Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,883) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the real cost of living in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @mikepark 9yr  | 9 comments

On the front page of nomadlist.com, the first photo of Chiangmai says โ€œ$722/mโ€ and when I click it, it says โ€œchiang mai costs $511 per month to live and work remotelyโ€. what is the real cost? I donโ€™t understand. I want to live there in an apartment and work remotely, use wifi, and eat out everyday. Iโ€™m thinking of relocating there. thank you

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m paying $199(+ $100 more for water and electric) for a place off Nimman (in James building), and itโ€™s centrally located to street food, stores, entertainment. Co-working is about $100/mo. Daily food spend (combo of street food and restaurants) is about $15/day. Then add in transportation a few beers here and there, etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@inthaiguy 9yr

A huge savings comes in how you eat. You can eat out 3 meals Thai style ( Pat Thai, Kao man Gai) @ 200 Baht max * 30 = 6000 Baht / $178 Or you can have burgers and pizza at nicer places and move that up to 600 Baht a day * 30 = 18,000 Baht / $533 There is $355 in wiggle room depending how you eat.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Just chiming in to repeat what others have said. Iโ€™ve seen apartments as low as $50/month here, and depending on your needs, you can get by on virtually nothing. Lots of free wifi, itโ€™s walkable or otherwise has plenty of cheap transportation.

I pay about $250/month for my newly-renovated studio condo in a nice older building right in a popular area with 4 co-working spots on my block.

A guy in the building behind me pays nearly $1,800USD for his swanky serviced apartment.

It all depends on the balance youโ€™re looking for.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey @MikePark we lived in Chiang Mai from Dec 2014 to Feb 2015 and Iโ€™d say we spent about $800-900 per person. We rented an apartment with a kitchen which costs more in Chiang Mai then renting a studio so your costs would come down there. Food is also very cheap if you want to eat out all the time. As @levelsio has pointed out - the longer you stay, the cheaper it is. Shorter term rentals generally cost more BUT itโ€™s still very affordable.

If youโ€™re not insistent on a kitchen like we were, I recommend arriving in Chiang Mai, hiring a scooter for a day, and driving around some areas in old town and around the Nimman area. There are a lot of buildings with studio apartments available for rent. We saw some starting at $250-300 a month.

We worked from Punspace (coworking space) 3x days a week and from home or from cafes on other days. You can see Punspace pricing here: http://www.punspace.com/pricing/

This is a couple of years old but I think itโ€™s still very useful - http://www.neverendingvoyage.com/the-cost-of-living-luxuriously-in-chiang-mai/

All in all, it really IS possible to live cheaply in Chiang Mai. How much you spend depends on your choice of lifestyle.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@johnnyfd 9yr

Iโ€™ve lived in Chiang Mai now for 2 years.

Bootstrap Budget: I was living for less than $600 a month.

Baller Budget: I spend less than $1,000 usually and donโ€™t desire anything else.

Here is a detailed post I wrote a while back.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@grum 9yr

It is difficult to give a real cost for anything. Iโ€™ve done Chiang Mai on less than $500 a month but other people would freak out if they tried to live the same way. The Nomadlist is a rough guide built on stats and magical unicorns so Iโ€™d always take it with a giant grain of salt.

Even if you broke down the real numbers, you still wouldnโ€™t get an accurate representation of how it applies in your own life.
My suggestion is to look at your own home city or a city you have lived on the nomadlist in and compare your own cost of living. If your lifestyle is 30% more expensive than the list, assume all the numbers on the list are 30% off.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mikepark 9yr

Thank you for responding.

I wish those living costs numbers were elaborated and broken down like you just did in this thread on the actual Chiang Mai listing on nomadlist website.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

@johnnyfd might be helpful here as he lives there right now, heโ€™ll probably confirm that it really depends on how you live

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

Oops! Sorry about that. Just about to roll out the new version, so youโ€™ve seen the transition a bit here. See http://nomadlist.com for better data.

For Chiang Mai:

$270/m
Cost of living for a local living cheap, renting outside the center of the city, buying groceries and cooking at home

$528/m
Cost of living for long-term living (e.g. years), renting in the center of the city, like a middle/upper-class local or foreign expat

$747/m
NomadCostโ„ข is based on staying short-term (up to 3 months) in a place, sleeping in (cheap) hotels in the center of the city and eating outside 3 times a day

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any good coliving or other monthly rentals in Seville?

in Seville , Spain by @antoine_th 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hello Everyone

I'm planning to stay in Seville for 6 weeks for mid January - end of February. Do you any recommandations for a coliving or a place to live in?

Thanks ๐Ÿ™

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Did you learn any Thai before staying in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @digitaldiva 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Iโ€™m curious to know how many people learned some Thai before going there. Learning languages is a hobby of mine but Iโ€™m very put off by how complex the writing system is, and if I decide not to learn it Iโ€™ll probably cross Chiang Mai off my bucket list. I prefer to be at least conversational in a language before I do an extended stay in a country. Iโ€™m curious how people who learned no Thai did getting by. And Iโ€™m curious, from people who did learn some, if itโ€™s any easier than it seems? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you prefer co-living spaces or hostels or Airbnbs?

by @davda1546 4yr 4 years ago  | 5 comments

We are hoping to become nomads soon and have booked an AirBnB in September in Goa for our first destination. We are considering what would be the best option for accommodation after that. We are trying to decide between co-living spaces, hostels, or Airbnbs.

What are your experiences of accommodation in terms of the following: reliable wifi, social aspect, pricing, cleanliness, cooking facilities?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anyone created a list of co-living spaces around the world?

by @keegansard 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

Iโ€™m a big believer in co-living but Iโ€™m finding hard to find all the options available in different cities.

I have found the major players like Roam, The Collective, and WeLive but havenโ€™t found many others.

Has anyone seen a list or should I start making one?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to go and what to do for Christmas and NYE in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @shasha 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everyone,

Iโ€™m currently in Chiang Mai and will be here for Christmas. Maybe for NYE too. Planning to go out and meet people and enjoy the holiday season. Any events or places to recommend?

Iโ€™d love to meet new friends too. Leave me a message if you are interested in hanging out.

Cheers! :cocktail:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Shikoku,can anyone help me with information about living there please

by @lofty 5yr 5 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi,
My name is Nick,currently living in Australia and looking at moving to Shikoku next year to live for a couple of years.My wife is Japanese,but I dont speak much though I have lived in Tokyo for some years previously.
Any advice on best areas to look at would be greatly appreciated ,

Thanks in advance
Nick

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any good coliving or other monthly rentals in Barcelona?

in Barcelona , Spain by @adrienbetweets 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Iโ€™m looking for a monthly rental in Barcelona. Iโ€™m only planning to stay 1 or 2 months.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Living in Dubai for a month. Tips?

in Dubai , United Arab Emirates by @cyrilgupta 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

Heya!
I have to be in Dubai by end of the month to finish the formation of my company and residency etc. Iโ€™ve stayed at hotels earlier, but that sounds pretty impractical considering I will be living there nearly for a month.

Anyone got any tips about renting a short-stay apartment for a month? Maybe even a few leads?

What about living in Dubai? I will be working hard, but I donโ€™t want to be bored out of my mind. Places I can hang out, things I can do?

Please share :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Ho Chi Minh City, Chiang Mai or Bali for Jun-Jul-Aug for work?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @chelocoach 6yr 6 years ago  | 8 comments

Hi experienced nomads!

Iโ€™ve been nomading around SE Asia, HK and China for the last 4 to 5 months. Iโ€™ve been moving a lot and now I need to settle down for 3 months to finish some work. So the idea is to be in a stimulating city where I can find nomads, start-ups, self growth, self improvement, spirituality environments.
I already been for one month in Chiang mai, and liked it a lot in this respect, but wanted to try somewhere new, so was thinking to go to Ho Chi Minh or Bali. As I will be working mainly most of the time, the idea is not to spend much this three months, so my idea is to spend around 1200usd per month.

Would appreciate any opinions on this.

Best place to sit down and work for three months on a 1200usd budget a month?

Thnx :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best Co-living / Co-working in Hawaii?

by @roconnor661 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi nomads, Iโ€™m in Hawaii for a couple months and wondered what the best co-working or co-living spaces were on the islands and why? Preferably near surf spots and also easy to meet some other DNs.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the minimum delay before the flight to Chiang mai from France?

in France by @stephenzambaux 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi, I live in France and I planned to travel to Chiang Mai in the 01/24.
We are in December, do you think there is enough time to vaccination, visa?

Can I take a touristic visa from 01/24 to 04/22? Do I need to bight round trip flight ticket to get it?

Thank you

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best Muay Thai Gym in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @holeinthehand 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

Hello,

I am moving to Chiang Man for two months and am looking for a good Muy Thai gym. I have some previous training experience but am at the novice/intermediate level.

Can anyone who has trained Muy Thai in Chiang Mai recommend a school?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anyone done the Non O Ed Visa in Hand to Hand Combat in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @artofbryce 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Weโ€™re headed to Chiang Mai in July looking at our options for visas and came across this: http://www.cmlocals.com/1-year-ed-visa-hand-to-hand-combat/

Has anyone done it?

It looks amazing and beneficial for many reasons, but Iโ€™m a little skeptical without being able to read external reviews or hear of experiences from people whoโ€™ve successfully done it.

Thoughts and other options are appreciated!

p.s. right now we have a one-way ticket and are wanting to keep our options open to stay longer if we love it (which weโ€™re anticipating)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Bali vs. Chiang Mai for digital nomads?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @snu6ew 7yr 7 years ago  | 16 comments

My girlfriend and I started our DN life this March and went straight to Chiang Mai because of itโ€™s ease of living. We love it. CM is great โ€“ we got a scooter for 2700 THB, a nice apartment for 8000 THB all in, we get our laundry done for 50 THB, eat out at nice places every day for less than 100 THB etc. Arriving here needed nearly no preparation โ€“ it just worked out all by itself.

We are still on tight budget and donโ€™t want to give up much of CMโ€™s quality of life but we want to see other places and we are now thinking about what could be our next destination. We are not really willing and able to spend more than what we spend now. Bali seems to be a good place according to what you all wrote.

How does it compare to Chiang Mai or Thailand in general?
CM can get very hot and we often acknowledge that we should have chosen an apartment with a pool here. Can I rent something in Bali for a few months with a pool for less than 250 USD?

Are there any Nomad-houses or similar projects at the moment that make it easy to connect to other people?

We donโ€™t really hang out in co-working spaces, more in cafรฉs. We source products in China and sell them to customers in Europe through e-commerce.

Any tips or experiences are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best dentist in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @siquick 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Any recommendations? Looking for temporary crown.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where can I buy an office chair for my apartment in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @anderkd 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

The apartment manager suggested kaidee.com, but nothing there. Any suggestions anyone?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any digital agency owners living the nomad lifestyle?

by @nicolas 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

Iโ€™d like to get into conversations with other agency owners with employees, or even create a mastermind group and share experiences around questions like:

• how you manage teams remotely
  • how you keep them motivated without daily face-to-face discussions
  • how you find and work with customers remotely
  • whether your goal is growth and exit or just lifestyle entrepreneurship
  • etc.

Anyone interested? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Living in one EU country with a residence from another EU country?

by @robetus 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

I really thought this had already been asked on here but couldnโ€™t find anything specific. Apologies if it has been asked before and a link would be greatly appreciated. Iโ€™m a US citizen and if I have a residence permit for one Western European country that states I only have to live in the country for 6 months out of the year can I live in another European country for the other 6 months. I plan on EU country hoping every other 6 months to avoid becoming a resident of more than one country.

Is anyone doing this now?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is Chiang Mai's air quality?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @albyantoniazzi 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

Hello everyone!
Iโ€™m currently touring South East Asia and Iโ€™m now in Koh Lanta (Thailand). I was planning to visit Chiang Mai on friday, but Iโ€™ve read the air quality in this period is so bad due to fires that are using as a method of cultivating crops there in the north. Is it something to take in consideration or just nothing to care about?
Thanks in advance!
And by the way, if anybody is in Chiang Mai and would like to grab a coffee would also be cool!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
514ms