What kinds of plans are other British nomads considering in wake of the EU referendum?

To put it mildly, I’m very disappointed by the prospect of losing my EU passport as a result of the referendum on 23 June.

There may be some UK nomads who do not mind and will be content with their British passport, but for others like me who possibly value their EU citizenship more than their British citizenship, what alternatives are you considering?

1 Like

Me too. I been through my family tree with a fine-tooth comb trying to find an Irish connection. Sadly no luck!

My research has so far drawn a blank on anywhere that would allow you to become a citizen with a right to a passport without some significant period of residence, which is fair enough I guess. But kind of rules out that option for most nomads.

I have thought about relocating my permanent residence to Scotland if it looks like they will seek independence and membership of the EU in their own right.

This is what I’m finding as well. Scotland looks like the only option, and even that is contingent upon Scotland managing to remain in the EU. Evidently Belgium had a two-year (I think) residency requirement, but it’s been changed to five years (although I would freeze to death even if I had to stay there for two years).

There seems to be a lot of talk (if only talk at this point) about allowing UK students in, say, Germany to gain German citizenship, for instance, but other Remainers are being neglected even at this stage of informal discussion. This worries me.

Ani, i am sorry but your allegations about the consequences of the Brexit are bogus.

UK is not part of the Schengen space. It means that as soon as you live UK to go to France you have to show your passport.
all treaties of free circulation did exist before EU existed. Meaning that before EU, you didn’t need a visa to visit France, Germany, Belgium…
In other words, nothing will change.
There is nothing as a EU citizenship. EU is not tangible. It is just a useless administration.

I’m quite offended by your using negative language (‘bogus’) and framing (‘allegations’), but putting that aside, this isn’t a matter of merely showing a passport. Britain leaving the EU means that it will unquestionably be far more difficult to live in the countries of the EU. This is less relevant to nomads who just pass through countries - for my part, I am a nomad who likes to stay for a long time, because culture and language and getting to know people matter a lot to me.

Already, two weeks after the referendum, it’s more difficult being here. My pound has shrunk, costs have gone up. I can only hope that somehow the UK manages to convince the world’s financial markets that it’s stable and will resume growth, or else I’m going to have to find a way to get paid in Euros.

Passport inconveniences do enter into the equation but only marginally - every journey now will involve longer passport queues as we will no longer get to go through the EU fast lane - as I’ve said, this is only a marginal consideration, although it’s very annoying. (I suppose there are some people who don’t realise that the UK is not a party to the Schengen treaty, but I can assure you I’m not one of them, and I imagine that few nomads are…)

I am avoiding the political aspects of the referendum, of course, as this is not a political forum. I have initiated this thread as nomads from the UK are already being affected by the fallout from the referendum.

1 Like

You can’t do anything against the vote of people. That’s British people choice, you can’t do anything against people’s choice. Here is what i wanted to say. GB is not part of the Schengen space, GB does not have the Euro. GB has different banking regulations than others. Consequently ties between Germany, France, Italy, Spain for instance are stronger than with GB. If you feel more European and if you don’t accept the political choices of your peers it is time to move to the European Union.

I am French, and the only thing i can suggest for you would be the following:

If you want to become french passport, it takes 5 years of fiscal residency. I suggest you to live close to an airport where Ryanair or Easyjet operate to have direct flight to UK. They are plenty in France. I do recommend south west of France or South east of France. Rents are not that high and then you can have a utility bill to justify your fiscal residency. Then there is the status of micro entreprise for one person business.

Use the service paywithfire which provide an account in Sterling and in Euro. You can open a bank account in Euro in some places as a non resident just like in Cyprus, Latvia

Now if you want a simulation of income tax in France:
http://www3.finances.gouv.fr/calcul_impot/2016/simplifie/index.htm

Open this chrome, it will translate automatically. and it will tell you how much you could pay income tax in France.

You can’t do anything against the vote of people. That’s British people choice, if you don’t feel British anymore, it is time to leave.

Pardon me, but what did I say that invited you to spew politically? I invite you to edit your post.

I live in Nouvelle Aquitaine, where lots of British nomads have settled. They all have their account and their saving in Euro. They have invested in houses. By the way, Spain is not cheaper than my region.
The clever British people already have done the move.
BBC or Channel 4 will never speak about those successful expats in France.

Look, you and I are completely at cross-purposes here. Good luck with your own choices as a nomad, and I’ll concern myself with my own.

I suspect that free movement will persist, but there is uncertainty so I’m making some plans.

I’m looking at relocating to Spain, moving business operations there, get Autonomo status and pay for healthcare in Spain. I suspect 4-6 years before split from EU and entering some kind of EEA relationship, so by living in Spain for 4-6 years I will be in a better position to claim residency of some kind if/when it is required.

I hope the GBP rebounds and if not I might start charging in EUR.

Far from ideal.

I have heard that being Autonomo in Spain is not that good, you always have to pay a fixed tax even if you dont earn money is that true?
Healthcare in spain seems good though…

Aprox 250EURpm for social security.
Discounts available for first year.
Legal obligation if fiscal resident.

Better in the UK and someone geeked out to the max and made this: http://steveridout.com/uk-spain-tax-calculator/

Thanks, you have proven my fears. Spain is a good country to live , eat and have fun. But for business it sucks in comparison to UK… :frowning:

I’m not sure if this helps (I’m an Aussie, not a Brit) but Germany offers permanent residency after 33 months (~3 years) via the EU Blue Card program, and you can shorten that to just 21 months (~2 years) if you can prove B1 level language skills in German. Also, after 18 months you earn the right to move to any other EU country:

http://www.bluecard-eu.de/eu-blue-card-germany/

The catch is, I imagine that British folks can’t apply as you’re currently still part of the EU - maybe a post Brexit option.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this. It’s really helpful for us to know all of our options and as things become clearer, we’ll be able to make more informed choices.

I think, as UK citizen, you have a “good” passport. And nothing not set in stone yet.
Planning would depend on how long you stay in a country. If it’s just for a few weeks-month, you are usually good with a visa-free entry (usually 90 days) - why should the EU not allow that for Brits if it’s ok for most 1st world countries?
If you want to stay 3-6 month, a visa run might do (like in Bali every 2 months).
If you want to stay longer, than it might become more difficult IF the UK would not be part of the open market (free movement).

In regards of the £: I don’t expect it going up to where it was before. Which is said as I am making some money in GBP…
But it’s good if you stay in the UK and earn money from overseas…
I do see a chance for of the Pound having another slide down if politicians making (more huge) mistakes.
So maybe not hold your hard earn money in Sterling. But I am far from being an expert on that.
More diversifying is my strategy after Brexit.

Estonian e-Residency does not help you in physical movement but when it comes to passporting then it is all there - EU business entity, bank account, EU regulations, EU accepted digital signatures, fintech services etc. There is a separate AMA about e-Residency also in this forum.

We’ve got at least two years yet so I don’t think there’s any need to panic right now, but I’m terrified of what’s happening already.

Theresa May wants entry to the single market while cutting off free movement. Merkel says we’ll only get free trade if we give free movement. EU have also said no negotiations will happen until we’ve left. Which is at least two years away, as we haven’t triggered Article 50 yet.

The only thing we can be certain of right now is uncertainty.

Yes, Paul. This kind of uncertainty is pretty painful for many people I meet. And the worse for the country.