Would you like to help revitalize a village in Greece?

Hi all -

I’ve recently connected with an interesting community group called the Meraki people, based in a village in the Peloponnese of Greece, only 2 hours from Athens and its airport, and 1 hour and 15 minutes from Kalamata and its airport…full of cultural gems, great beaches and wild mountainous landscapes. They are trying to bring new life and economy to their villages, in a self-sustaining, technologically-innovative, and environmentally-positive way. And they’re interested in hosting digital nomads in a community experience where you could work on your own projects and/or volunteer to help the local communities, depending on your interests and availability. They have received some significant international recognition already.

I’m trying to work out details around a potential gathering approx mid-Nov to mid-Dec. but also want to gauge interest before getting too far. Cost of lodging should be reasonable/ off-season – apts or private rooms with heat and hot water, and there would be a co-working space + potential community kitchen. @alldreamedup and @munly_leong expressed interested in Greece this fall - have either of you made plans? Also, @srajan821 and @bradonomics - the Meraki people are trying to do something similar to an eco-village, so wanted to give you a shout too.

Hope to hear from some nomads interested this fall (or in the future). Thanks!

Susan

3 Likes

Aww this sounds great but in the end I settled for Lisbon instead so I’m all booked up until Xmas, so not this time round but definitely another time! Keep us posted when you’re there please, that’s very inspiring!

I think it sounds interesting too, but my travel is booked until next autumn. Anyway now I’m investigating it. Maybe next year!

sounds cool. i have to get out of schengen and I’m going to volunteer but good luck!

OK, I had a feeling most nomads weren’t as last-minute with their travel plans as me. But if it doesn’t work out for a group in the near term, I or someone will definitely keep you posted.

1 Like

I’m all about last minute, it’s just hard with schengen limits. :slight_smile:

Yep, I hear you on Schengen. I hope some other spontaneous nomads will respond here!

It’s interesting. Where I can find more info about this village?

Thanks for your interest! :smile:

If you mean the community group, The Meraki People, they have a FaceBook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/269767659843100/. They are actually trying to revitalize several villages, some in a nearby mountainous area near Paralio Astros – that seaside village is likely where we would stay if this happens in November, because it is already set up with the best wifi.

Here are a couple of links on the general area:

Also, for all who are reading and interested in this general kind of opportunity, a few other nomads and I started a group on FaceBook called Nomads for Sustainability and Social Good - https://www.facebook.com/groups/494385280736762/ Feel free to send me a request there and I’ll add you!

1 Like

This year will be out for me too. I still have a govt grant that ties me down till end of Feburary (unless I manage to replace it with something remote and more lucrative) and Im looking to set up base in Panama first before any real nomadic travel. Later next year could be doable though, sounds like it would all be a bit rushed to work out by this year anyway.

I think it’s likely this village will want to continue to host digital nomads next year. But actually the main details are already worked out for this year if anyone wants to come. A group of six apartments for 500 Euro single occupancy/ 600 double for 1 month. I have pictures and the places look very comfortable, 100 meters from the sea. If I can find nomads to take four apts, I’ll take the fifth, and the sixth has been offered to us for free as a co-working space (they would outfit it with tables/ desks) and community meal space. High-speed wifi. The organic food on offer sounds amazing! And there are tavernas in town too.

Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus, Mycenae, Nemea Games and numerous monasteries as well as a lot of trekking, mountain biking, forest hiking, snorkeling, tai chi lessons, and excellent cultural events. They are trying to roll out the red carpet for us, and I’ve gotten a tiny bit of interest from some FB groups, but would need more to move forward. So please do chime in if the Nov-Dec timeframe works for you. Thanks!

What’s the duration? 2-3 months?

Never say never but at the moment I’m only half way as far as the portable income that I would like, wish I wasn’t tied down. I’m also running behind in launching my store and at this point its doubtful whether I can get it launched in time for xmas or sooner.

I understand. Right now, just 1 month, but there might be flexibility for folks who wish to stay longer. I can inquire.

Damn, this would be sweet for maybe in the new year, but I’ll be in Las Palmas for November and December!

I’m seriously considering this if I can find a reasonably priced flight from Guatemala to Athens. I’ll dig around and let you know.

1 Like

Wow, Guatemala! Feel free to message me with specific questions, @andrewkent or anyone else. This community organization is in the early stages, but they envision remaking their somewhat abandoned villages with green “factory” and technology efforts. They hosted Dr. Gunter Pauli recently – you can Google him to learn more about him.

I might be interested in heading to Greece for this opportunity. Right now I have a farelock on a flight to Beijing during the second week of November. I’ll need to make a decision in the next 5 days. I’m not a Facebook user so no access to your group. Do you have more information elsewhere that I can check out?

In December I’ll be headed to France for the last two weeks of the year.

@psedillo - I will try to put up a web page tomorrow with all the info I’ve received, including apartment photos. In the mean time, let me know if you have specific questions. You can read a little here about the Meraki people - http://www.livinlovin.gr/the-meraki-people-go-global/. They were originally going to host us in Paralio Astros, but now the exact village would be Xiropigado Arcadias. https://www.google.gr/search?q=xiropigado&newwindow=1&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CD4Q7AlqFQoTCO6mmJ2jwMgCFQFKFAodqfEDAg&biw=1680&bih=949

1 Like

Sorry - they switched villages from the original proposal, and assured me fast wifi, but I think the speedtest results of this one is not adequate: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4746671536

@psedillo @vodafon @andrewkent - what do you think? They mentioned potentially getting some upgrades to wifi soon but I’m inclined not to rush for this fall.

1 Like