Recommendations for the Swiss Alps?

Hi all!

I will be moving to Switzerland a bit earlier than expected and would love to stay in the Swiss Alps for 2-3 weeks. Any of you have any recommendations for a solo traveler that wants to ski in the morning and work on my computer in the afternoon? I need to be mindful of my budget, although I don’t have to live super cheap. Anyone want to join me?

1 Like

mindful of budget is hard in switzerland. if you’re going to be living in switzerland anyway, why not go stay in one of the other countries nearby which might be a bit cheaper?

I am a full timer and my company is based in Switzerland, and will help pay for housing there. So just can’t go too crazy haha

Where in Switzerland will you be based? I used to live in Zurich, now based just over the southern Swiss border in Aosta. I think Interlaken is a good affordable choice, you can ski in the Jungfrau Region (Grindlewald First, Kleine Schidigg, Wengen, Murren etc). The train from Interlaken actually goes right to the top of the mountain.

I really like Engleberg for powder - probably my favourite Swiss resort along with Andermatt, although I wouldn’t live in Andermatt.

1 Like

I will be in Zurich for about a month as we run our conference mid March - mid April!

Before I have to go to Zurich I was thinking of staying some place like Interlaken - glad to see you recommend it. Would you recommend living in Interlaken then traveling up to the mountains, or would it be worth it to stay in a resort? I enjoy skiing, but am still new to the sport, which is why it is very tempting to live in the mountains and practice every day.

It’s a lot more expensive to live in Grindlewald or Wengen, but good if you want ski in/ski out. The advantage of Interlaken is that you can also get to Murren and the James Bond restaurant. :wink: Why not try Balmers hostel for a couple of evenings and then see what you fancy.

I think if you want a real Swiss mountain experience, I would choose Engleberg. It is really great. It’s old and beautiful, but it is also lively and vibrant.

I lived in the Swiss Alps for almost two years and I highly recommend Lauterbrunnen. It’s in the valley between two ski resorts. Small. And there are some affordable options (like this http://gigigriffis.com/beautiful-spaces-a-room-in-a-chalet-swiss-alps/). Interlaken is the nearest “big” city and there’s a great housing option there too (http://gigigriffis.com/beautiful-spaces-where-i-stayed-in-interlaken-switzerland-goats-included/). It’s a bit farther from the ski areas, but you can still be on top of a mountain in about an hour by train/cable car from there. (Lauterbrunnen is more like 30 minutes-ish).

2 Likes

Balmers still exists? Is it still pretty much a big frat house? When I stayed there I was at the funny farm. I’d planned on going to balmers but it was full. Didn’t expect to like FF but had a blast and ended up staying 2 weeks. We’d laugh when the Balmers guys wandered in and then got freaked out by our parties. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure, I actually usually stay in Hotel Artos round the corner, because it has a nice Wellness Centre plus an interesting business model too. It is attached to an elderly care home - you even share the restaurant. The hotel subsidises the care home.

I also tend to drive to Grindelwald or to the Murren cable car when I’m there, so I wouldn’t argue against Lauterbrunnen.

Thanks for the recommendations, going to check some of these places out!

Thank you! Loving the recommendations and some of your other blog posts

1 Like

Thanks gigi! I followed your link to your site and purchased your Swiss travel guide. Great source of information!! Just what I needed. Priced just right. Awesome. Thank you!

Hi Gigi - just wanted to let you know I will be staying with Vera and her goats. Really excited for this little mountain retreat. Thank you for the recommendation!

Excellent! The farmhouse is so great. Enjoy!

I moved to Lucerne because there you have a small city and you can go out in the evening and it’s close to the mountains for skiing. I would say Lucerne is the most beautiful city in the world :wink:
from Lucerne you have the spots Engelberg/Titlis, Klewenalp, Hasliberg, Sörenberg, Melchseefrutt which is all about 30-45 minutes from Lucerne centre. so easy to ski in the morning and working in the afternoon. I’m loving it.
houseing you can find easely over airbnb.

1 Like

I’m currently in Lavaux (Lausanne) area if someone wants to meet :slight_smile:

I lived in Montreux for a few months but wouldn’t really recommend it for much more than a quick day trip. Lausanne is a lot more fun and lively.
You could stay in Annemasse which is in France (so cheaper) but just a few minutes away from Geneva. From there you could do day trips to Lausanne and Geneva.

1 Like

Also from Genève / Annemasse area you can easily (1h train, 40 min car) reach Chamonix / Megève / Sallanches and also the Chablais area (Avoriaz, Evian…) so you have access to both sides of the lake.