Wich is the better international sim card for data only service?

Hi there!

I’m looking for international sim card services. I looked for other posts, and I know there are other alternatives, but I’m interested to have an international sim-card with only data plan, just to be used while I get a local one.

Alternatives:

¿Any experience using any of these services?
thnx!

Have you checked Tmobile or Google Fi?

• I don’t have any experience with any of the services you listed, but do use both TMob and GFi and these are incredible. (cheap + reliable)

** Both might be only relevant for someone from the USA.

Yes. those look cool, but I’m not from de US.

Thnx for the advice

I’m considering onesimcard, but no experience yet: http://www.onesimcard.com
Imho Google Fi is the most amazing offer but it’s too restricted now.

Hola Chelo,
the ones you mentioned are a nice idea, but quite expensive (around 50 USD per GB) for the moment.

What I found the best option for the moment is to have a Prepaid SIM from three.co.uk as you can use the datapackage in around 42 countries for free ( http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations?#countries1 ).

I have an 12GB add-on for 20 GBP and works well since many month roaming the above mentioned 42 countries ( http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_as_you_go/Phone_tariffs ).

Give it a try.

Best,
Alex

A few options I’ve used, but I’m not sure if they’re available to non-Australians. Prices are in AUD, they’ll be less in USD:

One catch if you wanted to use Woolworths / MaxRoam for calls - they have a weird “callback” system, where you ring out, it hangs up on you, then calls you back to complete the call. Pretty awful user experience. But if you just want data, that won’t affect you.

By far the best I have found for my needs is Keepgo.com

It is $59USD for the sim and 1GB. Then 99USD for 3GB.

Roaming in 64 countries and growing. I have used them for about 6 months now and mainly use them for when I get off a plane to accomodation, stopovers, when I am ducking in and out of a country for a few days (ie not worth buying a local sim). I move a heap and have used 750mb in that time. I am actually sure I have used more than that but the system just seems fair and you don’t get these massive data shocks.

Anyway that is my 2 cents worth and cleary I am not using it for day to day work (ftp transfers/syncing large files) etc. More for emails, navigation, app downloads occasionally, and voice calls (Skype, WhatsApp, viber softphones).

Has an app to reload/manage data too.

Do your own research on it but If you are thinking of buying please use the link below which is a referral link. U get 15% off and I get some data.

To make it 100% clear this post is not to sway you to use my referral link and ‘all about me’. Keepgo is just an awesome service and if you are going to buy it, why not benefit someone in the community and get a discount yourself

http://keepgo.refr.cc/27F2QQ4

If you’re a permanent Nomad, and want more of a global and local presence, check out Truphone.com’s post paid plan. They also have a more expensive pre-paid plan.

The benefits are telephone numbers in 8 countries (USA, UK, Australia, Germany, Spain, Poland, Hong Kong, Netherlands) so if you’re calling/texting any of those or receiving calls or texts the number presented or called/texted is a local number.
LTE/4G now globally available. In USA they are on both AT&T and T-Mobile.
The less obvious benefit is how they operate their network. Basically, the media part of the call or data session hits their network as close to you as possible. This removes latency and delays, vs,. traditional roaming.

I’ve been traveling in Europe, Africa, and Asia for the last six months and I’m solely relying on local SIM cards. I have developed this routine of landing, immigration, picking up luggage, getting cash, and buying local SIM cards. I have yet to find a country, where I didn’t leave the airport with a working mobile data connection.

Two minor issues with this approach, which have been non-issues for me so far:

1. Yes, it’s possible to find better deals for local SIM cards outside the airport. I’ve only been staying for <2 weeks in most places and talking to the sales reps often yields a better option with a smaller price tag and less data or no talking time (which I don’t need). Often there’s also promotions going on which give you a few GB of extra data.

2. Changing your phone number in every country might be an issue. It’s not for me, I’m using messaging services that are based on my email instead, and do calls over Skype. Few companies like banks are a little harder to deal with sometimes, but so far everything was manageable.

I’d love to get rid of the hassle to find the local SIM cards in the airport on arrival and just have one worldwide SIM, but so far a little hassle on arrival is totally worth it for me, because local SIM cards are still an order of magnitude cheaper than international services.

I’m even traveling with a separate local hotspot device (Kickstarter project I backed before I started traveling). It provides worldwide data service and I charged it with $20 as a backup, if I can’t find a local SIM quickly enough. Up until today, I haven’t used it once.

Been using T-Mobile sim from USA (approx $60 per month). It works reasonably well for very light data in numerous countries globally (WhatsApp/Viber/Email, etc). However, as it’s 2G speed, it’s really slow for anything data heavy (like google maps and general surfing). In my view not really worth it. Far better to buy local SIM cards.

I use local SIM cards like stefanlesser and usually pay $10-20 per month for a local SIM. I rarely use more than 1G of data in a month, because I usually have wifi at my lodging and work from there.

I have a Skype phone number that I pay $5 a month for. It won’t accept texts, but I needed a stable phone number to connect my free Google Voice account to. That’s the number I use for texting and voice calls, so I have one phone number even though I’m always changing out my SIM card.

@highstakesplayer

What I found the best option for the moment is to have a Prepaid SIM from three.co.uk as you can use the datapackage in around 42 countries for free ( http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations?#countries1 ).

I have an 12GB add-on for 20 GBP and works well since many month roaming the above mentioned 42 countries ( http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_as_you_go/Phone_tariffs ).

Thanks Alex, after reading all the replies in this thread this is easily the best option, and comparable to a local SIM :slight_smile:

Can I confirm you simply pay the 20 GBP per month for 12GB? ie that is your total cost per month?
Also did you purchase this and get it sent outside the UK or do you need to be in the UK to set it up?
And you simply top up inside it’s app?

Unlimited data worldwide for 35 GBP per month…
This is an awesome share!
Cheers! :smiley:

Good stuff! I get a local one as well but I like to have a working phone right away until I can get to a kiosk. They’re not always in the airport. I’ve had issues with airport WiFi not working and trying to get in touch with airbnb/Uber/taxi etc.

Figure a prepaid global sim as a backup would be a valid expense for me and give me some peace of mind between local sims or if I’m just going somewhere on a side trip for a week or two.