What's the easiest way to become an EU resident as an American national?

Hi, I saw your comment and I am in a similar situation, I would like to visit Italy on Oct and would like to get citizenship. My Great Grandmother was born in Italy. I asked here in Argentina and I am able to get my citizenship but it takes 4 years, so I think in Italy is faster. Do you have some tips or recommendations to keep in mind? thanks very much.

Wot? I thought it was grandfather only! Wow. That means I could have gotten it through Italy as well!

wanderingdev, how were you able to do this. I was told by an Italian lawyer when I looked into it, “If your grandfather naturalized, it is essential he did so after your father was born (your uncle, for your cousin) otherwise you are not eligible.” But you are saying you went as far back as your great grandfather. i.e. Your parent’s father or mother must have still been an Italian citizen when they were born. Can you give more details? Thks!

You can go back as far as necessary through the paternal line if you have the proof and if no one renounced citizenship. My grandfather was born before my great grandfather became a US citizen therefore I qualify.

Qualifying through the maternal line is more difficult and might involve going to court.

I’ve researched this at length and in sum, it’s pretty expensive if you don’t have a relative or ancestry line to obtain citizenship, or a work permit (usually sponsored by a company).

One of the easiest and most affordable places I’ve uncovered to-date is Malta, where you can get residency with a real estate investment of €275,000. That’s pretty cheap compared to most Western countries, but significantly more expensive than getting residency somewhere like Costa Rica or Panama, where it can cost just a couple thousand dollars.

Countries that offer citizenship by descent:
Italy, Ireland, Lithuania, Latvia, Serbia, Bosnia, Poland (kind of)

Easiest country for high-level entrepreneurs:
Belgium. It’s not anywhere near Malta’s costs. but it has ongoing costs.

Cheapest countries for start-ups:
Baltics, Slovenia. In some cases, no employees required and very low start-up costs.

Thanks Andrew, that helps. I just met Gregory yesterday and we were discussing a Slovenian residency for me. I will be in touch.

I’ve received a lot of DM’s from people requesting the assistant I used to help me get a visa. Unfortunately, she no longer offers this service so I can’t pass on her info.

A simple google search will tell you everything that you need to know about applying for the freelancer/self-employment visa. Good luck!