What tools do you use to plan your travel?

What tools do you use to map out your travel plans for the year ahead (if you even do) - I don’t mean tools for finding cheap flights - but the actual schedule planning.

For example, for 2018 I have certain locations that I need to be in at certain times of the year. They are fairly set in stone with a little flexibility.

I’ve then got a hit list of destinations that I’d like to build into that plan through the year. Not all will happen, some I’d like to prioritise and add to the plan right away, with the others as maybes and will be more spur of the moment.

I’m keen to look at a calendar type view where I can play around with different schedules. I’d thought something like tripit but I think this works best when you have already booked but I want to create a few versions to see how they look before going out to book.

Maybe it is colour coded or overlays

• Booked
  • Planned
  • Maybe

Thanks
Jon

I use a combination of the map with destination list here on Nomad List and Flight Radar 24 (considering I’m usually flying to places, it’s at least generally indicative of my travels).

Sadly, nothing has ever reached the pinnacle of Dopplr. I used a couple of alternatives that basically tried to emulate their interface, but neither of them lasted very long.

Good question actually!
I was not able to find a proper online tool for that, so I’ve ended with ol’good Google Spreadsheet, where I place days as columns (or weeks if for longer-term planning), and then I just color and label cells for planned trips.

Nothing really beats UI of spreadsheet, if we think about data representation stuff :slight_smile:

It’s not exactly what you’re asking for, but for me TripIt kinda serves this purpose. The default behavior is that “trips” are generated when you add bookings, but there’s nothing stopping you from adding tentative trips before you book anything.

You can also see all your flight/hotel/airbnb bookings and “trips” (including those with no bookings yet) in whatever calendar you use, so you should be able to get a bird’s eye view over the whole year.

+1 for TripIt to have all your key flight and booking information available while you’re on-the-go. Super useful app. Just forward your confirmations and it automatically sorts them in a clean way.

To get a really quick idea of going from point A to point B, I use Rome 2 Rio or Google Maps.

But probably my most useful tool for planning, brainstorming and organizing my travels is Trello. (although not meant specifically for travel)

I have a simple Trello board set up for my future travel destinations, each card is 1 location. I can make checklists, attach links, screenshots, comments, etc. to each card when I hear about something I must try there or some useful information. That way I have everything in one place for each individual location. You can also add color-coded labels or due dates to the cards.

But I use Google Sheets for some aspects of my travel as well like managing my credit cards, airline points, alliances, etc.

Shame about Dopplr. Nokia bought it and nixed it. Luckily I was always using Tripit alongside it. They actually have a business model so I feel like my long term travel records are safe there. Its handy to reference past travels there and their membership is actually worth considering. Also love the planner on Nomadlist of course. Nice as a place to share travel plans. I use a domain to forward into it. See my Jolly Voyage plans at Jolvo com :slight_smile:

+1 This is exactly how we do it as well!

georgebaltakDec '17
+1 for TripIt to have all your key flight and booking information available while you’re on-the-go. Super useful app. Just forward your confirmations and it automatically sorts them in a clean way.

To get a really quick idea of going from point A to point B, I use Rome 2 Rio or Google Maps.

But probably my most useful tool for planning, brainstorming and organizing my travels is Trello. (although not meant specifically for travel)

I have a simple Trello board set up for my future travel destinations, each card is 1 location. I can make checklists, attach links, screenshots, comments, etc. to each card when I hear about something I must try there or some useful information. That way I have everything in one place for each individual location. You can also add color-coded labels or due dates to the cards.

But I use Google Sheets for some aspects of my travel as well like managing my credit cards, airline points, alliances, etc.