What work should I do as a DN?

Hi everyone,

I’m having a bit of a difficult time trying to decide what to do that’ll allow me to make an income and be location independent.

2 years ago, after being in corporate IT software sales for 10 years I have basically just been traveling around, mostly in Asia. Its been great having no goals and its given me the time to recover from a burn out, work on myself and see opportunities in life again.

My challenge is that I see so many different things I could possibly do but haven’t yet committed to one. I can easily get excited about something for a while but then it fades out. I also dont have any experience running my own business or in any other industries which is sometimes daunting.

I’m in a fortunate position that I have a monthly income to survive but I’m not making/saving money and feel like I’m ready to get stuck into something.

I’ve done my sailing skippers license, busy with NLP certification, working on a blockchain concept, working towards my permaculture design course certification and interested in Eco and sustainable living. Have half created a website. I want to help people while I live in a warm climate, leading a healthy and active lifestyle. And I listen to too much Alan Watts…

Any tips or ideas?

1 Like

How much do you want/need to earn?

What’s more important: work life balance or money?

Have you had a look at Chris Guillebeau’s born for this book or his old $100 Startup book?

In addition to “work life balance or money”, I would also add: " is creating impact important for you". When I see your profile, I think that you may be interested in creating a project has a strong mission statement. In that case, start with your “why” :slight_smile: (https://thehappystartupschool.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/happystartup-canvas-edit.png)

I’m more into quality of life and balance than money. @JCW I guess some income to start would be a good motivator and long term $5k would be plenty with my current income.

I’ve warmed up to concepts of Social Entrepreneur and Conscious Capitalism but I have to admit I have a bit of block towards money after working in a corporate sales environment and seeing so much poverty while traveling. Not to mention the becoming so self aware of my white privileged background and some guilt that comes with it - I’m working on it…

I’ve read 4 hour work week, $100 startup, Dotcom Secrets, a few others I cant recall right now… all good stuff. A big part of me really wants to be super passionate about what I do but I’m aware that a certain amount of detachment is healthy too for balance .

@tompichon thanks for the Happy Start Up Canvas, havent seen that before :slight_smile:

Hi Simon,

I’m facing similar challenge right now. I don’t know what kind of job/work/company I want to do/create.

You say that your excitement usually fades out and that you see many possibilities, but haven’t committed. I’d suggest you just give it a shot and any idea that comes to your mind that seems feasible, you should do it. Start it out, get the ball rolling. If that’s not it, try to get yourself out of the picture (sell the company, outsource, automate…).

Worst case, you can let the project/business just rot.

Anyway, I think it’s better to start as it’s a learning experience at least if not also a great income generator.