What place in Thailand has fast internet and beautiful nature?

I lived in Srithanu on the west coast of Koh Phangan and the Internet was fast there. You can definitely walk around the town easily and get around without a motorbike (although you’ll probably still want one).

1 Like

Thanks so much, especially to you kaaist, for the specific details.

How good is life in Chiang Mai as a pedestrian? I can cope with crossing busy roads, it’s just places with no pavements and a million scooters make me a bit tense…

I have been in CM for 2+ years and never felt unsafe as a pedestrian.

The sidewalks aren’t always easy to navigate because they can be narrow, or occupied by food stalls, motorcycles or whatever else.

However for me, compared to a country like Vietnam, it is a dream to walk around in CM.

Thanks for the info on CM, jerriep - really appreciated.

Before this thread dies for good, does anyone have any last suggestions on places that combine natural beauty and decent internet connections?

thanks!

Pai. North of CM. Small town, easy to walk around. Fast good internet.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve never heard of Pai but now I’ll check it out seriously. Thank you!

I was on Koh Lanta (Kohub) 4 months from Feb-May 2015. It was a great community, heading back there soon! I can really recommend it, close to the beach, chill lifestyle and good Internet!

2 Likes

Hmm, KoHub looks cool. Tempting. Anyone tried both this and going it alone somewhere like CM and care to compare them as experiences? That might be too vague of a question, but I suppose I’m in that phase of planning where I could do anything but I want to try and do the best things… :smiley:

While in Bali did you visit Lovina? It is a very walkable city and resembles many europeans beachfronts with a little water fountain, piazza and boardwalk on the beach with shops.

1 Like

Thanks for this tip! We’re still in Bali and will seriously consider Lovina.

I’d really like to second this question. As someone who hasn’t been to Thailand understanding the differences for DMs to live in Chiang Mai or on one of the bigger islands is really key. If anyone can compare or contrast the two lives, that’d be terrific. Also, anyone who’d simply vote one way or another on rokeeffe’s question would be much appreciated too.

@endeavouren How much were your monthly costs there? 1k USD pm doable or is is substantially higher?

@AlexLielacher I haven’t stayed long-term, but I visited Koh Lanta at the very end of low season / very beginning of high season a couple months ago. I stayed in a great private room in a guesthouse for ฿200 per night. Food was about the same or cheaper than Bangkok.

The owner of the guesthouse told me that his rent for the whole building (4 rooms including his quarters) is ฿5000 per month, which kind of blew my mind. I also met a few locals and that rent started to seem more like the norm.

Based on what I heard, if you are willing to live “Thai style”, you can easily live for less than $1000 (฿35000) per month. That would include long-term rental of a motorbike and a quiet, furnished place that is probably off the beaten path.

2 Likes

Thank you so much @mattreinhart for the info! I am flying over on the 6th December. Can’t wait :slight_smile:

Chiang Mai has incredibly fast Internet and awesome sceneries. Another vote to Pai. Been there for 2 weeks for my training in a beautiful kung fu/meditation retreat and I was still able to work online on the evenings! The Internet was very reliable and the views are just astounding.

+1 for Pai, in Thailand. It actually has surprisingly good internet. It’s very close to the nature, & has many things to do around (hikes, waterfalls, caves, & other landmarks).

There is no more co-working space in Pai at the time of writing (December 2015) - Mergespace was closed - however you can work from cafés & restaurants.

I just created this thread to help you & others to solve the “finding a decent place to work from in Pai” issue :wink: What’s the best places to work in Pai, Thailand? I will add my 2 cents to this thread as I actually found a couple of good places to work from.

1 Like

@endeavouren What was the weather like towards the end of your stay? Im heading to that area in June.

@rynesweeney I have seen the same question on a Facebook group thread. Maybe you can ask again if you don’t find it. It was on one of these groups I believe:

Chiang Mai and try checking out Pai too. More or less a 3-hour ride from CM. Love the kung fu and meditation camp there too, with a pretty reliable Internet as well.

Thanks!