What visa do I need to work as a freelancer in the USA?

I am a UK graphic designer and would love to spend anywhere between 3 months to 6 months in America traveling and freelancing at the same time. I have looked into visas but unsure whether I need a working visa or if I can get away with the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)? Also, if I do some design work for a local business, would this be allowed?

I might be completely wrong, but I think that if you are not planning to apply for a job in the US you don’t need a work visa if you keep freelancing while you are there. I can’t imagine myself applying for work visas in every country I touch during my trips.

Most nomads go around with tourist visas, if you use a work visa it will turn you into a term called “expat”. Go everywhere and don’t tell them you work, it should be always vacation.