What's the easiest way to become an EU resident as an American national?

Hello fellow Nomads!

I’d like to be more than just a Shengen stamp in the EU. What are the easiest ways/countries to be an EU resident (perhaps even permanent).

I heard you can buy cheaper property in Bulgaria or a business in Lithuania. Does anyone have suggestions?

Happy Nomading!
Andrew

1 Like

Marry an EU citizen. :smile:

1 Like

Too late, already married a Belorussian )

What is your ancestry? Some EU countries offer citizenship through Ancestry. I’m getting my Italian citizenship that way.

2 Likes

I have Danish ancestry. I wonder if it’s possible. For Italian, did they have an age cut-off after 17 or something like that?

I don’t know about Denmark, but it can’t hurt to check it out. Italy has no cutoff age, but whether it can come through the maternal or paternal line is decided by birth dates. I’ve not paid too much attention to that because mine comes through the paternal line so it doesn’t impact me. I qualify because my Great Grandfather was born there.

1 Like

That’s really amazing. Great Grandfather can equate to citizenship? Go Italy!

1 Like

Yep! Made my flipping day when I found that out! It’s a long process, but the end result will be awesome!

Residency is usually defined via physical presence, so you don’t have to have ancestry, etc (thats needed for citizenship).

There is one exception emerging for virtual EU residency: https://e-estonia.com/e-residents/about/

As far as I know, though, Estonia’s virtual residency program doesn’t confer any of the benefits associated with traditional citizenship (like, most relevant to people like us, a passport, but also things like access to nationalized social services, voting rights, etc.). Of course, correct me if I’m wrong.

And, about Bulgaria, yes you heard right. If you buy enough real property in BG they’ll give you a BG passport. But a quaint little hamlet in the countryside won’t cut it — you better be prepared to drop about a quarter mil USD.

Just make sure you call it “investing in the national economic infrastructure.” “Buying a passport” sounds gauche.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2014/03/17/for-150000-you-can-buy-bulgarian-eu-citizenship/

1 Like

If you have recent-ish Italian background, check this out: http://www.myitaliancitizenship.com/

That’s exactly what I pointed out: residency != citizenship. The original question asked about the former. Passports and voting rights relate to latter.

1 Like

I contacted the Danish embassy. They said the cut-off is 18 years old. However (a big one), you can appeal the decision if you can prove you practiced Danish traditions in the home (we kind of did). I think I will go for it!

Also, a business license in Lithuania allows for a residence permit for you and the business owner’s spouse. That’s also exciting news.

I got a 4 year self-employment resident visa in Berlin, Germany. My boyfriend also got a 1 year WHP visa (we’re Australian, but I assume US has the same program available to them too). I’d highly recommend the 4 year self-employment visa - I had a great German lady help me get mine (for 800 euro) as you need to translate everything & be able to have someone that can speak Deutsche. She came to the meetings with me for the application & helped me to set up a bank account etc. PM me if you want her details.

5 Likes

The Dutch-American Friendship Treaty allows Dutch residency to Americans who start a business in The Netherlands. You don’t need to hire anyone locally or have a lot of registered capital; the minimum investment is a few thousand dollars. There are very strict requirements around this visa, and you will have to move your tax domicile to The Netherlands (where you will be paying more in taxes than in the US) and sign up for Dutch health insurance. You will also have to follow all of the Dutch regulations around residency registration with city hall, etc. However, the procedure does work and you could pick far worse places in the world to live than The Netherlands.

4 Likes

Some countries sell EU resident, it´s very expensive but possible:)
" Obtain a Cyprus passport for you and your family with an investment of less than €1 million."

source: https://uae-company-service.com/european-passport

Hungary could be an option ! If you incorporate a company or invest in bonds , you can become a resident. They are open to all nationalities as well !

Thank you for the information provided. I am from India and has just joined nomad forum.

You have mentioned about a certain German Lady who has helped you getting the self-employment resident visa in Berlin, Germany.
I am interested in getting this visa .
I would highly appreciate if you could provide me the contact details for the mentioned lady.
My email is [email protected].

Again thank you in advance for the the required information

I believe Adam at Travels of Adam (Google it) wrote a detailed account of getting German residency as an American freelancer.

I also just wrote a detailed account of my Swiss visa process as an American freelancer. Many European countries operate similarly. http://gigigriffis.com/how-i-got-swiss-residency/

1 Like