Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (647K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=6,011) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Wich is the better international SIM card for data only service?

by @chelocoach 8yr  | 14 comments

Hi there!

Iโ€™m looking for international sim card services. I looked for other posts, and I know there are other alternatives, but Iโ€™m interested to have an international sim-card with only data plan, just to be used while I get a local one.

Alternatives:

ยฟAny experience using any of these services?
thnx!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Good stuff! I get a local one as well but I like to have a working phone right away until I can get to a kiosk. Theyโ€™re not always in the airport. Iโ€™ve had issues with airport WiFi not working and trying to get in touch with airbnb/Uber/taxi etc.

Figure a prepaid global sim as a backup would be a valid expense for me and give me some peace of mind between local sims or if Iโ€™m just going somewhere on a side trip for a week or two.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@gizmocaca 7yr

Been using T-Mobile sim from USA (approx $60 per month). It works reasonably well for very light data in numerous countries globally (WhatsApp/Viber/Email, etc). However, as itโ€™s 2G speed, itโ€™s really slow for anything data heavy (like google maps and general surfing). In my view not really worth it. Far better to buy local SIM cards.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve been traveling in Europe, Africa, and Asia for the last six months and Iโ€™m solely relying on local SIM cards. I have developed this routine of landing, immigration, picking up luggage, getting cash, and buying local SIM cards. I have yet to find a country, where I didnโ€™t leave the airport with a working mobile data connection.

Two minor issues with this approach, which have been non-issues for me so far:

1. Yes, itโ€™s possible to find better deals for local SIM cards outside the airport. Iโ€™ve only been staying for <2 weeks in most places and talking to the sales reps often yields a better option with a smaller price tag and less data or no talking time (which I donโ€™t need). Often thereโ€™s also promotions going on which give you a few GB of extra data.

2. Changing your phone number in every country might be an issue. Itโ€™s not for me, Iโ€™m using messaging services that are based on my email instead, and do calls over Skype. Few companies like banks are a little harder to deal with sometimes, but so far everything was manageable.

Iโ€™d love to get rid of the hassle to find the local SIM cards in the airport on arrival and just have one worldwide SIM, but so far a little hassle on arrival is totally worth it for me, because local SIM cards are still an order of magnitude cheaper than international services.

Iโ€™m even traveling with a separate local hotspot device (Kickstarter project I backed before I started traveling). It provides worldwide data service and I charged it with $20 as a backup, if I canโ€™t find a local SIM quickly enough. Up until today, I havenโ€™t used it once.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I use local SIM cards like stefanlesser and usually pay $10-20 per month for a local SIM. I rarely use more than 1G of data in a month, because I usually have wifi at my lodging and work from there.

I have a Skype phone number that I pay $5 a month for. It wonโ€™t accept texts, but I needed a stable phone number to connect my free Google Voice account to. Thatโ€™s the number I use for texting and voice calls, so I have one phone number even though Iโ€™m always changing out my SIM card.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I do the same but I also have an old Android I travel with just for text messages, which I pretty much just need for SMS to access my bank back home.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

By far the best I have found for my needs is Keepgo.com

It is $59USD for the sim and 1GB. Then 99USD for 3GB.

Roaming in 64 countries and growing. I have used them for about 6 months now and mainly use them for when I get off a plane to accomodation, stopovers, when I am ducking in and out of a country for a few days (ie not worth buying a local sim). I move a heap and have used 750mb in that time. I am actually sure I have used more than that but the system just seems fair and you donโ€™t get these massive data shocks.

Anyway that is my 2 cents worth and cleary I am not using it for day to day work (ftp transfers/syncing large files) etc. More for emails, navigation, app downloads occasionally, and voice calls (Skype, WhatsApp, viber softphones).

Has an app to reload/manage data too.

Do your own research on it but If you are thinking of buying please use the link below which is a referral link. U get 15% off and I get some data.

To make it 100% clear this post is not to sway you to use my referral link and โ€˜all about meโ€™. Keepgo is just an awesome service and if you are going to buy it, why not benefit someone in the community and get a discount yourself

http://keepgo.refr.cc/27F2QQ4

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

If youโ€™re a permanent Nomad, and want more of a global and local presence, check out Truphone.comโ€™s post paid plan. They also have a more expensive pre-paid plan.

The benefits are telephone numbers in 8 countries (USA, UK, Australia, Germany, Spain, Poland, Hong Kong, Netherlands) so if youโ€™re calling/texting any of those or receiving calls or texts the number presented or called/texted is a local number.
LTE/4G now globally available. In USA they are on both AT&T and T-Mobile.
The less obvious benefit is how they operate their network. Basically, the media part of the call or data session hits their network as close to you as possible. This removes latency and delays, vs,. traditional roaming.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@syneryder 8yr

A few options Iโ€™ve used, but Iโ€™m not sure if theyโ€™re available to non-Australians. Prices are in AUD, theyโ€™ll be less in USD:

One catch if you wanted to use Woolworths / MaxRoam for calls - they have a weird โ€œcallbackโ€ system, where you ring out, it hangs up on you, then calls you back to complete the call. Pretty awful user experience. But if you just want data, that wonโ€™t affect you.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hola Chelo,
the ones you mentioned are a nice idea, but quite expensive (around 50 USD per GB) for the moment.

What I found the best option for the moment is to have a Prepaid SIM from three.co.uk as you can use the datapackage in around 42 countries for free ( http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations?#countries1 ).

I have an 12GB add-on for 20 GBP and works well since many month roaming the above mentioned 42 countries ( http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_as_you_go/Phone_tariffs ).

Give it a try.

Best,
Alex

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@highstakesplayer

What I found the best option for the moment is to have a Prepaid SIM from three.co.uk as you can use the datapackage in around 42 countries for free ( http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations?#countries1 ).

I have an 12GB add-on for 20 GBP and works well since many month roaming the above mentioned 42 countries ( http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_as_you_go/Phone_tariffs ).

Thanks Alex, after reading all the replies in this thread this is easily the best option, and comparable to a local SIM :slight_smile:

Can I confirm you simply pay the 20 GBP per month for 12GB? ie that is your total cost per month?
Also did you purchase this and get it sent outside the UK or do you need to be in the UK to set it up?
And you simply top up inside itโ€™s app?

Unlimited data worldwide for 35 GBP per monthโ€ฆ
This is an awesome share!
Cheers! :smiley:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@seifip 5yr

Yes, Three is by far the best option.

You need to go to the UK to set it up, but donโ€™t have to be a resident.

Iโ€™m currently paying 15GBP for 20Gb of data + unlimited Netflix/SoundCloud/Deezer/Apple Music after asking them for a discount one year into the contract.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@zsoltee 8yr

Iโ€™m considering onesimcard, but no experience yet: http://www.onesimcard.com
Imho Google Fi is the most amazing offer but itโ€™s too restricted now.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Have you checked Tmobile or Google Fi?

• I donโ€™t have any experience with any of the services you listed, but do use both TMob and GFi and these are incredible. (cheap + reliable)

** Both might be only relevant for someone from the USA.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Yes. those look cool, but Iโ€™m not from de US.

Thnx for the advice

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best SIM card you can get for traveling to Spain?

in Spain by @gabygarreau 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi! I want to relocate to Spain and I was wondering if someone can recommend a SIM card with a good data package.

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does international health insurance for digital nomads exist?

by @al_steffen 4yr 4 years ago  | 59 comments

Hey Nomads!

Iโ€™m looking for an international health insurance (no travel insurance) for my nomadic life. It should cover the basic services and at least be accepted in the EU (itโ€™s ok if itโ€™s not accepted in the US as Iโ€™m aware they rarely are). Nice to have: enter into a contract online. Anyone got a good experience or a recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you invest internationally as a nomad?

by @mateuszwieloch 4yr 4 years ago  | 17 comments

I have finally saved enough money to start investing. What company gives good, diversified access to stock, ETFs and mutual funds? Does it make sense to use company like Vanguard or Fidelity for that? Iโ€™m a EU/Poland citizen, how would I transfer my money back and forth without incurring significant fees?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

SIM to use in Eastern Europe

by @itinerantdev 5yr 5 years ago  | 6 comments

Over the next few weeks Iโ€™m visiting:

• Prague 4 days
  • Bratislava 12 days
  • Berlin 7 days
  • Budapest 60 days

I am British and was assuming I would use my giff gaff sim as that has free EU roaming.

But I have been in Mexico for six weeks and giff gaff emailed and said if I didnโ€™t use my sim in the UK soon they would start charging their normal expensive roaming rates.

Soโ€ฆ Can anyone recommend a pre-pay data only sim/package I can use in all of these countries? Ideally which I can pick up in Prague?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best mobile-data option in New Zealand for nomads?

in New Zealand by @goldsaj 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi All! Iโ€™ve heard Spark and Vodafone are the best. I plan to move around, so I care mostly about having good coverage, and all Iโ€™ll need is around 1 GB of data or so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best SIM card for Romania?

in Romania by @rmeskill 5yr 5 years ago  | 6 comments

I live in Budapest but have started traveling around a lot through Central/Eastern Europe as a nomad, but I need a local SIM to work-does anyone have any suggestions/advice for the best SIM for Romania? Preferably with lots of data and the option to tether?

Admin note: post edited to confirm with community guidelines.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How much Data are you using per month?

by @jdiefenthaler 6yr 6 years ago  | 4 comments

I am trying to figure out three things. An average of how much data everyone uses per month, a low end of how little data is used, and a high end of how much data can be used? I am not interested in your methods of acquiring data. I am just interested in how much you use as a whole. This includes both work data usage and your personal data usage.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Whatโ€™s a good European call & SMS forwarding service?

by @adrienbetweets 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi all

What do you guys use for receiving both sms & calls on a European phone number?

Iโ€™d like to have a phone number that does not change for at least 1 or 2 years.

I did my homework & found this thread but itโ€™s only about US services so I donโ€™t think itโ€™s relevant: Whatโ€™s a good US call and SMS forwarding service?
Also, I looked into Google Hangout but it doesnโ€™t support European phone numbers.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's a good US call and SMS forwarding service?

by @vong 6yr 6 years ago  | 12 comments

Hi all,

What do you guys use for call and sms forwarding?

Currently I have a Skype US number that forwards to my local phone number. However, it canโ€™t receive SMSโ€™es so thatโ€™s a huge dealbreaker.

Thereโ€™s RingCentral - but that starts at $29/month which is rather pricey.

Any suggestions? Iโ€™d just like to be able to call and text like Iโ€™m still in the US (when Iโ€™m not). Thanks in advance!

Sarah

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International health insurance without having a permanent residence?

by @fabyliechti 7yr 7 years ago  | 30 comments

Hey Nomads!

Iโ€™m a Swiss Citizen but full time traveler (living a few month there and there) and therefore donโ€™t have a permanent residence/home anywhere in the world.

For this reason, Iโ€™m as well not registered in Switzerland and therefore donโ€™t have medical care since I would have to pay at least 200$ monthly for medical care which I wonโ€™t use since Iโ€™m not living there.

As a in Switzerland unregistered Swiss Citizen I donโ€™t have medical care in Switzerland but, however based on Swiss Law Iโ€™m always allowed to return to Switzerland, register and then get medical coverage (f.e. in a medical emergency).

So now I was looking for both, an international health insurance with good coverage and an additional travel insurance for my trips. Unfortunately every insurance I check, I got asked for a permanent residence - which I donโ€™t have and donโ€™t want to. So I donโ€™t know what to fill out and if I still can get insurance without having a permanent residence.

I was wondering if there are any nomads here with a similar situation like me and (not registered anywhere and without a permanent residence)? If so, what health insurance, travel insurance you have and where?

PS. As well Iโ€™m not sure if it is kind of illegal not having a permanent residence anywhere plus where do I have to pay taxes?

Would be extremely grateful for any help on those matters - thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there cards similar to the APEC Business Travel Card that Europeans are eligible for?

by @dpt 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

I heard from an American friend that he has several cards similar to the APEC Business Travel Card (link to Wikipedia ) that allow him to get priority treatment at immigration line in certain countries.
I was very intrigued and quickly checked up on the card, but it seems to be only available to citizens of APEC-member nations.

I was wondering if anyone here uses such cards, what your experiences with them are (specifically, Iโ€™m interested in cards available for Europeans/Germans).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International Legal Will?

by @globaltaxfree 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Just tackling my legal will and bought a little $35 pack at my local Australian post office while Iโ€™m back in my birth country, but upon reading the first few pages itโ€™s fairly apparent this is only an Australian Legal Will.

Has anyone tackled checking out their will situation on an international level?

I need to consider things like decentralised online assets that donโ€™t exist in any particular country, any resources or experiences even just anecdotally appreciated

Cheers

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How can I monitor my data usage when I have limited amounts of mobile data?

by @littleshiva 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

I use a mobile internet stick that gives me 1 gigabyte of bandwidth in a 24-hour period. If I use it all up in half that time (easy with print jobs) I have to either wait it out or use another stick. What are some of the things I can do to keep bandwidth from being used without my knowledge? (macbook pro / Yosemite) I looked in the activity monitor and safari seemed to be using a lot so I keep it off now when Iโ€™m not using it, and I paused synching on dropbox and creative cloud until Iโ€™m hooked up to wifi. Any other tricks?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's best internet solution for travelers? SkyRoam vs Global Roaming Data plans

by @alexmarinov 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

Whatโ€™s up nomads!

What do you use to get internet for work when you travel? Iโ€™m trying to figure out the best option to get internet when Iโ€™m traveling. For now mostly in Europe and mostly for conference calls with screen sharing. Iโ€™m willing to spend $200-300 per month.

I need to:

1. tether my laptop to my data plan on my phone, or on another device (like SkyRoam which I donโ€™t have yet, but considering)
  2. have data on my phone for essentials like Google Maps when driving around.

My US carrier is Sprint Wireless. I have unlimited data, which I can enable globally at no extra charge but itโ€™s supposedly 3G, but doesnโ€™t really work. Sprint also has a plan called Sprint Global Roaming, which offers high speed internet, but itโ€™s $30 per 1GB which can add up to $500-$600 per month given my usage.

Iโ€™m not always close to WiFi or Co-Working spaces. Iโ€™m looking for a solution that would basically allow me to get on a Google Hangout or GoToMeeting call on my laptop from my car.

Any experience with gadgets like SkyRoam or similar ones from Verizon or AT&T? How good and reliable are those?

Any ideas? What do you use?

Thanks,
Alex

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best mobile-data option in Brazil for nomads?

in Brazil by @phil 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi everyone. I am new on this forum and will post in the introductory thread when I have some more time. My question is:

Whatโ€™s the best mobile-data option in Brazil for nomads?

background info to the question: I bought a vevo (vivo?) sim the other day and charged up around $7US on recharge.com. it seems now that I can only send text messages but cannot call other people or get internet. I will be in brazil for min 5 weeks max 3 months. sorry if Iโ€™ve posted this in the wrong section.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is a 4G sim device in addition to phone advisable in SE Asia?

by @anderkd 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Iโ€™m planning a visit to Chiang Mai and Bali starting in April. I have a Google Nexus which has worked flawlessly in Mexico at least. Assuming it will work just as well in CM and Bali? If I decide not to work in a coworking space, but rather Airbnb w/wifi and/or Coffee shops wifi, would a dedicated 4g sim card device be worth spening $75 USD to purchase, plus local sim, plus potential SIM hassle, or just rely on Nexus hotspot + airbnb and coffee shop Wifi?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you get a SIM card (and data plan) in Colombia if you don't know Spanish

in Colombia by @balindsieber 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

I just arrived to Medellin and did not anticipate that no one would speak any english at all. (Iโ€™m used to Asia where everyone knows the basics)

I need a SIM card, I found a place at the mall where they sell them, but itโ€™s not a simple transaction and I donโ€™t speak Spanish.

Any thoughts appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you deal with getting data on your mobile while travelling?

by @nomads_and_drifters 7yr 7 years ago  | 15 comments

Hi,
I wondered how everybody deals with getting data on their phone in each country they travel. Is there a way around it? It is always such a pain having to buy and activate sim cards everywhere. I have tried the company โ€œworldsimโ€ and had an international sim for a while, but they where terrible and ended up to be super expensive.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Whatโ€™s the best mobile-data option in Poland for nomads?

in Poland by @swynt 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi everyone! I will be heading to Poland in two weeks for around ten days. I will be in Poznan, Gdansk, Warschau and Krakau for travelling (the main purpose) and working (as freelancer). For working purpose, I need to be able to connect to internet for most of the time. So, could anyone give any advise which sim card and mobile data option should I get? It doesnโ€™t have to be cheap, but it should have good coverage area and big data plan (around 3 - 5 GB). Thanks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
592ms