Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,883) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which USA towns to experience rural South?

by @srg_b 7yr  | 3 comments

Iโ€™m going on a rock festival to Louisiana in October. From there Iโ€™d like to visit maybe 3 places and be gone by new year. What Iโ€™m looking for are dreamy rural towns ~50k in size that havenโ€™t changed much and will allow me to briefly experience how it is living in the South/SE USA. Another thing is since Iโ€™m coming in Fall, what will the weather be? Where Iโ€™m coming from, November is all rain, clouds, winds and 10 degrees (so the crappiest weather possible). Are my filters yielding any results? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Mississippi will have the best, old architecture. Everywhere else got destroyed in the war of northern aggression :wink:

+1 for Oxford, MS in the Fall. Great parties, fun times, football and beautiful women.

There are some old, Spanish mansions built by the Conquistadors still scattered around the Mississippi countryside. Theyโ€™re a trip to see.

New Orleans is fantastic but not sleepy at all.

In the Fall, the weather can be nice โ€“ crisp, cool air but with sunshine. Could also be tornados. Tough to say.

Memphis is fun, but crime and violence is a very big and very real problem. Some hipster neighborhoods are fine like Cooper Young and Mid Town, but caveat emptor.

Also, Gatlinburg, TN is beautiful in the Fall โ€“ leaves changing, mountain scenery, black bears and pancakes. Will be a bit touristy, but thereโ€™s a reason everyone wants to visit it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nthnjns 7yr

Natchez, MS - one of the wealthiest cities in the US during slavery, big architectural legacy
Oxford, MS - great food, stay for the insane parties for the college football team in the fall
Clarksdale/Greenwood, MS - home of the blues and juke joints, also the โ€˜crossroadsโ€™ where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil for guitar skillz
Larger: Charleston, SC; Savannah, GA; Memphis, TN: Charleston for the food and yuppie rehabilitation, Memphis for the blues and the food; Savannah for the stately mansions and Spanish moss

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m really digging Nathanโ€™s Mississippi suggestions. Iโ€™m from Georgia, so Iโ€™ll throw in my thoughts. Rome, Georgia gets you in the Appalachian foothills and you could pop up into Chattanooga, Tennessee. Savannah, GA is great suggestion. If you get down to that area, I would tour around the Golden Islandsโ€ฆperhaps St. Simons and Sapelo Island. Sapelo is know for the Gullah/Geechee culture. Iโ€™m wanting to check out Fair Hope, Alabama, myself, here soon.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are some nice French beach towns?

in France by @amin 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

I'm thinking to head over to France during the winter and I'm looking for recommendations on a good French town that has beach and is warm enough during the winter.

What are your favourites? Any recommendation is appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How's the internet in Oaxaca towns?

in Oaxaca , Mexico by @azurio 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi guys!

If youโ€™ve been to Puerto Escondido, Mazunte, Zipolite, etc, please share your experience with the internet there.

• What speeds did you get up/down? Where?

• How solid and consistent was the connection?

• How common are blackouts and loss of power?

• Any other tips, favorite places to work, etc?

Which towns have decent internet?

• Puerto Escondido
  • Mazunte
  • Zipolite

0 voters

Thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are wise ways to handle health insurance, as a USA person

by @azurio 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi! Iโ€™m still struggling to figure out how to handle health insurance.

What handy guides have you found to help figure out USA health care?

Iโ€™m struggling with:

• When itโ€™s okay/wise to go without coverage while abroad, these days.
  • What other type of insurance I want while traveling, and whether it needs to be a supplement to USA insurance or if it can be a replacement.
  • Etc.

Above all, I think I want out. I wonder about success stories in moving to some other system/location, and the method youโ€™d recommend: additional citizenship, a special visa, etc.

I have searched this topic and struggled with it, so summaries and clarity are super helpful. I appreciate any and all help with this. Thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best beach towns in Southern Italy?

in Italy by @mitch_dina 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Looking to spend a month or so (March/April of โ€˜19) in a beach town(s) in Southern Italy, anybody have good experience down there?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anyone from EU bought tickets at Ticketmaster.com and Fandango.com for USA

by @gmisjura1 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

Hey everyone,

I got into situation when nothing really helped me, and now searching for alternatives.

Two web site where I was trying to buy tickets for Tribeca film festival and just cinema do not let me to buy tickets and the websites are quite big -

Ticketmaster.com
Fandango.com

My question is , does anyone know alternative where I could buy tickets for example Madisson Square show and AMC Cinema screening. Eventbite worked fine for example with European card.

Best,

Georgius.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best European Ski Towns?

by @matthewhallcom 6yr 6 years ago  | 9 comments

Looking to spend around 6 weeks somewhere in Europe this winter skiing and working. Donโ€™t need a big tech community but care more about it being affordable and having at least half decent skiing.

So far I have heard good things about Les Deux Alpes, France and Bansko, Bulgaria.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Quaint small towns/villages in Italy and/or France

in Italy by @theunisk 6yr 6 years ago  | 13 comments

Any recommendations for a few weeks stay in a small, quiet town or village somewhere in Italy/France during summer ? Open to any setting, by the seaside, in the mountains or the countryside - Iโ€™d like to get a feel for local life (outside the cities) in a charming place.
Having hiking routes available nearby would be a bonus, but not required.
Internet speed will not be very important, so that does not need to be taken into consideration.
Iโ€™ll likely be doing both Italy and France, so suggestions for both would be great.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Favorite towns in Mexico (and near it)?

in Mexico by @azurio 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Hey guys!

We love Mexico. Weโ€™re excited to find outstanding towns to live in for 2-12 months at a time. Weโ€™re also open to Central American gems.

We especially appreciate learning about those smaller towns that are lesser known but amazing. Personal favorites!

Here are some of our interests:

• a paradise vibe: ocean, lush greenery, vibrant arts, and/or old town charm
  • at least 3 Mbps download speed
  • great cost of living
  • considerable expat and retiree crowd
  • not too much of an urban city โ€” though a smaller town outside a city can work
  • a bit touristy is okay

Here are lesser-discussed towns that caught our eye โ€” weโ€™d love impressions of these and more that come to mind:

• Huatulco
  • Ixtapa
  • Guanajuato
  • And more?

Thanks so much, guys!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How can I monitor my data usage when I have limited amounts of mobile data?

by @littleshiva 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

I use a mobile internet stick that gives me 1 gigabyte of bandwidth in a 24-hour period. If I use it all up in half that time (easy with print jobs) I have to either wait it out or use another stick. What are some of the things I can do to keep bandwidth from being used without my knowledge? (macbook pro / Yosemite) I looked in the activity monitor and safari seemed to be using a lot so I keep it off now when Iโ€™m not using it, and I paused synching on dropbox and creative cloud until Iโ€™m hooked up to wifi. Any other tricks?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Leaving USA, anyone have experience with "closer connection" test?

by @gizmocaca 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi,
Iโ€™m leaving the USA this year to embark on a nomad lifestyle, I intend to spend less than 30 days in the USA and certainly less than 180 days. If I am over 30-days, is it easy to prove I have a โ€œcloser connectionโ€ to another country i.e. Form 8840? Retirement visa to another country / property ownership sufficient ? I am British but donโ€™t want to be tax resident for UK or USA in 2017. Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Villages-rural destinations in Europe, for slow nomadism?

by @magalhini 7yr 7 years ago  | 28 comments

Hi fellow nomads!

Iโ€™m currently on a quest to find some places for temporary living on a quiet, ideally green and mountainy village, somewhere in Europe, since I feel l could use a break from the busy lifestyles of Berlin and London.

Trouble is, everyone always goes for the big citiesโ€ฆ finding villages with decent access (not requiring endless hours of driving from an airport) is proving to be tough so far :confused:

Some options are some inner, rural places in Romania and Slovakia, but I would love to hear what suggestions you come up with! Maybe somewhere in your home country that you know itโ€™s a gem to decompress around nature ?

I would love to hear your thoughts :smile:
A cheer for slow living! :camel:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are good ski towns for digital nomads?

by @andrewdblevins 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

It looks like most people on here tend to go to the more tropical locations, has anyone done the opposite? Any digital nomad ski-bums out there? I would love to hear your stories.

Where are the good Ski-towns, with slopes, powder, cheap living and good wifi? About how much will it cost? What is the best way to get short term housing in a ski-town during ski season?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Living in CZ but working for USA

by @tygrysk0landia 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

I currently live in California, and work remotely for a company in Philly. I am considering moving to CZ but keep my job here, get paid here, and pay taxes here. I am dual citizen of USA and Poland (EU member), so I know that residency wonโ€™t be a problem, but I am interested in paying taxes. If my company keeps paying me to my account in USA, and taxes in California, do I have to pay taxes is CZ as well? This company doesnโ€™t have a post in CZ.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place in South East Asia to get something shipped from USA?

by @tylertringas 8yr 8 years ago  | 10 comments

I want to buy a new backpack and get it shipped from the US. Iโ€™m currently in Ubud and generally in Southeast Asia for the next few months. Whatโ€™s the most reliable place to get a product shipped to?

I know Hubud will let you receive packages but Iโ€™m a little too nervous about customs grabbing it or it taking forever and arriving after Iโ€™m gone (here for 1 month). The shipping cost to me is free and Iโ€™m happy to pay a reasonable fee to customs or whatever to get it reliably delivered. Any specific tips for Bali? Anybody successfully done this?

Places like Singapore and Hong Kong are a bit later in the schedule, wondering if those are generally more reliable places for this kind of thing and worth it to just wait until then.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there towns similar to Boulder or Portland in Europe?

in Portland , United States by @j0hnlucas 8yr 8 years ago  | 17 comments

Small towns with:

1. beautiful nature (mountains or sea)
  2. progressive (clean energy, digital, social justice, etc)
  3. laid back attitude
  4. affordable
  5. good startup community
    It seems to me that if 2 and 5 then itโ€™s hard to have 1 and 3. e.g. Berlin for startups is too big, not great nature, a bit too cold. Am I asking too much? :smile:
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is San Jose del Cabo for nomads? Other good beach towns in Mexico?

in San Jose , United States by @jammingsloth 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

Looking towards next winter. Have my eyes on Mexico, looking to be by the beach. Has anyone ever spent time in San Jose del Cabo?

Looking for fast-ish internet, and a good art scene. Not looking for spring-break party destination, but touristy is fine (kind of goes along with the art scene). Any recommendations?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the more laidback towns in Japan?

in Japan by @cpury 8yr 8 years ago  | 10 comments

Hi nomads!

I really like Japan and would love to spend more time there (I know itโ€™s expensive!), but I generally dislike the stereotypical Asian city (aka soulless concrete jungles).

To define what I consider โ€œcoolโ€, I really like those young, laid-back, green and open places, where you can bike around and sit outside and meet people, even better with mountains, forests or beaches in range.

I havenโ€™t been to Tokyo (I just supposed it would be too big to fit my expectations), but there might be some good areas there. So far Matsuyama was the closest I found to a โ€œcoolโ€ place in Japan. Iโ€™ve met loads of laid-back โ€œanti-cultureโ€ people and even hardcore hippies from Japan, so Iโ€™m sure they must gather somewhere :smile:

Anyone has some hints where to find a place like this? Or a recommendation of a nice area in one of the big cities?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best mobile carrier for a foreigner in USA?

by @wcitizen 9yr 9 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi DN community! Iโ€™m going to spend 4 month in US and wondering if somebody can recommend me cheap, but reliable=), mobile operator. Requirements:

• simcard should be suitable for my unlocked iPhone
  • minor usage of texting and callings
  • minor usage of internet data, but with 4G support
    Hope this makes sense. Happy to add more specific info, if needed.

Cheers!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to stay in the USA for 6 months? Vegas, California? Something else?

in Cali , Colombia by @yesmad 9yr 9 years ago  | 21 comments

My girlfriend and I are Canadian nomads looking to spend 6 months (ideally) in the US this winter. Weโ€™re trying to figure out the best place to do so! The goal is to live somewhere nice and build up more savings and income.

Since weโ€™re in Montreal and sick of the brutal winters, we want somewhere warm. And since weโ€™re nomading, weโ€™re looking to stay as cheap as possible, but also comfortable. Weโ€™d like to do a short-term (furnished) rental as opposed to a hotel or room rental since weโ€™re a couple.

We also want to live somewhere nice enough, not in a dangerous area or anything like that. We like parks, shopping, farmerโ€™s markets, etc. Not too big on night life.

Ideally, weโ€™d like somewhere in California, but Iโ€™m not sure how realistic that is for our budget ($1500/month rent at the max).

As of now weโ€™ve also looked at Las Vegas, which seems on the more affordable end of the spectrum. Austin was also on our radar, but again, not sure how realistic that is for our budget.

The biggest problem we have is actually finding available rentals online! We need something furnished! Doing anything through Craigslist online is out, and I know most people will suggest AirBNB, but it seems rather inflated in price. Other than that, there seems to be only private websites that are just as difficult (or untrustworthy looking) as Craigslist.

Can anyone point us in the right direction? Where would you guys suggest in our situation? Anyone from Vegas/California/Austin that could point us in the right direction for furnished short-term housing?

This seems like a really great community! I hope someone out there can help us out! :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What visa do I need to work as a freelancer in the USA?

by @tuliptraveler 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

I am a UK graphic designer and would love to spend anywhere between 3 months to 6 months in America traveling and freelancing at the same time. I have looked into visas but unsure whether I need a working visa or if I can get away with the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)? Also, if I do some design work for a local business, would this be allowed?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
474ms