voice in the back of my head telling me to just relax for a few days when I go there, but I think that may be approaching it as a holiday and not a new life style.

Internet is pretty crucial for me, as Iโ€™m an SEO and Digital Marketer myself

thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone up to explore some city which is kinda virus safe?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @germanrobert 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

Hello World!

I'm an experienced Digital Nomad and after being in Lockdown in Bangkok and Germany for one year I would like to team up with someone to visit a new place. Or just doing some exchange about what destinations would be interesting currently.

I take the virus seriously and still I think we can still be able to take our life in our own hands. So I'm aiming for cities/countries which are not in full lockdown, are not too complicated about immigration (I'm looking at you Thailand, your state quarantine costs like 1k USD and is basically a prison) and is also rather safe regarding the virus. I tend to stick for rather big cities and like culture. I'm not a beach or nature person. I'm pretty flexible about the money topic.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Holร  ! What's the internet / wifi situation in Sayulita ?

in Puerto Escondido , Mexico by @ambroisedebret 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

After being told it's unworkable in Puerto Escondido, looking for alternatives :)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find accomodation in Las Palmas, Canary Islands

in , Spain by @philippg 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi, we are trying to find a house to rent for 2-3 persons near Las Palmas for 4-5 months at the moment and it seems to be almost impossible except through Airbnb which is super expensive. Any advises or local contacts?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

If you're American but live in Guatemala, do you still count as American for travel purposes?

in Guatemala by @chasindreams 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

What I mean is, for example, since most of the EU has banned Americans, if I live in Guatemala and will be traveling FROM Guatemala to the EU, could I get in? Or does the ban count for all Americans regardless of where they live?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Ukraine Residency

in Ukraine by @reticle 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I have a slightly above average US income which I can work remotely from paired with a $1000 a month income stream and more than enough to purchase a middle end Flat in Ukraine. Does anyone with knowledge of this process have any advice to acquire a reliable way to stay in the country?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are co-working spaces a good way to meet people in a new city?

by @donaldbough 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

My fiancรฉe and I are most likely moving to NYC (maybe DC) in August, and as a technical startup co-founder I'd love to meet new people that are also into startups. Would joining a co-working space be worth the money to do this?

I work for a big tech company that has an office in NYC, but it's mainly sales so I wouldn't be able to meet others that are related to any of my 9-5 work or likely into tech.

If co-working spaces, post covid of course, aren't a good way to meet business starting people in a new city, what is?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any digital nomads in the Islands e.g Bermuda, Barbuda, St. Kitts and Nevis?

in Antigua , Guatemala by @momo11 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Does anyone ever travel to any Islands like Bermuda, Barbados, Barbuda and St. Kitts & Nevis?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is La Gomera a nice place to stay?

in Norway by @kvarsten 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi, my name is Eric and I am a remote worker from Norway. Me and a friend is flying into Gran Canaria on Friday and spending two weeks in San Agustin on the south side of the Island.

After that we are pondering about staying in La Gomera. Does anyone of you have an experience staying there or are there anyone of you staying there now? :)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is there a map of countries open for travel now?

in Russia by @vernon99 3yr 3 years ago  | 8 comments

I have two passports from different countries and am trying to understand where can I travel now. Is there a publicly available map of countries open for visitors by passport country that I can use to see what are my options? I was pretty sure such a thing should exist, but cannot easily find any.

Maybe at least there're maps for specific passports? Mine are Russian and American.

If there's no such thing, I'd be down to build one, let me know if interested to collaborate :)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any good coliving or other monthly rentals in Seville?

in Seville , Spain by @antoine_th 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hello Everyone

I'm planning to stay in Seville for 6 weeks for mid January - end of February. Do you any recommandations for a coliving or a place to live in?

Thanks ๐Ÿ™

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are restaurants, cafes and malls working in Mexico City taking into account COVID situation?

in Mexico by @thateverdmitriy 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I am planning to travel to Mexico City next weekend and stay for 7-10 days there. I wonder if cafes, stores and other places like these work? And if cafes work, do they work as usual or only for take away&delivery? Will be very thankful if someone can help here.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
477ms