Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (647K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=6,017) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What did you wish you knew earlier?

by @refuseillusion 9yr  | 18 comments

What took you longer to figure out than you thought?

Iโ€™ll become a nomad soon and I want to know what you learned after spending time on the road. Feel free to repeat tips that have been told already in order to increase their significance.

(Obviously donโ€™t talk about things that you got right away and that are mentioned in every blog post)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@karene 9yr

Things I wish Iโ€™d known:

1. I second @nambrot that you shouldnโ€™t try to do too much in a certain amount of time. I exhausted myself in my first 6 months - sometimes staying in a city for as little as a week before hopping to the next. My sister and I travel together and we were so worried about planning the perfect trip we booked rooms and flights ahead of time for the whole 6 months. Big mistake.
  2. Always plan to come home for a bit. While itโ€™s interesting and fun and totally worth it to spend time in another country, at some point youโ€™re going to want to enjoy your own comfort zone again. Plan to take periodic trips home, whatever โ€œhomeโ€ means to you. Itโ€™s hard being a foreigner all the time. Iโ€™m currently taking a 4 month โ€œhomeโ€ break now.
  3. The weekend trips! I hadnโ€™t really planned on needing so much time for weekend trips. Think of your destinations more as home bases. You can pick a central location (a big city) in your country of choice that will have the infrastructure you need for working during the week, and then plan to use some of your weekends to explore other parts of the country. I hadnโ€™t planned ahead for this, but it became an obvious necessity upon arrival.
  4. Loneliness, yikes. Iโ€™m traveling with my sister, but even we got lonely together. It was really difficult only having each other. Humans are pack animals. Staying in touch with my friends back home was really helpful, although in a way it pulled me out of my experience. If you struggle with loneliness, doing something as simple as planning a weekly โ€œSkype date nightโ€ with a friend can make a big difference. And by friend, I mean one who supports what youโ€™re doing and is excited about it (not jealous or cynical). Call mom often. Also - absolutely stay in a place with multiple roommates. Having someone to chat with in the morning while you make coffee can make all the difference.
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@replay 9yr

One of the main things Iโ€™ve learned is to not give up easily if people say โ€œyou canโ€™t do thatโ€. It happened quite many times to me that somebody said I canโ€™t do something because of some visa policy or because itโ€™s too dangerous or whatever other reason, and once I tried myself it wasnโ€™t that bad. So Iโ€™ve kind of stopped listening to people telling me to not do something and I only listen to people who tell me I can do something :slight_smile: .

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nambrot 9yr
  1. Super lonely. I really wish someone would fix this problem. There is clearly a sizable number of nomads going to places who are in the same situation, but be prepared that most of your time will be spent by yourself or making very short-lived relationships. I have learned that Iโ€™m someone who craves building a sustainable connection with people over a longer period of time.

2. Donโ€™t do X cities in Y days. Try to stay in a place as long as possible, places start to look somewhat similar from a superficial tourist perspective. You gotta give a place enough time.

3. Logistics ainโ€™t that hard once you get the hang of it. At this point, I barely do any preparations (though the Visa situation sucks for Vietnamese citizens)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@trishak 9yr

Mish and Rob from Making it Anywhere have attempted to address the loneliness issue - they have created an app for finding other nomads wherever you are in the world. It is called Find a nomad and there is more information at the Making it Anywhere blog.
Hopefully this will help.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I think a lot of people are trying to fix the loneliness problem. Are you on #nomads or do you know/use other products to fight loneliness?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@bydorian 9yr

I wish I knew to be myself and follow my own path, as soon as you get something like โ€œI wish I could โ€ฆโ€ in your head, that means you want it.

โ€œI wish I could go to Praguesโ€ -> go fucking do it (@levelsio :D)

โ€œI wish I could have the balls to take this plane to Tokyoโ€ -> go fucking do it!

You get the point :smiley:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
  1. I didnโ€™t realize how much times would go towards planning where to stay, what plane tickets to buy, which local SIM card to get, where youโ€™ll get the best exchange rate, what visa procedure you need to follow to get in etc. If you move often, you find yourself repeating these steps, and it doesnโ€™t necessarily get easier over time.
  2. I didnโ€™t realize how much time would go towards very simple things that were so obvious before (when you didnโ€™t travel), like replacing a broken laptop charger, finding a local post office and sending something off, picking up mail sent to you (without permanent address, enjoy!), wandering around trying to find a laundry service or a coffee shop with free WiFi (for more than one hour). There are so many simple things you need that suddenly become very time consuming.
  3. How easy it is to just fall in the traveling trap. In some locations there is so much to do and see, giving you a bad feeling when youโ€™re not getting the full potential out of your stay.
  4. You start losing the point of traveling and the point of meeting new people. Do you want to go see yet another temple (while traveling through Asia)? Or do you want to engage yet again with a new person youโ€™ve just met whom youโ€™ll add on Facebook but will never talk to again? Also, traveling by yourself isnโ€™t that great if you canโ€™t share your experiences with somebody you care about.
  5. The fact that you need the most of: underwear! Because thatโ€™s what youโ€™ll change most often. You wonโ€™t change your shorts or t-shirts that often, so you need less of these. Remember, the less underwear you bring, the more laundry youโ€™ll have to do. If you bring 5 pieces, youโ€™ll have to do laundry every 5 days which gets tiring. Also, bring single use Tide packets so you can do laundry overnight in a sink.
  6. The impact of different time zones on your business. Depending on what your business is, youโ€™ll be expected to answer email / offer support in the middle of the night, late at night or early in the morning.

Summarized: You get far less done than what you originally planned to do (I bought a Kindle to read some books and havenโ€™t touched it the past two months).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

which local SIM card to get

FYI, if any arenโ€™t aware of it, this site is essential on helping figure out the answer to which sim card

finding a local post office and sending something off

This, and couriers. If you leave major cities in SE Asia they become not only few and far between but also very very difficult to find and get to. Then of course thereโ€™s trying to get something printed prior to couriering it which can be a whole other hunt.

Oh, and if you want to follow proper legal procedures in a country and do things the right way, expect pain. For example, I opted to legally get my motorcycle license converted in Saigon so I could rent scooters (mainly for the fear of having my health insurance reject my coverage in the case of a claim). That took a week to figure out. Many different offices, very few people speaking english, everyone telling you a different place to go, multiple copies of everything. Then many stamps, a great deal of waiting and all of $12 and finally a vietnamese motorcycle license.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for mentioning the SIM Wiki, even learned something about my go-to carrier in my homecountry, lol.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@archagon 9yr

Ugh yeah! It feels like a full time job sometimes, especially when youโ€™re frantically looking for accommodation.

Iโ€™ve thought about this a lot while Iโ€™ve been on the road. On the one hand, it feels like thereโ€™s a lot less of a point in traveling if you donโ€™t have any of your friends or family around. On the other handโ€ฆ what else am I going to do? Stay in California for the rest of my life? No way.

Iโ€™ve been thinking that the best way to go is to probably find a few cities around the world that you really resonate with and then cycle between them every few months/years. I didnโ€™t realize how much I enjoyed the feeling of an already familiar city until I visited Paris for the second time!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

When I travel, I just bring two of everythingโ€ฆ
2 x synthetic underwear (Uniqlo Airism)
2 x synthetic t-shirts
2 x pairs of synthetic socks.

And then each night after Iโ€™ve taken a shower, I manually wash my synthetics in the sink (warm water & soap, no twisting), rinse out with warm water, squeeze out the water, roll it up in a towel (like a burrito) to suck out more moisture, then hang dry overnight, and everything should be dry the next day. This obviously only works for synthetics, not cottons, since cotton takes forever to dry. Overall, it only takes about 5 minutes each night. With synthetics, you just want to avoid hot washing, hot drying, and twisting.

And I donโ€™t think you really need Tide packets. Regular soap works fine.

Less underwear/socks/t-shirts, less Tide packets, means packing lighter. :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for the link, very interesting read.
Iโ€™m however unsure if the dry-overnight technique works in every climate. When I was in Malta clothes took forever to dry because the humidity is so high. But maybe the burrito-roll fixes the humidity - in which climates have you used this approach?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

[quote=โ€œrefuseillusion, post:18, topic:2331, full:trueโ€]Thanks for the link, very interesting read.
Iโ€™m however unsure if the dry-overnight technique works in every climate. When I was in Malta clothes took forever to dry because the humidity is so high. But maybe the burrito-roll fixes the humidity - in which climates have you used this approach?[/quote]

Iโ€™ve done it in a variety of climates, including humid climates. Drying time for thin synthetics may vary between 6-15 hours (depending on humidity & airflow).

And yes, the burrito-towel-roll makes a big difference.

http://blog.tortugabackpacks.com/wp-content/forum/uploads/roll-in-towel-dry2.png

Also, hang your synthetic socks horizontally across two hangers (or hang it by a clip) so thereโ€™s more airflow. If you simply fold the sock over a hanger, the double layer of sock will slow down the drying time.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

wow, I am amazed by the quality of the replies. Thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated.

I seem to have quite the same views on Digital Nomadism as @dandanflood and I canโ€™t wait to leave my homecountry and discover the world. I had a conversation today about how this lifestyle is dangerous but I think that for every risk you take and everything bad that happens to you, you can choose to learn from it and move on with your life.

When on holidays I always am in a โ€œholiday-modeโ€ that is basically a Donโ€™t-Give-A-Shit attitude and I behave differently. You @levelsio talked about that the problems you are now facing are the same youโ€™d face at home so I am wondering if the environmental change didnโ€™t affect your behaviour/character/problemsโ€ฆ?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@grum 9yr

I only have 3 โ€œI wish I knewโ€ issues since starting this lifestyle:

1. Why the heck didnโ€™t I do this earlier? I had the ability to, but all this planning nonsense and whatnot just ended up wasting time.

2. Why did I take so much stuff with me? Perpetually traveling is tiresome and even though Iโ€™m physically moving from one location to another only once every so often, it sucked with heavy bags. I quickly realised that living in cheap countries meant that I could buy new clothing wherever I was (which suited the climate) and donate it to the needy before I left.

3. Why do I always have to justify my life choices to others?

โ€œOh, so youโ€™re one of those digital nomad things eh? You must be living the dream. That canโ€™t be sustainableโ€.

No, my life isnโ€™t perfect. It is comfortable and Iโ€™m a lot happier than I was 10 years ago however Iโ€™m not living on tropical beaches whilst white water rafting every weekend. Iโ€™m still behind a computer screen every day poking away at the keyboard. Sometimes when people ask me what I do, I just say Iโ€™m on holidays and I work in an office back home. It can be tiresome and irritating having to justify myself to others who insist their way of life is better than mine as I am seemingly a threat to their very existence.

Aside from that, life plods along the same (mostly) as it would at โ€œhomeโ€. Sure, I deal with a lot more paperwork regarding the tax and immigration department but thatโ€™s just par for the course. My life did improve substantially after I made the choice, however it probably would have even if I didnโ€™t leave.

Digital Nomadism isnโ€™t a quick fix, itโ€™s just a different lifestyle. It doesnโ€™t fix anything. You have to choose to fix yourself if you need to be fixed in the first place.

Although this isnโ€™t something I assumed before I started, I desperately wish the Internet would stop hyping it as the saviour of all things.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

To be honest I canโ€™t imagine people arguing why this lifestyle is bad/not sustainable. Maybe this is a question of age? My peers (aged 17-20) are open-minded towards that lifestyle, probably because it now is common to take a gap year between high school and university participating in Work & Travel programms (which are very related to the Digital Nomad lifestyle)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@grum 9yr

It can be bad/not sustainable. Loneliness is a huuuuuuuge issue, the fact that youโ€™re bending laws to suit yourself is a problem too. The lifestyle can be hard on those who arenโ€™t accustomed to it. Many expect to be on holidays and are quickly saddened to find out that it isnโ€™t all beaches and laptops. Iโ€™ve met nomads in their late teens all the way to their 40s so age isnโ€™t really a thing. In comparison to the gap-year though, (for most) there is a lot less partying. Hard to run your own business if youโ€™re continually sporting a hangover :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

Awesome question.

I think what I learnt in two years traveling is that it doesnโ€™t really matter what you do with your life, youโ€™ll always have good and bad times. I knew about the Hedonic Treadmill before, so I knew this was coming but still itโ€™s interesting. You can raise the quality of your life by using the cost savings of leaving expensive countries, which is great in the beginning. But youโ€™ll get used to your newfound luxuries (e.g. the typical pool, beach, laptop b.s.).

The thing is that it always seems traveling is presented as something positive. And even though I feel it is, youโ€™ll have the same problems in relationships, friendships, business as youโ€™d have at home. So itโ€™s not really about getting a more happy life, thereโ€™s not even a guarantee itโ€™ll make you happier. It will be more interesting though.

And maybe thatโ€™s what you should go for. Live the most interesting life you can get.

Itโ€™ll also change you forever. Like most big things in life will. If youโ€™ve never lived your life at home outside of the typical structures, you will probably do for the first time when youโ€™re abroad. That means without a definite cultural structure, youโ€™ll probably do a lot of soul searching and learning more about yourself. Especially in the times youโ€™re alone. This might take years, but youโ€™ll evolve into a much stronger personality.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
440ms