Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,886) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to stay in the USA for 6 months? Vegas, California? Something else?

in Cali , Colombia by @yesmad 9yr  | 21 comments

My girlfriend and I are Canadian nomads looking to spend 6 months (ideally) in the US this winter. Weโ€™re trying to figure out the best place to do so! The goal is to live somewhere nice and build up more savings and income.

Since weโ€™re in Montreal and sick of the brutal winters, we want somewhere warm. And since weโ€™re nomading, weโ€™re looking to stay as cheap as possible, but also comfortable. Weโ€™d like to do a short-term (furnished) rental as opposed to a hotel or room rental since weโ€™re a couple.

We also want to live somewhere nice enough, not in a dangerous area or anything like that. We like parks, shopping, farmerโ€™s markets, etc. Not too big on night life.

Ideally, weโ€™d like somewhere in California, but Iโ€™m not sure how realistic that is for our budget ($1500/month rent at the max).

As of now weโ€™ve also looked at Las Vegas, which seems on the more affordable end of the spectrum. Austin was also on our radar, but again, not sure how realistic that is for our budget.

The biggest problem we have is actually finding available rentals online! We need something furnished! Doing anything through Craigslist online is out, and I know most people will suggest AirBNB, but it seems rather inflated in price. Other than that, there seems to be only private websites that are just as difficult (or untrustworthy looking) as Craigslist.

Can anyone point us in the right direction? Where would you guys suggest in our situation? Anyone from Vegas/California/Austin that could point us in the right direction for furnished short-term housing?

This seems like a really great community! I hope someone out there can help us out! :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@ld 9yr

Iโ€™m from California, currently Airbnbโ€™ing in Colorado. I stayed in a few locations in CA with Airbnb as well.

We couldnโ€™t find anything less that $2,000 / month in CA (probably more like $2,200+). The only affordable place that isnโ€™t in the middle of nowhere in CA is Palm Springs.

CO is a bit betterโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@travis 9yr

Weโ€™ve had great results negotiating rates on longer AirBNB rentals. We just stayed in one for 7 weeks, and paid less than half the listed nightly rate.

I would also suggest considering Costa Rica and Belize. Belize is easy because English is spoken there, but many people in CR speak English as well. Theyโ€™re almost certainly both cheaper than southern California.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Winter is best in Arizona, south California and Florida if youโ€™re looking for warmth. An alternative is to stay in the RV parks that either have cabins or park models for rent. But make sure to stay in weekly or monthly increments to get good prices. Arizona RV parks are excellent in terms of monthly prices and amenities - some of the RV parks have things like heated pools, hot tubs, game rooms, fast free WiFi, in or very close to big cities like Tucson and Phoenix. Most of the people youโ€™ll meet there will be โ€œsnowbirdsโ€ from Canada or northern US :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nic221 9yr

I lived in Tucson last winter (Jan - May) and I loved it. Itโ€™s slightly cheaper than other U.S. cities and has a lot going on because of the university. If you live near the university or downtown, itโ€™s very walkable and bikeable. Hereโ€™s my blog post about it for more details: http://locationflexiblelife.com/2015/04/24/living-in-tucson-without-a-car/
I liked it so much that Iโ€™m going back in 2016 for the same time period (Jan-May). Iโ€™ve got a house-sitting gig lined up.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@chriscct7 9yr

If your looking at long term, an alternative to airbnb thatโ€™s generally cheaper for long term rentals would be renting a house using a site like vrbo

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Austin is a possibility on your budget. Also consider Florida. I think most of California is out if your plan is to save money. And nobody enjoys living in Las Vegas. But flights are cheap, so just take a long weekend there.

If youโ€™re set on the Southwest experience, consider Phoenix, Arizona. Itโ€™s not an exciting city, but winters are warm and youโ€™d be close (somewhat) to fantastic attractions like the Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu and Tonto National Forest.

A lot of Airbnb hosts donโ€™t set a monthly rate, so the system defaults to daily rate x 30. Donโ€™t be afraid to negotiate. Many hosts will agree to 10-20 times the daily rate for a month.

Happy Trails!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mason 9yr

Cross California off your list. Way too expensive unless your on a 7-figure income. Come down to Florida. Handful of small beaches with GREAT hotel/motel pricing as well as a great economy. Here are some beaches I recommend:
Cocoa Beach (LOVE IT, small beach in a small town with many gift shops and nice people!)
Clearwater Beach
Daytona Beach

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jorisw 9yr

Donโ€™t go to Vegas. Vegas is fun for a few nights, then youโ€™re fed up.

We did the SF - LA - LV triangle trip and I liked SF the most, but depending on the season that may not be the climate youโ€™re looking for, and indeed living expenses in SF are outrageous. I would recommend any place in southern California. We had quite a bit of fun in Santa Cruz.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Savannah, Georgia. Such a beautiful place and the people are amazing!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Agreed. Itโ€™s almost as large as Charleston population-wise too, which is included on the list. It has wifi everywhere, coworking spaces, coffee shops galore and 5-star hotels at 3-star prices. And itโ€™s prettier than Charleston in my opinionโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Just +1โ€™ing the Colorado suggestion. Itโ€™s not WARM, but in the summer you wonโ€™t be roasting like you would in Austin or Las Vegas, and its winters are quite mild, if you are not in the mountains. Itโ€™s a high-altitude arid environment. When it snows, itโ€™s quickly sunny again and it melts.

Rent is not too bad. My wife and I pay $900/month for a 1br which includes all utilities except internet. It was not a furnished apartment, though.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@torehan 9yr

Seattle and Portland!
Its beautiful up here especially in the summer. Great food and awesome outdoor activities.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Have you thought about finding a month long house sit in the areas youโ€™re interested in? Some house sits can be up to three months. Might be worth a look to keep costs down. You usually have to pay a small fee to join one of the sites, but it more than makes up for the savings youโ€™ll make.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@tkrunning 9yr

I am personally a big fan of the Bay Area, but that would most definitely be outside your budget unless you have some great connections there that can hook you up with some deals. I managed to get a room in a nice San Mateo house last fall for $850 per month, but that is insanely cheap for the bay (and that was thanks to a friend posting to the Stanford Alumni mailing list for me). I also like San Diego, and it is probably a better fit for your budget. Plus, you should easily be able to start practicing your Spanish there :wink:

PS: Other decent places to look for housing (that I would trust more than Craigslist) include Facebook and G+ groups. Search for โ€œhousing [city]โ€ or something along those lines.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

If youโ€™re looking for somewhere warm, Colorado is great in summer, but gets quite cold and snowy in winter (I lived there before nomading).

If your $1500 is just for housing, I think youโ€™ll be totally fine in the US. When youโ€™re searching Airbnb, just make sure you search for dates that span a month (this will switch them automatically to monthly pricing) and use the little pricing bar to select something under your budget so that you can see all the budget options. And like someone said above, always ask about discounts for a month-long stay, especially if you are there in off-season or want to stay for more than one month. My housing budget is less than yours and I almost always find something good on Airbnb.

Your other option in the US is Craigslist. Search for furnished short-term rentals (thereโ€™s a whole section for that). But be pickyโ€ฆyou wonโ€™t have the reviews of Airbnb or the guarantee they offer (if you end up somewhere horrifying with Airbnb, theyโ€™ll help you out and get you into another place). I heard someone suggest once hiring someone on one of those online miscellaneous sites to go check out apartments or neighborhoods for them. Thought that was an interesting idea.

As for where to go, here are a few warm options:

San Diego, California: temperate weather, nice beaches, good Mexican food, not as expensive as people think (I rented a room there for about $700 if Iโ€™m remembering correctly, so I think you could find a small apartment within your budget). Downsides: as with most of the US, you will need a car and some neighborhoods arenโ€™t as nice.

Tucson, Arizona: most definitely hot weather, an interesting city, again good Mexican food, cactus, hiking, hip university city. Downside: again, car, and people who have lived there a while say it starts to feel like a small town with small town drama (Iโ€™ve only visited myself, so I canโ€™t speak to that).

Austin, Texas: Quirky, weird, great bar scene, colorful, great Mexican food, walkable downtown (you may be able to get by without a car - not sure). Downsides: Texas has that whole gun reputation that makes me personally feel nervous.

If youโ€™re not stuck on the western US, Iโ€™ve heard great things about Charleston, SC.

Finally, I second what other people have been suggesting: consider going somewhere outside the US. Central and South America are cheaper, you can get by without a car in many cases, and the healthcare system is better and less expensive if something goes wrong during your stay. You mentioned being worried about not speaking the language - donโ€™t worry about it! Youโ€™ll pick some up, people are super nice and ready to help you out, and if you start in a well touristed town youโ€™ll find plenty of English speakers when you need them. If you do start researching this, I have a particular fondness for a town on the western coast of Mexico called Sayulita. Colorful, full of people from all over the world, a surfing paradise, a big yoga community, etc.

Iโ€™ve also heard great things about Costa Rica.

Good luck!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Colorado is GREAT if you have a car. Much cheaper than CA, gorgeous climate in the summer, and plenty to do!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@yesmad 9yr

Yes, I have a car and weโ€™ll be driving down and have it with us, so we have a lot more options. Mainly, weโ€™re looking for somewhere warm. Itโ€™s Easter in Montreal and thereโ€™s still snow on the ground, and itโ€™s below freezing. Snow for nearly half the year starts to get old. No reason to stay here if we can live anywhere and work!

We hadnโ€™t really considered Colorado, but again, weโ€™d really like somewhere warm.

Weโ€™re looking at Mexico more now, but weโ€™d really like somewhere nice in California if possible. Thanks for the help so far!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

have you added costs of a car into your budget? because there are really only about 6-8 cities in the US that you can easily not have a car and most are not in your budget or weather requirement. I also second Mexico. Itโ€™s an easy country, even if you donโ€™t speak Spanish and itโ€™s significantly cheaper.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@shayna 9yr

Itโ€™s more โ€œwestโ€ than โ€œsouthwest,โ€ but consider Colorado (Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs). One of the healthiest/most active states in the U.S., easy access to the Rocky Mountains for hiking etc. Or if you want a hotter climate, thereโ€™s Arizona.

With AirBNB, consider writing to hosts and inquiring about a discount for a rental of 1 month or more. Canโ€™t hurt to ask; I know several nomads who consistently get reduced prices by doing this.

Another thought is to look up the local cityโ€™s newspaper online and check the classifieds section. Might be a bit harder to find furnished, but you never know! Contact people and ask if theyโ€™d be willing to rent short-term.

Finally - make sure to consider the public transportation options in your location. The U.S. tends to be very car-centric, so you donโ€™t want to get stuck somewhere thatโ€™s nowhere near a bus/train stop! (Unless youโ€™re planning on driving a car down from Canada?)

Good luck!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Why does it have to be the US? For your budget, thatโ€™s pretty expensive in most desirable places. Iโ€™m in Mexico City right now and itโ€™s awesome. However, if you want US - definitely California is going to be difficult to swing. A tip for AirBNB is to find a place that you like that isnโ€™t crazy expensive, and make an offer to the host for a long term stay - you definitely can negotiate.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@yesmad 9yr

We were set on the south-western USA area for a few reasons, namely that we like the vibe and weather, and itโ€™s an easier transition for me, as I donโ€™t speak anything but English. She speaks multiple languages, so yes, itโ€™s as funny and pathetic to her as it probably is to everyone here.

Mexico is definitely on our list, but we were planning on spending time in the US first. It seems like a cool place to live, though! If you have any suggestions for places in Mexico that fit our needs, Iโ€™d love to hear.

But yeah, I realize it might be tough to find something in the US with our budget.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place in South East Asia to live for 6+ months per year

in Indonesia by @miklaskroager 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

We're looking for a country in South East Asia that can function as our base, mainly for tax purposes. Meaning it will have to be a place where we can stay for the 183 days required without too much hassle.

We've been looking at Thailand, but have heard that it's very hard to do visa runs etc., so what other can you recommend? Indonesia looked like a good option, but the income rate is a flat 20% and very high for the region.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is it easy to renew your tourist visa for 6 months in Colombia?

in Colombia by @julien 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

Hello everyone,
I will come to live in Colombia for one year.
What is the best solution with the Visa?
I thought to have a Visa for tourists for 3 months and renewal the visa for 6 months. Is that hard to renewal a tourist Visa in Colombia?
Thank you for your help.
Best,
Julien

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are wise ways to handle health insurance, as a USA person

by @azurio 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi! Iโ€™m still struggling to figure out how to handle health insurance.

What handy guides have you found to help figure out USA health care?

Iโ€™m struggling with:

• When itโ€™s okay/wise to go without coverage while abroad, these days.
  • What other type of insurance I want while traveling, and whether it needs to be a supplement to USA insurance or if it can be a replacement.
  • Etc.

Above all, I think I want out. I wonder about success stories in moving to some other system/location, and the method youโ€™d recommend: additional citizenship, a special visa, etc.

I have searched this topic and struggled with it, so summaries and clarity are super helpful. I appreciate any and all help with this. Thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do I ensure that getting refused entry to the UK won't keep me from getting an Australian 462 (work and holiday) visa?

in Australia by @allisonkirschbaum 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

On New Yearโ€™s Day this year, I was refused entry to the UK due to not having proof of funds, an outward-bound plane ticket (I was road-tripping out with a friend via car) and not being able to prove that I had indeed canceled the lease on the apartment I had leased during a prior recent trip.

I havenโ€™t had any entry issues to any of the several countries Iโ€™ve visited after, but now Iโ€™m applying for a 462 visa (work and holiday) visa in Australia, and since Australia and the UK share an immigration info system, I want to make sure getting refused entry wonโ€™t keep me from getting a visa. None of the issues that cropped up in the UK (the proof of funds, the plane ticket, and the apartment) will be an issue in Australia, as Iโ€™ve never traveled there before, donโ€™t know anyone and will have proof of more than sufficient funds for the trip and an outbound plane ticket.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to make the approval process go as smoothly as possible?

Many thanks in advance! :smiley:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anyone from EU bought tickets at Ticketmaster.com and Fandango.com for USA

by @gmisjura1 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

Hey everyone,

I got into situation when nothing really helped me, and now searching for alternatives.

Two web site where I was trying to buy tickets for Tribeca film festival and just cinema do not let me to buy tickets and the websites are quite big -

Ticketmaster.com
Fandango.com

My question is , does anyone know alternative where I could buy tickets for example Madisson Square show and AMC Cinema screening. Eventbite worked fine for example with European card.

Best,

Georgius.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Good place on Fiji for expats and remote work for long term (6 month or more)

in Fiji by @zoxel 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey there dear Nomads,
We were thinking to try out Fiji for some period but after looking at rental prices there were quite surprised (not in a good way).
Though still trying :slight_smile: I would appreciate if some one can advise\share any particular area or place where you can rent something similar to Thai condos (like in Pattaya or Chiang Mai) but in Fiji at some reasonable price.
Hope there is something there :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance for your time.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking for something to prop up my Asus MB169B+

by @jbweimar 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

I recently purchased a second monitor to connect to my MacBook Pro 15". I use the Nextstand laptop stand to get my MacBook to eye level. Iโ€™m wondering what second monitor (without base) users are using to get their second monitor at the same level. I know of this company Elevate Stand (.com), but it seems a bit heavy and bulky (although I guess it must be somewhat, if it is to hold a monitor).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Moving to Thailand for 6-9 months in August. Bangkok or somewhere else?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @andrea3018 7yr 7 years ago  | 14 comments

Hello Nomads,
I would like to move in Thailand for 6-9 months starting from August.
Iโ€™ll definetely stay in Chiang Mai as base for most of the time but Iโ€™d like to do the first month (August) in Bangkok or somewhere else.
What place would you recommend to visit first?
Would Bangkok be a good place to be during August?
I was also checking at the east coast isles but I got a little frightened out by the moonsoon idea but still, it would be cool to go to beaches and have some sun during that month :slight_smile: .
Would the moonsoons or the rain really be a problem?
Iโ€™ll move to Chiang Mai from september anyway but I would just like to start somewhere else since I have to wait for my girlfriend to come during september.

Thank you in advance for your advices,
Sorry for the bad english,
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which USA towns to experience rural South?

by @srg_b 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™m going on a rock festival to Louisiana in October. From there Iโ€™d like to visit maybe 3 places and be gone by new year. What Iโ€™m looking for are dreamy rural towns ~50k in size that havenโ€™t changed much and will allow me to briefly experience how it is living in the South/SE USA. Another thing is since Iโ€™m coming in Fall, what will the weather be? Where Iโ€™m coming from, November is all rain, clouds, winds and 10 degrees (so the crappiest weather possible). Are my filters yielding any results? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone using Charles Schwab vs N26 banks?

by @mary_oleksiuk 7yr 7 years ago  | 11 comments

Hi nomads! Iโ€™m trying to figure out all props and cons of using Charles Schwab vs N26 banks. Is anyone using those banks? If yea - what you like/dont like about it. And if income is mostly in US which one is better to open?

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How can I monitor my data usage when I have limited amounts of mobile data?

by @littleshiva 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

I use a mobile internet stick that gives me 1 gigabyte of bandwidth in a 24-hour period. If I use it all up in half that time (easy with print jobs) I have to either wait it out or use another stick. What are some of the things I can do to keep bandwidth from being used without my knowledge? (macbook pro / Yosemite) I looked in the activity monitor and safari seemed to be using a lot so I keep it off now when Iโ€™m not using it, and I paused synching on dropbox and creative cloud until Iโ€™m hooked up to wifi. Any other tricks?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anybody around Europe over the next few months?

by @paulrose 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

Hi All

Soโ€ฆ a few months ago when I was in Asia, for some reason I decided that it was gonna be too hot over the summer months and I wanted to mix it up with a few months touring Europe. So I had the idea to buy and RV and drive round for a few months.

Meet Teagan :slight_smile:

Itโ€™s taken a few months going through the process of getting my license to drive the RV, because itโ€™s so large it wasnโ€™t covered on my standard driving license. Add to that, I had some solar panels fitted for unlimited power, and a massive satellite dish for internet wherever I go.

Iโ€™ve now got my ferry booked out of the UK for September 11th and at the moment have no plans past the first few weeks.

Has anyone on here done anything similar before? Any places recommended, or anyone around Europe over the next few months?

Iโ€™m doing about 3 months worth before heading to Vegas for NYE and around the states for a few months after that before back to Asia for a bit.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Ideal 6 weeks south of the US border

by @rynesweeney 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

So I have a cruise on May 11 leaving from Cartagena Columbia. I am leaving the country the end of March and I am looking to hit 3-4 cities before setting off. This it probably my last extended stay in South America.

Current game plan:

• 2 weeks in Mexico City
  • 1 week in Havana
  • 1 week in Playa Del Carmen
  • Short term in Bogota
  • 1 week in Medellin
  • Short term in Cartagena

Am I making a mistake omitting Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Peru, Equador etc?

I work usually around 10 hours a week. I would like to spend the rest of my time soaking up the local culture, enjoying the local nightlife, and practicing my improving mediocre spanglish.

Anyone have experience/insight on areas I may enjoy more?

Thanks in advance!

Ryne

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking a for a flat to rent in Barcelona from January for 6 months. Anyone?

in Barcelona , Spain by @aleravanetti 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi guys, as I wrote in the title I am planning to move to Barcelona with my girlfriend starting from January 2017 and I am looking to rent a flat for 6 months, possibly in the Born area, but open also to other neighborhoods. My budget is around โ‚ฌ800 per month. Is anyone looking to rent out something that could fit my request? Any help would be appreciated!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Leaving USA, anyone have experience with "closer connection" test?

by @gizmocaca 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi,
Iโ€™m leaving the USA this year to embark on a nomad lifestyle, I intend to spend less than 30 days in the USA and certainly less than 180 days. If I am over 30-days, is it easy to prove I have a โ€œcloser connectionโ€ to another country i.e. Form 8840? Retirement visa to another country / property ownership sufficient ? I am British but donโ€™t want to be tax resident for UK or USA in 2017. Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where should we live in Colombia for six months?

in Colombia by @supernoveau 8yr 8 years ago  | 2 comments

Hola!

My girlfriend and I are working and slow travelling through Central and South America. We usually live in each location for around three to six months. For instance, weโ€™ve been living on Lake Atitlan in Guatemala for nearly six months now.

Weโ€™re planning our next location in Central and South America to rent for six months and weโ€™re hearing great things about Colombia.

Weโ€™d like to live in a safe and quiet natural location with friendly locals, a comfortable climate and have access to quality produce (food).

Can anyone recommend where we can live? Any tips on rentals would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Living in CZ but working for USA

by @tygrysk0landia 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

I currently live in California, and work remotely for a company in Philly. I am considering moving to CZ but keep my job here, get paid here, and pay taxes here. I am dual citizen of USA and Poland (EU member), so I know that residency wonโ€™t be a problem, but I am interested in paying taxes. If my company keeps paying me to my account in USA, and taxes in California, do I have to pay taxes is CZ as well? This company doesnโ€™t have a post in CZ.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone familiar with fluentin3months?

by @erikbenjamin 8yr 8 years ago  | 7 comments

I was wondering if there are people familiar with the website fluentin3months.com? Benny Lewis, founder of Fluent in 3 Months, says that this is a faster and smarter way to learn a language. With language hacking, you can learn a new language in months (3) or years Instead.

In my case Iโ€™m looking for an English course that allows me to communicate better in English :map: :globe_with_meridians: Is this what you think I need? :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I'll be entering the UK for 6 months, will immigration ask to see my finances?

by @shayna 8yr 8 years ago  | 24 comments

Hi!

I (American) and my husband (Brazilian) are going to London for 6 months.

Heโ€™s going to study English - heโ€™s already registered & paid for the course.

Iโ€™m going to be a touristโ€ฆ and work on my online business.

Iโ€™ve heard UK border control can be a bit difficult and am wondering if they are likely to ask for financial evidence that we can support ourselves for six months.

I have savings in the bank, but of course Iโ€™ll also be receiving regular, stable income from the online business (I could show them a history of payments stretching back a year or more, if necessary).

Any thoughts/tips?

Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone in Tenerife? I'm moving there for at least 6 months

in Tenerife , Spain by @andrea3018 8yr 8 years ago  | 9 comments

Hello Nomads,
is anyone in Tenerife at the moment? Iโ€™m moving there from the 1st of August and not getting out of it for at least 6 months.
Iโ€™m going to stay in Puerto De La Cruz.
Do any of you has ever been there and do you recommend this city to me? Or should I look for an apartment elsewhere in Tenerife?
Also, how do you find cheap long-term houses there? I would love one with a private pool.

Thanks,
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
478ms