What's the re-entry time for a Schengen area visa?

Hey guys,

I’m in Romania now and looking to re-enter the schengen area. However, I have some doubts about the way the days are calculated for the visa.

I entered the Schengen area on 28th July 2014, and left on 26th October 2014.

When’s the earliest I can re-enter?
Is it 23rd January or 24th?

I’m asking because I definitely need to leave Romania on the 23rd January. I’ll be taking the train to Budapest. If I can only re-enter on 24th, I’m wondering what they will do to me.

I assume you have to be out of Schengen for 90 days?

Use this: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html?d1=28&m1=10&y1=2014&type=add&ay=&am=&aw=&ad=90

Result: Monday, 26 January 2015

Probably add an extra day to that.

Schengen allows you to be in the Schengen area for 90 days out of every 180. It is calculated on a rolling basis.

If you really entered Schengen area on July the 28th and left on October the 26th, you have exceeded your stay for 1 day. You might have a problem because of that.
Regarding your re-entry into Schengen zone, you might not be allowed to enter until 00:01 hours of January the 24th, and even then you could have problems because of the previous 1-day overstay.
It depends on the immigration officer, basically. You might get away with it, but it is unlikely, as you will have two problems at the same time.

@Diginomad thanks. I honestly didn’t realize I overstayed by 1 day until you pointed that out. When I left Warsaw, the officer didn’t even tell me that.
So, is the re-entry date calculated by adding 180 days from the entry date, or 90 days from the exit date?

It’s not unusual that the immigration officer “ignores” that you overstayed a couple of days when you are leaving the country, although in some places you would have been warned for that, or even fined.
You have to stay out of Schengen for 90 days or more in order to re-enter if you stayed for the 90 days allowed within a 180 days window.
The calculation is not that simple, hence the confusions it generates.

The day of entry is the start of both a 180-days and a 90-days windows to the past. Within that window, you can only have stayed for a total of 90 days.
Any day that you have stayed within the nearer 90-days window is going to count against the days you will be allowed to stay. If you were out of Schengen for the last 90 days previous to your arrival, you will get another 90 days, as long as they don’t give you trouble for the 1-day overstay.

1 Like

The “90 days in any 180 days period” policy is tricky: you need to count backward from the day you EXIT the area.
Turkey has the same policy. As I’ve been in and out, I was annoyed to calculate my remaining days, so I just made visacountdown.com. You can use it for any area with a “90 days in any 180 days period” policy.