Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,883) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What to do at Hong Kong during a 12-hour layover?

in Hong Kong by @pr0fess0r 8yr  | 6 comments

Hi Guys
Does anyone have suggestions about what to do at Hong Kong during a 12-hour layover? I have a flight from New Zealand to London in August and it stops at Hong Kong airport 9pm - 9am. I thought about grabbing a shower and some sleep at one of the lounges but if anyone have done this trip before, any advice or tips?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@replay 8yr

The Airport is right beside Lantau island, thatโ€™s one of the outer islands that isnโ€™t really part of the city and has nice mountains and trekking paths. There is also a cable car which can bring you up to some huge Buddha statue on top of the mountain.

You can check that out for more info: http://www.np360.com.hk/en/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@pashley 8yr

Shopping? That airport is the only one where I have even seen advertising for โ€œGuaranteed downtown pricesโ€. I doubt they completely live up to that, but there are lots of stores & some look good.

Go downtown? The airport is on a metro line & there is a deal on same-day return tickets. Hong Kong Disney? It is quite nearby on the metro.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@pr0fess0r 8yr

The only issue is that Iโ€™m there from 9pm - 9am, so what will be open?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mwp 8yr

For myself, I would just find a cheap hotel (~$30USD) in Hong Kong somewhere (as near in as possible on the train/subway), take the train there when you get in, sleep for a few hours, then take the train back early. People are out fairly late in Hong Kong, so you might have time to even look at a few things. I go to that airport quite a bit and wouldnโ€™t want to spend 12 hours thereโ€ฆ

If you do this, be sure to set up your smartphone gps maps to work offlineโ€ฆnot always possible to find a sim in the airport, and Iโ€™ve gotten lost due to this before in HKG.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@pr0fess0r 8yr

Thanks for the tip - any hotels you recommend?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mwp 8yr

The way I choose in HKG is expedia and their rating system. For $30ish US you will generally get a very small private room, perhaps without window, but clean enough and has a shower. A lot of these places I"ve stayed in are super-small (4-5 rooms) so recommendations are probably not going to be that helpfulโ€“for instance I stayed at the Homy Inn last time, which was fine but matched the description above. Also, beware that if your budget is tight, the train can add significantly to cost, depending on exactly how you go to HKG (cheaper to take the bus to Tung Chung train station, but takes longer so might not be the right choice since you are time-constrained)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where should I register my company as a digital nomad? Singapore, Hong Kong?

in Singapore by @raphadk 5yr 5 years ago  | 14 comments

Hey guys, hereโ€™s a question Iโ€™ve been asking nomads I meet everywhere, but still havenโ€™t found good information. My startups mostly focus on american and european markets but I donโ€™t have a registered company, nor I live permanently on any of these countries.

I get the cash payments online in paypal (or adsense) and transfer it to Thailand (or Malaysia, or Bali, or Brazil, or wherever Iโ€™m at). The thing isโ€ฆ for low volume living expenses it seems fine, but as I scale the business, Iโ€™m starting to think more and more about fiscal law.

A fellow nomad told me to transfer it to Singapore, Hong Kong or The Virgin Islands, and then use an international credit card anywhere. I donโ€™t know if itโ€™s the best way to optimize thisโ€ฆ any ideas?

Also, could there be any problems in selling to these countries without a registered local company?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place to incorporate in Hong Kong

in Hong Kong by @sohantanna 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Anyone have any suggestions for great incorporation companies who have full services?

Iโ€™m looking for a company who can handle accounting, incorporating and book keeping (online) for Hong Kong.

Would appreciate any recommendations.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do I open a business account in Hong Kong? Proof of business?

in Hong Kong by @omar 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Hello guys, I was wondering if anyone had any experience in opening a business bank account in Hong Kong. Iโ€™m getting all the paperwork ready to incorporate in Seychelles and open the bank account but the agency that is helping me says Hong Kong bankers are getting more picky. They are asking me for business โ€˜proofโ€™ since iโ€™ve always ran my sites as an individual I wonder if just proof of payment from ad networks is enough. If you have any advice it would be much welcomed.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How can I find a fair incorporation service in Hong Kong?

in Hong Kong by @otsuka1007 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

Hello, Iโ€™m thinking about launching a new company in Hong Kong for an international EC business though Iโ€™m not a resident nor have any address, will not live in Hong Kong.
Iโ€™ve googled and found hundreds of incorporation service offices but donโ€™t have any idea which one is trust worthy, and which one is rip-off or con.
Can anybody recommend a specific service or tell me how to find a good service?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anybody with a Hong Kong company been through an Offshore Profits claim?

in Hong Kong by @prof 7yr 7 years ago  | 23 comments

Iโ€™ve just hit the 18-month mark of business in Hong Kong ready to submit by first Profit Tax Return. I also have the option of filing an Offshore Profits claim.

The Offshore Profits claim itself seems to be a convoluted, long drawn-out process with significant costs to bare in working with a certified CPA to answer Inland Revenue Department questioning.

Iโ€™d love it if somebody who has been through this already were able to answer the following questions:

• How long did it take for the claim to be accepted or denied?
  • What was the end result?
  • How much did the IRD dig into each transaction?
  • How much did you pay your agent to deal with the offshore claim?

Any insights are much appreciated! :slightly_smiling:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hong Kong accounting costs

in Hong Kong by @mapiactravel 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

I am looking into setting up an LTD in Hong Kong.

There would be 2 owners and around 250 invoices per month (no sales in HK).

What would be a realistic annual cost?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Incorporate in Hong Kong, name that cheques get made out to

in Hong Kong by @ktran03 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

I currently have a log of cheques form clients written to my name.

Iโ€™m not yet setup as a corporation in Hong Kong, but am thinking about doing so. Will I be able to deposit these cheques from my name into my business bank account?

Also, I wish to continue to receive cheques to my name. Will I be able to deposit them into my business based in Hong Kong?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone know a reputable translator and guide in Hong Kong?

in Hong Kong by @dave4peace 8yr 8 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi Nomads,

Arriving in Hong Kong in December, meeting friends, there. Suggestions for a local, reputable guide/translator service with reasonable rates? My friends have varying capacity of bilingual, so, prefer a guide for initial part of the trip, anyway.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can anybody recommend a cheap, good accountant for Hong Kong?

in Hong Kong by @rich 7yr 7yr  | 0 comments

Need a cheap accountant to help with PTR, tax query letter (to justify offshore status), and maybe even shutting down my company there. Iโ€™m with startupregistry.hk and tired of the โ€œOh and then there is also this costโ€ฆ And this oneโ€ฆ And this oneโ€ฆโ€ game. Thank you!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
423ms