Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,884) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best warm destinations in Europe in the winter?

by @jammingsloth 9yr  | 33 comments

Planning ahead for the winter. Iโ€™ll be in Spain in the Fall and want to go someplace warm for the winter in or near Europe, but not Schengen. Was first thinking Cape Town, but the internet is slow and it is very far. Was also thinking:
Israel - but airbnb listings are very pricey.
Morocco?
Turkey - maybe a little chilly.

Any other suggestions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@seifip 5yr

Iโ€™m a big fan of Lisbon in the winterโ€ฆ the weather is just perfect (~15-20), the city is beautiful, food delicious, prices very reasonable by European standards, and Portugal has one of the more vibrant startup communities in Europe.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

You might want to consider Dahab (Egypt). Although not in Europe, itโ€™s a rather short & cheap flight away.

Dahab is a watersport heaven (freediving (apnea), scuba diving, kite surfing, wind surfing, you name it) and has an incredibly low cost of living. Especially during the low season, which is exactly during the European winter (December to March).

I wrote more in-depth about Dahab in the thread below on NomadList called โ€œDahab watersport heaven - best cafes to work from?โ€.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@db8871 8yr

Do not forget about French Guiana. Technically part of Europe but not Schengen. Very easy entry for EU people, US people get stamp but tough for south americans.

Not easy to get there as the only good airline connection is from Paris, 2-3 stopovers from the US and expensive.

Dry season is August to December; rainy season is December and January and April to July. Hot all year round, with cooler nights. Average temperature is 27C/85F.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Itโ€™s still possible to be in Schengen!

I have the 90-day Schengen restriction as well (U.S. citizen). Got a 90-day extension in Spain without having to leave the country. Lived in Almerรญa, which is 1 of 3 places in Europe with mild and dry winters. (Hot and dry summers as well.)

The locals have a saying, โ€œThere are 2 seasons in Almerรญa โ€“ beach season and not-beach season.โ€

I shared a 3-bedroom apartment 100m from the beach with a balcony and a 10-min walk to the center for 165 EUR/mo (utilities extra).

Right on the coast. Mostly sunny and rains about once a month. Coldest it got was 10C/50F.

Gorgeous sunsets and a 7km promenade for walking, jogging, exercising.

Access to secluded beachesโ€ฆ

It seems like a dream. Honestly though, this place isnโ€™t for everyone. Almerรญa has a lot of strong characteristics that make it quirky to live there. Itโ€™s a very chill environment, through-and-through โ€“ a lot of the locals live a โ€˜maรฑana lifestyleโ€™. Thereโ€™s also a lot of Erasmus students adding to the beach + party vibe. Wake up late, cafรฉ, beach, sunset, party. Almerรญa is a bit isolated on the very SE tip of Spain so very few locals leave, and only speak Spanish.

Definitely a unique experience. And for me, Iโ€™d go back because itโ€™s well worth the beaches and sun.

Like I said, this is not a โ€˜work hard, play hardโ€™ city โ€“ itโ€™s very much a 'relax to the maxโ€™. If you can avoid temptations and youโ€™re good at keeping a strict schedule, itโ€™s a GREAT place to wake up and exercise, work for 5 hours, take an hour break to eat and cool off in the sea, work a bit more, then have your free time.

If anyoneโ€™s interested in how I did this โ€“ get a Schengen extension in Spain โ€“ I can go into extensive detail. I donโ€™t recommend going in blind like I did.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@oskar 8yr

@JakeBerger Sure please tell us how you got the schengen extension.
Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@lucha54 8yr

I thought it was cold in Turkey in winter? Iโ€™m talking Dec/Jan/Feb. My future plan is late spring/summer and/or summer/fall in EU (I have French passport) and then maybe winters in Asia or elsewhere. But no need to go elsewhere if I can find a warm enough place! (my standards for decent winter, being from California, are in the 8-18ยบ range).

My friend is in Istanbul now and says itโ€™s often snowingโ€ฆ Morocco too I checked weather averages for this time of year and wasnโ€™t pleased. Will look in to Madeira or Canarias for a possible winter in my future, although Iโ€™m really not an island/beach type.

Any other parts of Turkey that are immune to below 8ยบ temps (on average of course)? What about the Greek islands? Must be darn cheap in winter with low seasonโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

turkey is a large country and istanbul is in the far north. where I was, it was high teens/low 20s in december. this week it is mid to high teens.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m in Gran Canaria, and daytime temps are usually +20 throughout the winter. Iโ€™ve been wearing shorts and sandals since I first arrived on 28 November. While there was no need for a jacket in the evenings last month (December), itโ€™s been a bit cooler at night so far this January, and while Iโ€™m still comfy in my shorts and sandals, at night I want a light jacket.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@dvc 8yr

@bisonravi Independent of paid extensionsโ€“which I wasnโ€™t aware of, eitherโ€“citizens of a number of countries have the ability to extend their stays in various European countries, usually due to bilateral agreements predating the Schengen Treaty. Often, this means an additional 90 days on top of the 90-day Schengen stay, but sometimes (e.g. US citizens in Poland) you can stay more or less indefinitely. References are often hard to locate, but consular officials will provide more information when asked.

A bit more information for US citizens here: https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/39649/us-citizen-90-180-schengen-stay-bilateral-agreements-w-poland-denmark-etc?s=1|0.8889. I spent a bit of time looking for a resource with an exhaustive list of such agreements, but wasnโ€™t able to find one.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I was looking into the option of Cyprus, but couldnโ€™t find out whether Iโ€™d be overstaying Schengen. Apparently Portugal offers tourist visa extensions for up to 90 days. It costs around 100 euros. Iโ€™m in Barcelona for the next month and then I have an appointment in Portugal to get an extension. Hopefully all goes as planned!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@bavals 8yr

This is very interesting. Please post here to tell us how it goes. Iโ€™ve never heard of these Schengen โ€œextensions,โ€ but I canโ€™t say that I properly investigated either.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@ali 9yr

Turkey is a reasonable choice. Cheap flights,cheap life costs, lots of coworking spaces and so onโ€ฆ

Plus Handsome Boys and Beautiful Girls :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

+1 for Turkey, beautiful place, very nice people, quite developed country (good internet in cities), cheap accommodation/food, and probably quite warm in the winter.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m heading to turkey in a week. my apartment is 350 Euro a month in a 5* building and itโ€™s in the low 20s and sunny. Works for me!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

350 euros per month for a 5* apartment in Turkey! Thatโ€™s a great price.
Can I ask you the city where this is?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

alanya. not the best choice if you are a party person but if you just need a place nearby that is semi-warm and inexpensive, itโ€™s a solution.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@bavals 8yr

A quick note to Europeans oblivious to visas, etc: Spain, Portugal, Italy, etc are all inside the Schengen zone, so none of them work for those seeking to escape the 90-day restriction. The original question specified โ€œnot Schengenโ€. Therefore, Madeira, Canary Islands, etc do not quality.

However, does anyone have any experience with Cyprus (especially the Greek part)? It is part of EU but not of Schengen (not yet, anyway).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Canary Islands, no doubt. Is warm all year round, well connected to major European cities, quite cheap and plenty of nature and activities to do

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@jamminsloth oh I see, then it might be a good alternative, itโ€™s super cheap to fly from Europe to Morocco, Algeria, and the likes. If you want a higher standard of life and faster internet, you might want to be in a bigger city. Morocco has a decent 3G network, and quite cheap (circa 10โ‚ฌ for 1GB internet on a pay as you go), but the coverage is not consistent across the country.
Another country you can consider: Cape Verde.
I went to Cape Verde for the first time in January this year. I had average expectations and was very surprised how great this place was for my holiday. Note that I was not working while there. Basically, itโ€™s a country in the middle of the Atlantic, they speak Portuguese (a dialect of it), people are extremely nice and laid back, it has this Caribbean touch although itโ€™s attached to Africa. Itโ€™s a world top spot for kite surfing. Many world competitors are actually from there or train there. You can also do surf, windsurf and more water sports. Hiking is also getting very popular in the islands of Santo Antao, this is a very green and mountainous island, not to be missed. Internet can be a problem though, the size of some of the islands limit their development (infrastructures, education, hospitals, and so on) but you can get 3G internet for circa 10โ‚ฌ for 1GB. Again, go to bigger cities for higher internet speeds (Mindello or Praia). I heard you can find Return tickets to Cape Verde from Europe (London, Paris, Madrid, Lisboa) from 400 euros if you are flexible. Another way is to go from canary island, by planeโ€ฆ Or by boat, for free as a crew member, it takes about 6 days of sailing, but you probably need experience to be taken on board, not sure. Go to Cape Verde, itโ€™s awesome :smiley:
I posted a couple of information regarding the different topics:
Cape Verde: travel between islands
Cape Verde: accommodation to expect?
Cape Verde: any safety alerts regarding hasslers, con men, thieves or muggers specific to this region?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@AdrienBe thanks. I would love to do the Canary islands for 3 months, but Iโ€™ll already be in Spain/Portugal for 3 months in the fall. What sort of visa are you talking about? Any idea how to make this work as a US citizen with Schengen restrictions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Regarding your questions!
What sort of visa are you talking about? I suppose you may need a visa when going to Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and the likes, I donโ€™t know really.
Any idea how to make this work as a US citizen with Schengen restrictions? No sorry, Iโ€™m a EU citizen so my knowledge is very limited in this topic.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Mind that Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and the like are not part of Europe, and also have this kinda third world standards. You love it or hate it, then itโ€™s your personality, your expectations, experiences, and so on.
Canary islands belong to Spain, so y they have much higher standards (and itโ€™s probably simpler visa wise), the trade off is the cost of life that is higher (although still cheap). Ryanair flies to canary islands.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@gonzohall 9yr

Hello,

Please check Madeira Island, Funchal specially. Good internet, great food, good weather, cheap travels (lowcost from Portugal), amazing culture and good combination of sea and nature with a good city and services.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@flipchan 5yr

Where do i find an apartment at funchal?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@flipchan 5yr

How is apartment prices at funchal ?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@Nikolask7 Thanks for the suggestion! Any cities in particular that you can recommend for solid internet, nice vistas, and some culture/arts?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I would suggest Tunisia/Djerba.
Climate is mild and the mediterranean is warm enough for swimming in November.

Plus we run http://coworking.camp there this year, so you will be around a lot of other location independent entrepreneurs and nomads.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@MatthiasEZeitler I remember looking at your camp a couple weeks ago actually - looks like fun! Timing does not work for me however. I had looked at Djerba after looking at your camp, and donโ€™t recall seeing many airbnbs. Any recommendations on how to book an accommodation? And how is the internet?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Mhm, if the timing doesnt work for you, then I am not sure if I would want to be there on your own. Outside the hotels the infrastructure is pretty basic and internet is a problem. We have made special arrangements to ensure high bandwith for our group, but otherwise internet is pretty slow. Also there is no digital nomad or startup community, so while our group is there there will be a lot of interesting connections and networking, but otherwise you are stuck with older retired couples escaping the winter. :smile:

So if November/December is not a good time for you, then maybe another destination is a better choice.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nomadjim 9yr

The Canary Islands (70 miles West of Morrocco) are good. I spend a lot of time in Fuerteventura. Good weather, good internet connection, effectively a part of Spain so cheap roaming charges (using UK phone).

I did try Essaouira in Morocco for 2 weeks last year. Plus points are that itโ€™s very cheap for accommodation and food, a lovely town and great for water sports. Bad points were roaming charges (ยฃ1.5min to receive calls!!!). The internet was passable for general use although not quite up to the standard I really needed (fairly high user). This may be down to bad wifi in my accommodation.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Morocco has a good winter climate, as does Egypt. Morocco seems to attract more digital nomads, especially to the coastal town of Taghazhout. There are quite a few co-working places cropping up there now, and itโ€™s pretty cheap. The average high during the winter months is 20 deg C and above.

One way flights from Agadir to the UK come it at about ยฃ35, which makes it easy to get back to Europe if you need to.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@hannahvictorius thanks for this! I have considered Morocco. How was the internet in Taghazhout? Where did you find a place to stay, airbnb?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I havenโ€™t actually been there yet, but plan to this side or Christmas or the other, after a friend had a good experience at Sun Desk. The internet there is good, but out an about itโ€™s average I guess. Not super-fast, like parts of Europe. But for the work I need to do, itโ€™s fine. Nomad List rates it an average of 5mbps. Hope that helps!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Holร  ! What's the internet / wifi situation in Sayulita ?

in Puerto Escondido , Mexico by @ambroisedebret 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

After being told it's unworkable in Puerto Escondido, looking for alternatives :)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best thing to do with your phone/ your phone number when travelling?

in Poland by @davda1546 4yr 4 years ago  | 6 comments

Hey, hope everyone is well!

We're leaving in a month to go travelling. Our first destination is still to be confirmed, but will likely be Poland or Slovakia. We will be moving around every month or two to different destinations.

The question we have is: what do people do with phones/ phone numbers when hopping from country to country? Ideally we'd just like one number for the whole trip (even better, the number we already have) wherever we go, rather than getting new SIMs with different numbers.

This is just so it's easier to keep in contact with family/ clients/ etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best SIM card you can get for traveling to Spain?

in Spain by @gabygarreau 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi! I want to relocate to Spain and I was wondering if someone can recommend a SIM card with a good data package.

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to ship bikes from US to Europe?

by @ld 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hello,
Iโ€™m preparing to travel again to Europe, but this time I want to bring our bikes. 2 road bikes. Iโ€™ll be traveling from USA to the Milan or Rome airport.

Iโ€™d appreciate hearing your thoughts, experience and tips on traveling with a bike. I plan on being fairly stationary with our location and staying in one spot for 2-3 months, then (hopefully train) to another spot for 3 months, etc. So itโ€™s the initial international flight Iโ€™m most concerned about. But realistically, I think a regional flight will be inevitable with the bikes, too.

I know a bike box will be huge and we will have to break down the bike, thankfully our bikes are fairly light weight. Iโ€™m expecting it to be a huge painโ€ฆbut I think the reward of having a good bike to roam around with will be invaluable. Especially since we will be staying in rural areas and donโ€™t want to rent a car.

General range of cost?

Anyone bring their bike and glad they did? โ€ฆWish they didnโ€™t?.. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where do you spend winter?

by @tony88 4yr 4 years ago  | 22 comments

Winter is comingโ€ฆ Brrrr. Iโ€™m in Europe at the moment.

Iโ€™ve spent winters in SE Asia, Thailand, south on the beaches, and North in Chiang Mai. I love Thailand. But also Iโ€™ve been to Vietnam, Bali, Laos, Camobodia, and Malaysia.

Down in South America I spent a winter around Playa Del Carmen.

Where are you going this winter?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Central America - Where and what's next?

by @as11 4yr 4 years ago  | 11 comments

Currently in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico and heading to Santa Teressa, Costa Rica next week.
Then Aruba in the Caribbean Sea for Christmas and New Year.

However I feel I want to head back to Central America to bring living costs down, rather than staying in the Caribbean Sea among the expensive Islands.

This means I have around 2 - 2,5 month of unplanned travelling.
Any digital nomads who have ideas about where to head in that timeframe?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the first step now that I can work remotely?

by @mariaplslourdes 5yr 5 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi everyone and nice to e-meet you!
finally, after so long I found a job that allows me to work remotely.
But now? Do you have any practical advice that I can use to approach this new world?
In particular, I have to put my tax situation in order, do you know a good tax advisor from whom I can ask for advice? (Iโ€™m Italian but I live in Franceโ€ฆI donโ€™t know how long it will beโ€ฆ) )
Beyond that, any advice is welcome.
Thank you!
Maria

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

SIM to use in Eastern Europe

by @itinerantdev 5yr 5 years ago  | 6 comments

Over the next few weeks Iโ€™m visiting:

• Prague 4 days
  • Bratislava 12 days
  • Berlin 7 days
  • Budapest 60 days

I am British and was assuming I would use my giff gaff sim as that has free EU roaming.

But I have been in Mexico for six weeks and giff gaff emailed and said if I didnโ€™t use my sim in the UK soon they would start charging their normal expensive roaming rates.

Soโ€ฆ Can anyone recommend a pre-pay data only sim/package I can use in all of these countries? Ideally which I can pick up in Prague?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best bank account for a global nomad?

by @barrybjjoubert 5yr 5 years ago  | 25 comments

Dear all
As a wanna be nomad figuring out a way to get free of the rat race, I was wondering what is the best bank account to have while travelling the globe? I need an account where is easy for me to receive payments from all over the world and it also need to be a bank that I can find almost anywhere in the world. I want to avoid carry cash on me if itโ€™s possible.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best CRM/system for managing remote work opportunities?

by @panoramica 5yr 5 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™m currently doing some work through Upwork, but itโ€™s sporadic and Iโ€™m keen to get more active on other platforms like Freelancer, Toptal, CodeMentor, Fiverr etc

Currently Iโ€™m managing leads in a Google sheet. Basically itโ€™s just a list of projects I pitched for, how much I bid, what I did differently from the last pitch/bid, how much time went by before I got a offered a job etc.

Iโ€™m not actively following up anybody, and Iโ€™ve in fact โ€˜lostโ€™ a few jobs where the client was keen, but then disappeared without a trace. I guess I need to keep in touch with those people to ensure that they remain focussed on our agreementโ€ฆ

Iโ€™m also keen to take on more small projects concurrently, without dropping the ball on any of them.

Iโ€™ve done a quick Google and turned up a few names including Salesforce, Zoho, Nutshell, HighRise, Base, Nimble, etc etc. But testing out all these products isnโ€™t all that appealing, so I thought Iโ€™d ask here first :slight_smile:

Ideally Iโ€™d like something that integrates with remote job boards in some way.

Feature list

Iโ€™ve done some research and currently have this feature list:

Proposal building & tracking

• Compile proposals from snippets - technologies, past projects
  • Quickly pull together a realistic/client friendly quote
  • Test and measure different approaches
  • Beat proposal deadlines while maintaining quality
  • Fine tune pitch material to bid more quickly and win more work โ€“ templates
  • Store history about past projects involving common needs and technological solutions
  • Learn which proposal content is working, and which is not

Lead generation and client management (CRM)

• store info about regular clients
  • track remote projects which Iโ€™ve pitched for
  • Remote Job Board integration
  • search multiple job sites for keywords
  • track projects across multiple remote platforms โ€“ API integration / message alert/response

Project Management & Scheduling

• Break projects down into granular tasks
  • Gantt chart to visualise overlapping jobs
  • Calendar to schedule daily work, deadlines, R&D
  • follow up, plan and schedule future work now, rather than once current work has dried up
  • offline reminders via a dedicated Android app
  • time tracking โ€“ to get an idea of true cost, to flag issues to client
  • BitBucket integration

Billing

• Integration with Xero
  • tracking status of payments, actual payment date vs expected payment clearance date

Marketing

• Get repeat business
  • Build Word Of Mouth
  • Proactive lead generation
  • Publish proposals as case studies

Cheers,
Dan

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best place to incorporate an online business?

by @octave 5yr 5 years ago  | 63 comments

I have an commerce website. We get around 1000 orders per month and this is going to get quite a bit bigger in next few years.

I am British. I live in Thailand.
Im not allowed to majority own a Thai business and small foreign entrepreneurs are not really welcome. So i need an offshore company.

I need PayPal and an ecommerce internet merchant account. Also looking at alternatives like worldpay. 2checkout etc

Does PayPal need me to be a resident to the country i register my account to? Are there complications being a non resident to get other payment solutions?

Apparently in Hong Kong you need 2 years trading history to get an Internet Mechant Account and they generally turn their noses up at those with less than $1m(us) a year turn over. Singapore seems a bit easier.

I really want to avoid paperwork and book keeping. I hate it.

So i was looking at Seychelles, Panama, BVI, Belize.

Does anyone have experience with payment providers in these countries?

Most nomads i see donโ€™t really have a high volume of small monthly transactions which i do. Im going around in circles and donโ€™t know where to start.

Ill also need a bank account for business and a personal bank account to pay my salary into

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Advice on phone plans? 1 year in Europe

by @larsheather 5yr 5 years ago  | 8 comments

Weโ€™re Americans planning to be in Europe for all of 2020 - approx. 90 days in each country, and alternating Schengen and non-Schengen. Our destinations will likely include four of these: Italy, Croatia, Bulgaria, Estonia, Ireland, Romania, and Spain.
Can anyone give us advice on cell phones? We would prefer to keep our current (U.S) numbers if at all possible. We donโ€™t anticipate making many local calls, but will phone the U.S. about once a week. Weโ€™ll use our phones for internet quite often.
Any advice for our situation would be very much appreciated!
Thanks,
Heather and Lars

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Nomad in Europe and buying a car

by @toob 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

Weโ€™re nomadโ€™ing around Europe, living in places for a few months at a time. It would be super convenient to own a car for this, but we havenโ€™t found a good option to buy and keep one without being a steady registered resident in any country. Every time we move weโ€™d have to basically change number plates et cetera.

Does anyone have any experience with this and has helpful advice?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best mobile-data option in New Zealand for nomads?

in New Zealand by @goldsaj 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi All! Iโ€™ve heard Spark and Vodafone are the best. I plan to move around, so I care mostly about having good coverage, and all Iโ€™ll need is around 1 GB of data or so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can anyone recommend a good Swedish bank for European student?

by @raz 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

The ideal bank will have an easy on-boarding as a European student studying and living in Sweden for a year and is merciful when it comes to sending GBP into the account.
Can anybody recommend a good Swedish bank? :raised_hands:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best bank for South African digital nomads?

in South Africa by @kirst85 6yr 6 years ago  | 12 comments

Iโ€™m a South African about to become a Nomad next year. I will still be employed by a South African company and receive a salary into my FNB bank account monthly.

I will be mostly based in Serbia but plan on travelling a lot. Does anyone have any advice on the best bank account to have? Is there a way to not get charged a small fortune in ATM charges and avoid getting my account frozen for using it in lots of countries?

Iโ€™m unsure of the best way to handle things. Should I try get another bank account outside of SA (Can I even do that)? I also have a British Passport if that makes a difference.

If any of you have any experienced advice I would be very grateful, Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's better? Puerto Vallarta vs. Playa del Carmen in Mexico?

in Puerto Vallarta , Mexico by @oskar 6yr 6 years ago  | 12 comments

Iโ€™m going to travel to Mexico by the end of february and i would like to know which place do you recommend to stay at for a month or so. Which one would fit better for a digital nomad? Pros and Cons for each place are welcomed :smile:

thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Whatโ€™s a good European call & SMS forwarding service?

by @adrienbetweets 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi all

What do you guys use for receiving both sms & calls on a European phone number?

Iโ€™d like to have a phone number that does not change for at least 1 or 2 years.

I did my homework & found this thread but itโ€™s only about US services so I donโ€™t think itโ€™s relevant: Whatโ€™s a good US call and SMS forwarding service?
Also, I looked into Google Hangout but it doesnโ€™t support European phone numbers.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best European Ski Towns?

by @matthewhallcom 6yr 6 years ago  | 9 comments

Looking to spend around 6 weeks somewhere in Europe this winter skiing and working. Donโ€™t need a big tech community but care more about it being affordable and having at least half decent skiing.

So far I have heard good things about Les Deux Alpes, France and Bansko, Bulgaria.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where is the best place to open a bank account in Europe?

by @julien 6yr 6 years ago  | 7 comments

Hello the community,

I am thinking about opening a business bank account in another country outside of France.
I live in Paris and I work as a freelancer. The taxes on my salary are very expensive (around 85%). I would like to know if there are better options for bank accounts within Europe.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

J

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio