Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,883) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where should we go as a family? Manila, Cebu or Bangkok?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @kaizenpreneur 8yr  | 6 comments

Hi all,

I am looking to get some advice from the collective on where to set up a temporary base for 4-6 weeks in either BKK, Cebu or Manila.

Iโ€™m looking to spend 4-6 weeks somewhere with my wife and 3-month-old boy as a trial run on being a little more nomadic in work / life balance. In the months leading up to the birth of my son, my work situation become a lot more flexible. So, although I am doing all my work from my home-base, I really am not tied to being here for any other reason than it is where I am at present.

I am keen to spend a few years slow travelling with my family while working as a DM. My wife is open / curious about this but needs a little more experience and convincing, hence a trial run somewhere.

Why these cities?

My wife is a Philippino-Australian so we have family and familiarity with Manila and the Philippines (although neither of us have been to Cebu).

BKK I have been too several times in the last couple of years - we both like the city and have a few contacts there.

Requirements

• Relatively safe
  • Not too remote - for hospitals etc w/ a young child
  • A house / condo / decent apartment at a good cost
  • Possibility to hire assistance / nanny
  • As relatively low cost as possible
  • Reliable and as fast as possible internet access

I currently spend time mentor at some of the accelerators schemes in Australia - so Iโ€™ll be interested to also explore and network the startup / entrepreneur and nomad communities while I am there. As well as having potential conversations around hiring local staff, either as remote workers or if I come back to open up a business.

By way of a little background, I have a history in digital marketing, internet marketing startup consultancy, mentorship and business advisory services.

Based on the above - which location would you recommend that best fits the criteria? any recommendations on property rental? tips or advice for DCers on the ground?

Iโ€™m in BKK for DNX in a couple of weeks if anyone is attending and/or interested in meeting up for a coffee or talking further.

Cheers

Jon

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™d go for Bangkok or Southern Thailand. Cultural experiences in BKK, then a laid back time in either Phuket or Koh Samui. Iโ€™m a backpacker who ended up becoming a digital nomad and I often use the ferry booking agent PhuketFerry as they have the cheapest prices and love their incredible customer support, so exploring these islands and trying to find the best spot for you and your fam will surely be a breeze. Both Phuket and Koh Samui have really reliable Internet too. Samui is much more relaxed though. I wonโ€™t mind working in front of the beach!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jcw 8yr

We loved in Bkk with our family and it was good apart from the oppressive heat!

There are tons of kids play groups, look on the BAMBI website.

Just make sure you get a condo with a good pool and garden for the kids and socializing.

EKAMAI gardens is a great condo in a pretty good location.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Definiitly not Manila. Prices are ridiculous high if youยดre Makati area of Manila compared to other cities in SEA. The internet is really spotty. Terrible traffic. Also not really the safest city.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I was in Cebu 3 weeks ago. Bangkok is so much better in every way. The infrastructure in Thailand is much more developed.

Bangkok Internet: 20mbps
Philippines Internet: 2.5mpbs. Canโ€™t even really watch YouTube.

I went from Chiang Mai to Cebu. Stayed in Cebu 5 days, didnโ€™t like it at all, and went to Bangkok.

Sounds like you are already familiar with Bangkok. The only thing that would be in Cebu for you would be family. There are no other advantages to going to Cebu. I would avoid Cebu.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey Jon!

Iโ€™m only really familiar with Bangkok, itโ€™s a great city with everything you are looking for. Every time Iโ€™ve been in the Philippines (Palawan and Boracay), the internet was a real challenge.

Iโ€™ll also be at DNX next month with my wife so would be great to meet up.

Cheers,
Robert

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi Robert

Thanks for the reply - that is one major concern with the Philippines, the internet is generally not up to it.

Meeting up at DNX sounds good - iโ€™ll ping you PM now.

Cheers
Jon

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone up to explore some city which is kinda virus safe?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @germanrobert 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

Hello World!

I'm an experienced Digital Nomad and after being in Lockdown in Bangkok and Germany for one year I would like to team up with someone to visit a new place. Or just doing some exchange about what destinations would be interesting currently.

I take the virus seriously and still I think we can still be able to take our life in our own hands. So I'm aiming for cities/countries which are not in full lockdown, are not too complicated about immigration (I'm looking at you Thailand, your state quarantine costs like 1k USD and is basically a prison) and is also rather safe regarding the virus. I tend to stick for rather big cities and like culture. I'm not a beach or nature person. I'm pretty flexible about the money topic.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find Bangkok apartment rentals <$1,000/mo?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @vesko89 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Hey all,

i am trying to find a monthly based condo in SUKHUMVIT in BKK becaue i am staying 1-3 Months in BKK. But somehow its nearly impossible to find a nice one. Except Air BnB 1000$+ โ€ฆ

How do you find your Condos in BKK?

Greetings Vesko

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Trialing Bangkok

in Bangkok , Thailand by @sp_o2tn1 6yr 6 years ago  | 3 comments

Hey - Iโ€™m heading to Bangkok for a month from the 14th November to see how it feels living and working there for a month in terms of productivity/lifestyle/etc. Iโ€™m a FX/Futures trader so just generally require a decent computer and internet connection.

As far as the basics:
Housing: airbnb in Chatuchak
Workspace: The Hive
Gym: Traininggroundbkk

Any must seeโ€™s / advice / from those who have been to BKK would be appreciated. Likewise If youโ€™re planning on being there over the same period drop me a line!

Cheers

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Moving to Thailand for 6-9 months in August. Bangkok or somewhere else?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @andrea3018 7yr 7 years ago  | 14 comments

Hello Nomads,
I would like to move in Thailand for 6-9 months starting from August.
Iโ€™ll definetely stay in Chiang Mai as base for most of the time but Iโ€™d like to do the first month (August) in Bangkok or somewhere else.
What place would you recommend to visit first?
Would Bangkok be a good place to be during August?
I was also checking at the east coast isles but I got a little frightened out by the moonsoon idea but still, it would be cool to go to beaches and have some sun during that month :slight_smile: .
Would the moonsoons or the rain really be a problem?
Iโ€™ll move to Chiang Mai from september anyway but I would just like to start somewhere else since I have to wait for my girlfriend to come during september.

Thank you in advance for your advices,
Sorry for the bad english,
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What nomads are out there traveling married and/or with a family?

by @danielgenser 7yr 7 years ago  | 37 comments

Iโ€™m curious to hear from the nomads out there who are traveling as a married couple (or long term committed couple, no matter). Many of the articles, guides, and tips one reads are understandably written from the single travelerโ€™s perspective (even if they are traveling in a group).

What nomads are out there traveling with a marriage mate and/or family?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone using this place in Cebu?

in Cebu , Philippines by @pashley 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Going by the website, this shared work space sounds good:

Does anyone here have actual experience with it?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Who is a solo-traveling digital nomad, who's traveling in a group or as a nomad family?

by @naii 8yr 8 years ago  | 25 comments

It feels that being a digital nomad / remote worker also means a lot to be a solo-traveler. Iโ€™d like to see how much this is the case here โ€” out of curiosity. And whether there are actually groups or families traveling in the (digital) nomad lifestyle.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place to stay in Bangkok?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @csilver34 8yr 8 years ago  | 15 comments

Hey nomads!

Will be flying into Bangkok from NY the second week of March to start off my travels & then move to the South of Thailand.

Anyone have any recommendations for stay in Bangkok?

Thanks nomads!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Good places in Bangkok where phone use is allowed - Coworking places phone use rules?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @djar 8yr 8 years ago  | 2 comments

Hello everyone,
i am currently in Bangkok and looking for a coworking place where taking some calls would not be a problem. I understand that i.e. programmers need silence to work, so what is the solution?

For my work i have to make calls, but i will try to keep my voice down. :slight_smile: What is the policy at the coworking spaces, how do others manage?

Thanks
djar

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

MacBook pro Fan broke, where to go in Bangkok?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @djar 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

I am really a lucky guy. :slight_smile:

On my way to Koh Lanta, i dropped my MacBook from about 10cm. Enought to brake the fan, which is now making starnge noises. Good start to my first nomad experience. :slight_smile:

I think i have to fly back to BKK to get this fixed. Any recommandations? There is no official apple store in Thailand i think.

Can anybody recommand a good store that performes on site repair? Price is secondary, as this is my primary working tool.

Thanks
David

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best coworking space in Bangkok?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @levelsio 8yr 8 years ago  | 11 comments

When Iโ€™m in BKK, I usually work at Hubba, but thereโ€™s been a lot of new spaces popping up recently. Iโ€™ve heard about Launchpad, The Hive etc.

Whatโ€™s your favorite place to work in Bangok?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the difference between Cebu and Davao?

in Davao , Philippines by @miles 8yr 8 years ago  | 8 comments

My wife and I are planning on spending a month or two in the Philippines from mid December through mid January. We have many teammates there and plan to travel to meet each of them, but want a โ€˜home baseโ€™ for the duration of the stay.

We love being near the beach, stand up paddle boarding, we are novice surfers and we enjoy being able to walk around and access local restaurants, stores, shops, beaches, etc.

Internet speeds donโ€™t worry us much as we lived in Mexico last year and dealt with slow internet without issue.

Access to healthy/organic foods is a big plus for usโ€ฆ

Just trying to figure out if anyone has any insight on these two option in the Philippines that may help us make a decision.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where can I find a notary service in Bangkok?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @iramalama 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

I need to get a few documents legally certified and am not really sure where to start. Whatever certifying remarks (if any) would need to be in English. Anyone have any ideas where I could find this service without paying a law firm a small fortune for the 2 minutes it would take to do it? Would an embassy (like US Embassy?) be able to do something like this?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

A good place for a Skype interview in Bangkok?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @now 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

Hello,

Iโ€™ll have a Skype interview in a few days. Does anyone have recommendation for a good place to do this ?
Coworking spaces sound like a good solution (Hubba or TheHive ?), but it seems like I would need to rent an entire meeting room, is that right ?

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any tips for renting a one month apartment in Bangkok for under $500/month?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @kirill 9yr 9 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™m moving to Bangkok in November, and shooting to find an apt. with wifi for under $500 / month, for probably just a one month stay.

More curious about which neighborhoods to look for, something lively and fun as well. And any methods too, Iโ€™ve been looking at Airbnbs but get the feeling that itโ€™s a little inflated on there.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best area in Bangkok?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @douwe81 9yr 9 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi all!

My girlfriend and I are moving to Bangkok in 2 months. Weโ€™ve both been there a few times, but only on holiday.

We would like to know if there are any tips of where to best find an appartment.

Also which area do you think is best to live and why?

Thanks in advance for your help and answers!!

Douwe

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is the safety in Bangkok after the bomb attack of August 2015?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @hydrofog 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

Hey everyone, I havenโ€™t actually set out into the digital nomad lifestyle yet, but plan to within this year. Bangkok is (was) a place that I was looking into very deeply as my first location to go.

But today a bomb went off near the centre of the city:

This scares me massively, and worries me to ever travel thereโ€ฆ after this event would you still recommend going to Bangkok?

I hope everyone who is in Bangkok that is apart of this forum is okay, Iโ€™m pretty sure I read that 6 foreigners died in the blastโ€ฆ RIP to all the souls who were lost.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads traveling with a family?

by @ayoungh 9yr 9 years ago  | 0 comments

Hope this is in the right section.

I have just recently had a little boy with my wife who is from the Philippines and was wondering if there are any nomads traveling with family or have settled in somewhere in Asia?

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to live as a location-independent online entrepreneur with a family?

by @michael_kay 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

Hello, My name is Michael and Iโ€™m an online entrepreneur, I have a wife who works together with me and a 2 year old kid. We have a company registered in the UAE freezone and have lived in Dubai for 2 years, we have decided to move to another country where we can live a better life with the same income. We are looking into Thailand, Maldives, Sri Lanka and other Island nations, as we love living near the sea. We are looking for a nice comfortable villa near the beach with everything needed for a comfortable lifestyle, we need good internet for our work. We are looking for a safe country/city and a peaceful lifestyle. Our monthly budget for everything is around $4000. I guess for this budget we can find a place anywhere, but weโ€™re looking for a best quality of life we can get for this amount of money. It would be great if any of you kind nomads suggest such a place for us. Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best dentist in Bangkok?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @ryanleroux 9yr 9 years ago  | 10 comments

Hello folks :smile:

Iโ€™ll be visiting Thailand for the month of May after a yearlong stay in France. Iโ€™ve heard that getting dental work is super affordable in Thailand and I was hoping to get a cleaning + checkup before returning home to Canada in June.

Anyone have any experience with this? Iโ€™d love to get your thoughts/experience.

Thanks,
Ryan

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
510ms