Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,924) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which is the most viable location for a young couple moving to Seoul?

in Seoul , South Korea by @iamjamesrodgers 8yr  | 4 comments

Out of the 3 Areas which would be most beneficial for a foreigner moving to SK?
(If you have experience with areas specifically Iโ€™d love to discuss the specific schools that are offering her a position - Not posting that here for obvious reasons.)

My Girlfriend has received 3 contract offers in Seoul/Surrounding area:

i) Dobonggu
ii) Songpa-gu
iii) Bundang, Gyenggido

Background knowledge:
We love being physically active through sport and weight-lifting, love exploring food culture, need good Coffee and live very modestly in terms of going out/expenditure.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@natalie1 7yr

I lived in Jamsil, Song-pa for a year and it was quite oppressive. I would recommend Bundang for sure.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@hyobii 8yr

Hello, James.

Iโ€™m from Seoul, South Korea, so I might be of help to help you understand those areas to some extent.

Dobonggu is a less fancy district compared to other two areas. There is a mountain called โ€˜Bukhansanโ€™ known for a beautiful hiking trail. But shops/restaurants/gyms and other facilities could be less various. Rents in Dobonggu are one of the cheapest in Seoul.

Songpagu is one of the four infamous districts in Gangnam (which literally means the southern area of Han River but it is more conceived of as the area in which rich and wealthy people live) where rents are the highest and the fervor for education is just frantic. The education level in these areas is top-notch in the whole country and parents can be very demanding. But it could be good in terms of living as there are so many entertaining/leisure/cultural facilities around you.

Bundang is outside of Seoul and it takes about 40-50 minutes to enter Seoul area with public transport. Bundang is a very well-established new town and people who choose to live there are more likely to have preference to a laid-back lifestyle within urban surroundings. Although itโ€™s less crowded than Seoul, the so-called โ€˜education feverโ€™ is as high as the districts in Gangnam.

I havenโ€™t lived in these areas in person so I canโ€™t give you more detailed information. But hopefully this will help you guys decide where to live. And donโ€™t worry about finding gyms, restaurants, or cafes wherever you choose to live. They are everywhere. Cheers.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@hyobii - You are a treat! this information is very valuable especially from someone who is from South Korea as most of our conversations up to this point has been from Expats/Foreigners.
We are leaning towards Bundang at this point and your words about this location are very affirming.

If you donโ€™t mind - I wouldnโ€™t mind widening this conversation a bit, we already ran into a small issue in cultural difference when we announced that we were coming together as "Girlfriend/Boyfriend"
So bad to the point that my partner lost her first contract in Gangam because of itโ€ฆ (Super frustrating) The interviews after she started referring to me as her Finance/Husband and this drastically changed the perspective/critical view/assumptions.

Do you mind speaking on this a bit and maybe other cultural differences Westerners should be mindful of when relocating to SK?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@hyobii 8yr

Korean people can be conservative when it comes cohabitation. Of course there are numerous unmarried couples who live together, but itโ€™s hard for most of them to make it public. Especially to their parents and at work.

The underlying notion of this dates back to Joseon Dynasty where the ruling principle was Confucianism. One of the ethical ideas of Confucianism is a strict segregation of men and women. More specifically speaking โ€œA boy and a girl should not sit together after they have reached the age of sevenโ€. The Joseon Dynasty perished about a century ago and sadly we are not free from these out-of-date ideas up until now.

So in Korea, living with your girlfriend/boyfriend could be seen as an indecent behavior by the majority of people. Teachers are required even higher behavioral standards as kids will learn from them. I understand your frustration, and Iโ€™m totally against these ridiculous social norms in Korea, but unfortunately itโ€™s something your girlfriend shouldโ€™ve kept from the school.

As well as cohabitation, Koreans are not very open-minded towards gay marriage, single moms, Africans or immigrants from developing countries.

And If I can point out one thing out of many other cultural differences you might face in Korea, itโ€™s age. Koreans are very sensitive to age. Itโ€™s like if they are older than others, they act like the younger are at their disposal. On the contrary, if they are younger then they will use honorifics and be courteous and respectful of the older. Itโ€™s different from respecting โ€˜the elderโ€™. It happens in all age groups. Another side effect of Confucianism I guess.

One last practical tip. Download KakaoTalk. WhatsApp, Line, or FB messenger will be useless in Korea. If you have more questions, find โ€˜hyobaโ€™ on KakaoTalk.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do I set current location? I've looked everywhere for this option.

by @yousifyalda 4yr 4 years ago  | 5 comments

All I see is section to add trips, but I reside here. Home and all.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What age did you start out and went location independent?

by @raynesio 4yr 4 years ago  | 11 comments

Eager to find out what age most start out as a DN? (Me)โ€ฆ 27 and just started out in the last 6 months or so. Not presently 100% location independent, probably more like 90% as still required to visit the office from time to time

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you have a system for how you plan your next location?

by @mitch_dina 5yr 5 years ago  | 3 comments

It seems to be taking me days to plan my next trip. Its so complicated and seems to be a domino affect. Example: Iโ€™m in Dubrovnik and want to go to Bari, Italy next because it is close, and I can get there by ferry, (so not using so much carbon,) but the ferry only starts running in April and 90-day visa is up on March 15, so I need to move on. Cheapest flight out is to Rome, but Rome can be pricey and Iโ€™m more of a small town person, so I go looking for beautiful small towns in Italy, a BIG research project. Then how to get there?.. oy! I need a system, please!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What you think about salary based on the location of where the employee lives?

by @augustomna2010 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

I see that some companies do this, they pay the remote worker based on where he lives, I would like to know what do you think about this?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage your location independent business as a Nomad Entrepreneur?

by @vzablocky 6yr 6 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™d like to invite nomad entrepreneurs in this topic to discuss what are the challenges you face in filing taxes, insurance and banking complications, while travelling and running your business remotely.

Please share your thoughts! I would be happy to help!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any good coworking + surfing locations?

by @mike2381 6yr 6 years ago  | 31 comments

Anyone been to some nice spots for surfing that have fast internet and coworking offices in SEA?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Moving to Thailand for 6-9 months in August. Bangkok or somewhere else?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @andrea3018 7yr 7 years ago  | 14 comments

Hello Nomads,
I would like to move in Thailand for 6-9 months starting from August.
Iโ€™ll definetely stay in Chiang Mai as base for most of the time but Iโ€™d like to do the first month (August) in Bangkok or somewhere else.
What place would you recommend to visit first?
Would Bangkok be a good place to be during August?
I was also checking at the east coast isles but I got a little frightened out by the moonsoon idea but still, it would be cool to go to beaches and have some sun during that month :slight_smile: .
Would the moonsoons or the rain really be a problem?
Iโ€™ll move to Chiang Mai from september anyway but I would just like to start somewhere else since I have to wait for my girlfriend to come during september.

Thank you in advance for your advices,
Sorry for the bad english,
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which residence/company location is beneficial for an Italian freelancer

by @saschamayr 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

I am an Italian citizen currently living in Italy. I am starting to work as a freelancer and want to open a company in order to invoice the client.
Besides that, I also want to move my main residence away from Italy for multiple reasons.
In which countries should I place my company and/or residence so that the combination of both would be beneficial for me (cost and taxwise)?
Goal would be to rent an apartment and actually move (preferably in Europe), and from there travel as a digital nomad.
Has anyone been in a similar situation or knows an answer to this?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Advices about tax, location for incorporation, etc

by @anadesigner 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi nomads,

I and my husband are graphic designers and we work from home mainly doing services for UK. We have personal bank account in UK as we lived there for a while and we use it to receive payments and then use transferwise, but we are worried because we have no company there to declare these payments.

We are at the moment in Malta but moving to Portugal soon and we really would like to make the things right to avoid problems but also we need avoid pay lots of taxโ€ฆ I am researching a lot but not sure what to do. Would be very good to have a bit of advice to what way to go, where is the best country to open an offshore business for exemple?
We earn together about 25k euro year (brut).
Any advice or tip would be very welcome.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best ways to get travel/nomad companions in different locations?

by @madelineb 7yr 7 years ago  | 24 comments

Hi,
Do nomads like to travel together? I mean, not in each otherโ€™s pockets, but look for accomodation together, meet with each other daily or regularly, help out in new cities, motivate/inspire each other in the business? :slight_smile: Iโ€™ve done nomad lifestyle in the past in 2009/2014 and this time I want to collaborate and support with other people, each on their own mission. I love this nomad endeavour but to be honest I admit it can be quite time-consuming and lonely. :wink:
*Message on NomadList locations?
*Message on Couchsurfing groups? (without sounding like Tinder!)
*Message on other??
Iโ€™m currently in Portugal and heading back to Estonia for January/February (Iโ€™m from Australia). Later in 2017 I am open to places, though Iโ€™m not keen on high pollution, high humidity, high cost cities.
Feedback, interest or ideas welcome!
Thanks, :sunny: Madeline

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads who practice Krav Maga in spite of constantly changing locations?

by @petar_np 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

When I think about nomadic life style I often think of one disadvantage, not being able to continue to practice Krav Maga as I do now. How do you keep up with training and progress if you are constantly moving?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Relocation to country

by @nomadtimne 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Hello,
I currently live in a EU country,to relocate somewhere where I can

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where can I find tech community in Seoul?

in Seoul , South Korea by @gonchs 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

What are some of the places in Seoul, South Korea where I can meet people who work in tech/startups?

Which events, cafes, free workspaces, etc should I look at?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any experiencie airmailing your stuff to yourself when moving from one place to another?

by @chelocoach 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi there!

Iโ€™m going Nomad in about 3 months. Mainly Iโ€™ll stay in some places for at least 1 month, but Iโ€™m planning some backpacking trips in between movings. So Iโ€™m planning to travel carry-on only on this trips. But I also would like to carry with me some non-indispensable stuff that helps me to keep up with my lifestyle and work on the places where Iโ€™ll stay for a longer period. For example a blender, coffee and an Aeropress to prepare my bulleproof coffee. Also my guitar, some camera gear, a good quality screen to work, etcโ€ฆ

Except for the guitar, everything fits into a medium size luggage.

I know I can check in this stuff when moving. But if Iโ€™m going to backpack I donโ€™t want to carry this stuff around.

• Is airmailing this stuff to myself a good option?
  • Any experience on this?

Iโ€™m a newby on this lifestyle so any advice is welcome :slight_smile: . Many thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place to stay for a couple of month in Chile?

in Chile by @borowiis 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi! I need some advice on where to stay in Chile for a couple of months coming winter (summer in South America)

My personal criteria are:

• nature close by : ocean/mountains (or better both) for weekend getaways
  • walkable : nice stroll after work: parks, waterfronts etc. will do
  • internet: I can live with 1Mbps up/down and latency around 100ms so even not-too-atrocious mobile 3g will do : )
  • transportation: easy to get to other interesting places (I understand that the easiest place is Santiago, but well, seems like it fails other categories :slight_smile:)
  • something for kids: we can do with one playground in town, but life is difficult without any other kids
  • Iโ€™m not too worried about coworking places and other digital nomads actually : ) But nice to have

I want this question to be useful to other people as well so I would appreciate any comments really. I found only one topic so far, โ€˜how was Santiago for digital nomads?โ€™. Letโ€™s give Chile more love (comments).

Thanks, Borys

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best location to incorporate an online business?

by @dmftaras 8yr 8 years ago  | 14 comments

Hey nomads,

Iโ€™m looking for the best location to incorporate my online business (offshore programming and so on).

The main requirements:

• Low cost incorporation/yearly fee
  • Preferred with no audits (or other kind of paperwork)
  • With no local office/secretary/director needed
  • With low or 0% taxes
  • Easy to get paid from US/EU
  • Easy to send payments worldwide ( I can use Transferwise/Stripe or something like that, i donโ€™t care )
  • With corporate credit/debit cards

Iโ€™m only one owner of the company (not EU/US resident).
Iโ€™ve checked jurisdictions like BVI/Belize/Nevis and iโ€™m interested in it. It would be appreciated if you could give me some kind of advice, if you have experience with one of these jurisdictions.

My budget for incorporation < $1500

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone in Tenerife? I'm moving there for at least 6 months

in Tenerife , Spain by @andrea3018 8yr 8 years ago  | 9 comments

Hello Nomads,
is anyone in Tenerife at the moment? Iโ€™m moving there from the 1st of August and not getting out of it for at least 6 months.
Iโ€™m going to stay in Puerto De La Cruz.
Do any of you has ever been there and do you recommend this city to me? Or should I look for an apartment elsewhere in Tenerife?
Also, how do you find cheap long-term houses there? I would love one with a private pool.

Thanks,
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Moving to Florida for tax reasons: DMV question

by @ileitch 8yr 8 years ago  | 15 comments

Hey all, this is a bit of Hail Marry, hopefully someone knows the answer!

So Iโ€™m โ€œmovingโ€ to Florida from CA because FL has no income tax. Iโ€™m using one those websites that provide a physical address and scan all your mail for you. For CA to be satisfied from a Tax perspective that I am in fact a resident of FL, I need to transfer my driverโ€™s license.

The downside is that my new address is out in the middle of nowhere, and Iโ€™d really rather not have to visit the county unless absolutely necessary.

So, does anyone know if itโ€™s necessary to transfer my license at a DMV in the same county as my new address, or can I do it from any county in FL?

Oh the joys of being a nomadโ€ฆ :grin:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Advice on remote working, taxes & moving to another country

by @magalhini 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi there!

I realise this isnโ€™t the right way of asking for legal advice, but Iโ€™d appreciate some initial loose pointers on where to go and what to do.

Iโ€™m currently working for a company which is UK-based (full-time contract), where Iโ€™m paying my taxes, own bank accounts, and so on. However, being a remote worker, Iโ€™ve been working from Berlin this year and for personal reasons, I really donโ€™t want to move back to the UK.

So, being aware that I would need to spend at least 90 days in the UK if I want to continue to legally work, what are my options to avoid this entirely?

• Should I register as freelancer in Germany and have my company employ me as a freelancer? Would this exempt me from the 90 days rule? If so, what would happen to my pension scheme in the UK?

• Should, if itโ€™s possible at all, still be employed by this company (non-freelance) but pay my taxes in Germany instead of the UK? Again, is this wise and would it exempt me from the 90 days in the UK rule? (the company has no German affiliate)

Funny enough, I canโ€™t find an available accountant in Berlin to ask all of these questions, hence why Iโ€™m hoping some of you wise folks would point me in some direction :slight_smile:

Thank you!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomad freelancers moving from Elance to Upwork?

by @eduardocruz 8yr 8 years ago  | 13 comments

I didnโ€™t become a nomad, but I joined Nomad Forum to understand more about it. I have been freelancing remotely thru Elance for the last two years so I would like to know if there are other who have been impacted by their merge with Odesk and migration to Upwork.com. Just curious to hear more about it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
537ms