Which shots and visas do I need to visit Thailand?

I’m wanting to travel to Thailand in February and I’m a little overwhelmed with travel arraignments (I have only left the US once) and what I’m going to do once I’m there.

So far I’m wanting to be in Thailand for a month. It looks like I’m going to need shots: Hepatitis A and B and typhoid. I can take care of that no worries.

I was looking into the Visa requirements, it looks like I can just arrive in Thailand and get a 30-day tourist visa?

As for housing I was thinking AirBnb. My goal while in Thailand is to work primarily. I have a project I need to wrap up and I’d like to do that in Thailand without a lot of distractions.

Now I’ve joined NomadList because it seems I can join up with others to Thailand? Looking at nomadtrips I have no idea how it works… but that seems to be the place to link up with others? Or maybe I’m wrong. I’m looking at: https://nomadtrips.co/chiang-mai-thailand

What’s the best way to communicate with this group about meet ups, etc?

1 Like

Welcome! If you decide to come to Chiang Mai, be aware that air quality is an issue here during February. Burning season starts during that time and the city gets all smoggy. Some people don’t mind, but for some is a big drawback for staying here as it is very unhealthy to spend a lot of time outdoors.
Chiang Mai is indeed a great place to meet other nomads, you can join #nomads on Slack, or join facebook groups like Chiang Mai Digital Nomads to find out about meetups. But then again, during burning season a lot of people leave the city.
Regarding housing, it will depend where you go, but AirBnB is usually expensive in Thailand. Chiang Mai has a lot of accommodation options with monthly rentals and you won’t have any trouble finding a place in one or two days of looking around (it will save you a lot of money). Alternatively, you can check this blogpost http://blog.chrisgrabinski.com/2015/04/26/monthly-apartment-rentals-in-chiang-mai/

You can also consider Bangkok (I personally don’t like it there because I don’t like big cities) or any of the islands in the south, where burning season is not a problem (neither it is in Bangkok), like Ko Lanta and Ko Samui (two of the most popular for nomads).

I’m heading to Thailand for a month soon and ended up getting a place through Airbnb. I looked at other options and found places wanted me to email them my credit card number, which I wasn’t comfortable with and/or had a lot of extras on top of the monthly rate.

Bangkok is a fantastic city and there are tons of cheap options on Airbnb. It’s also the major hub for expats and nomads in Thailand and south east Asia.

As voskovek said, Chiang Mai is a very bad idea in February because of the burning season. Some people say it’s not that bad but Chiang Mai has the second highest rate of lung cancer in the world so as far as I’m concerned it is bad. Bangkok has better air quality year-round (no kidding). It’s a shame because apart from the air quality, Chiang Mai is a very enjoyable city.

The islands in the south are very nice too although the vibe is quite different and the infrastructure definitely not as good.

As for ways to connect with other nomads, check out the channels on #nomads, the facebook groups and the meetups.com groups.

1 Like

I stayed in Bangkok for three months in 2015 and had a lot of fun. I arranged all my housing through AirBNB which worked out great. Maybe not the cheapest of the cheapest, but definitely cheaper than what you pay in a major US city (I live in Seattle and pay $1600/month). I paid between $650 - $750 per month in Bangkok for new apartments with one bedroom, one bathroom, washer, dryer, balcony, gym, infinity pool on the top floor etc. These places were often larger and had more amenities than what I have in Seattle. I personally like what Bangkok has to offer. Lots of cool places to go, lots of interesting people. I decided not to stay in Chiang Mai because I didn’t want to be among nomads all the time. But don’t get me wrong, Chiang Mai is a fun place to hang around, you should definitely visit it and if you’re on a budget it may be a better place for you. As for shots, I didn’t take any shots and I personally think it’s not necessary if you stay in Bangkok.

As for Visa, you can get Visa on arrival. You don’t need to arrange that before leaving. I think the max time is 30 days. After 30 days you can leave Thailand and return for another 30 days. During my 3 month stay in Bangkok I went 10 days to Hong Kong and 10 days to Singapore. I had a small issue at departure, because I couldn’t prove I was going to leave Thailand within 30 days. They told me I had to buy a ticket leaving Thailand, which I did on my smartphone (I showed them the final order screen, but never actually confirmed the order).

Hey KingBrend! Nomad Trips is pretty new and still in beta so it might not be so intuitive yet.
Best thing is to go activate your profile first by clicking Log In at https://nomadtrips.co (you’ll need a Twitter account for now). Then add a trip in February and write which cities in Thailand you’ll be. You’ll then be able to see other people there at the same date as you.

We also regularly organize meetups, and there’s usually ones in Chiang Mai and Bangkok.

Also on https://hashtagnomads.com we also have a #thailand and #bangkok channel etc. where you can chat to people.

It’s all a bit disjointed now but I’m working on making it more unified :slight_smile:

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pai or Koh Samui are good spots. Internet is reliable. Power outages are rare. I’d go for Hepatitis and Rabies pre-exposure, but it’s up to you if you’d go for the JE, Typhoid and Malaria shots. I personally think they’re not needed, but if it can give you total peace of mind then go for it. As with visas, yes you can arrive a 30-day visa upon arrival via flight. The visa extension is easy to get.