Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,882) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is the internet in West/Central Africa?

by @wordmonkey 8yr  | 6 comments

Soโ€ฆ common sense says that the best places to work are those with good, fast, stable WiFi connections. At the same time, the thing I like best about my location independence is the ability to spend long stretches of time in places I wouldnโ€™t normally get to spend much time in. So Iโ€™m determined to make West and Central Africa happen in 2017, specifically Benin, Togo, Senegal, Cote dโ€™Ivoire, Gabon, Rwanda and Congo-Brazzaville. (And a month off in the DRC, but the latter will just be an offline holiday.)

If anyone has any experience with the reliability of the Internet in the region and the availability of data SIM cards in any of the countries Iโ€™ve mentioned, Iโ€™d be super grateful about insights, tipps and heads-ups, AirBnB recommendations, et cetera. I know itโ€™s not going to be a fast, luxurious, spotless connection for most of the time, and thatโ€™s fine, I just need it to be mostly reliable, speed is secondary.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@edward_ 8yr

I was in Tanzania one year ago and the internet speed wasnโ€™t as bad as I thought (maybe 2-5mbps in Arusha)
The problem was that the energy grid of the whole country was being renovated so there were daily blackouts. Itโ€™s probably resolved by now, but itโ€™s good to research in advance about that issue as well.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hello from Dakar! The wifi in our apartment is just 1Mbps down but very low latency so quite nice. I work out of Jokkolabs which is something like 5Mbps but is significantly higher latency so is slower for typical web browsing. 4G on Orange is super fast and coverage is very good in the city. I havenโ€™t ventured far out so I donโ€™t know what itโ€™s like in the rest of the country. Weโ€™re staying in Citรฉ Keur Gorgi and I walk to Jokkolabs.

We were in Ghana last month which isnโ€™t on your list but perhaps should be! We tethered off of MTN 4G and that was great in our apartment near Kotobabi Spintex. 4G coverage isnโ€™t great everywhere in Accra but we got it most places. We tried working from Impact Hub Accra but the connection was just too slow and the building doesnโ€™t have 4G coverage.

If you venture east, I can also recommend Nairobi which has fantastic Internet and Dar es Salaam which doesnโ€™t have great Internet but has a very different and cool vibe.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@africajam 8yr

Glad to hear you had a good experience in Ghana. I was born there but havenโ€™t been back in quite a while :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

You should go! My husband @yanokwa is from Accra and I think itโ€™s an especially great experience if you have family or other connections there.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@africajam 8yr

Awesome - Ghanaian men are the best - once you get over their habit of calling everyone โ€œcharleyโ€ :wink: I will go back at some point, just not quite sure when.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Perfect, thatโ€™s very reassuring, thanks! Ghana is a โ€œlaterโ€ on the list; Iโ€™m planning to focus specifically on Francophone countries in 2017, as I wish to reacquire my long-lost French skills. :smile:

As for Kenya and Tanzania, Iโ€™ll definitely head that way at some point. Iโ€™ll stay around West/Central Africa* for now, but Iโ€™m happy to know that the Internet situation seems to be workable in quite a few places around the continent. The more options, the better. :slight_smile:

[*and I have changed the thread title back accordingly โ€“ come on, โ€œAfricaโ€ is no more a coherent region than โ€œAsiaโ€ is!]

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Holร  ! What's the internet / wifi situation in Sayulita ?

in Puerto Escondido , Mexico by @ambroisedebret 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

After being told it's unworkable in Puerto Escondido, looking for alternatives :)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How's the internet in Oaxaca towns?

in Oaxaca , Mexico by @azurio 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi guys!

If youโ€™ve been to Puerto Escondido, Mazunte, Zipolite, etc, please share your experience with the internet there.

• What speeds did you get up/down? Where?

• How solid and consistent was the connection?

• How common are blackouts and loss of power?

• Any other tips, favorite places to work, etc?

Which towns have decent internet?

• Puerto Escondido
  • Mazunte
  • Zipolite

0 voters

Thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is the Internet in Guatemala and Nicaragua?

in Nicaragua by @brendac 5yr 5 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi! I am looking to slow travel Antigua, Lake Atitlan, Managua, Granada, Ometepe and then on to Liberia area in Costa Rica. Does anyone have experience with the internet in these places? I have to do Skype consults during the week and really need reliable internet.
Thanks for any help

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is there any good and safe coworking space with fast internet in Costa Rica?

in Costa Rica by @sven 5yr 5 years ago  | 7 comments

Everything is in the title.

Iโ€™m working on a big project so I will need fast internet (>15 mbps).
If itโ€™s close to the beach, it would be even better.

Thanks !!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Pacific islands with decent internet speed to work online

by @paxai 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Any digital nomads that have lived for an extended period of time on a pacific island? I am planning on moving with my girlfriend for a 6 month period to a pacific island, and planning to live of copywriting and some other online work.

Have been looking at islands like Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Cook Islands ++. Main problem is that many places seem to have expensive/bad internet speeds and access.

I dontยดt need superfast internet, but it has to be good enough for me to surf, send e-mails, download pictures, update webpages and so on. Either good internet cafes or the possibility to rent appartments with internet that doesnt suck or blow our budget.

Any recommendations for the perfect pacific island for working online?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Internet Speed (Teaching English Online)

by @teacher 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi guys.

Iโ€™ll be travelling to Peru soon to volunteer and thinking to teach online in Cusco. Iโ€™m wondering what the best set-up would be for speeds high enough to teach via video-platform online. Iโ€™m open to getting a SIM Card with a data package, getting a dedicated internet provider for a private apartment or using an ethernet cable to increase speed.

Thank you,
Seda

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's a good and warm place in April to surf with fast internet?

by @jakegibson 6yr 6 years ago  | 9 comments

I landed a remote job that is fully remote with only one team skype meeting a week. Iโ€™m looking to leave around March 13th and stay 1 - 3 months in each place. The first place I want somewhere that is warm with good surf. For the group video chat I need at least 5/2 down/up reliable internet. Any recommendations for a place that meets that end of March - April?

Iโ€™ve read through the forums / nomads list. Iโ€™ve already done Costa Rica and Indo and would like to try somewhere new. Currently looking at Sayuliata Mexico, Canary Islands, and Morocco though I think Iโ€™ll wait on the second two since they sound like they are better in the fall.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How good is internet in Cuba?

in Cuba by @vi 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi all,

Iโ€™m going to Cuba in October and I need internet for my work. Iโ€™m concerned with the internet connection in Cuba. Is it possible to have a descent internet connection that I can use to get the work done?

I donโ€™t need to make video calls, I just need to be able to upload my work couple of times per day. I donโ€™t need a lot of bandwidth either.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Internet speed in Arequipa/Peru and the north of Chile

in Arequipa , Peru by @danielaf 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Has anyone been to Arequipa and worked with Skype or Zoom? Iโ€™m currently in Lima and have 8 Mbps which is fine. Funnily, Nomadlist lists Lima with an average speed of 2Mbps and Arequipa with 5Mbps. Any recent experiences? Also interested in the north of Chile as Iโ€™m thinking of travelling by bus to Arica, San Pedro de Atacama and then either to Argentina or slowly down south to Patagonia.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best provider/source for high speed internet in Mcleod Ganj, India?

in India by @teacher 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Iโ€™m travelling there in the fall and video conference online for work. I need at least 10mpbs download speeds. What is available in terms of providers or cellular hot spot options? Thank you in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best places for local, organic food and strong internet outside of South East Asia?

by @jmacattak 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Where can I find locally sourced, organic (or at least non-GMO) and also be able to work with strong internet?
I did a search but didnโ€™t find much info. We love Bali and the food here is amazing, we are just looking to try somewhere else out (preferably somewhere in Europe) after a long time in Asia. We also loved the Northern Rivers area in Australia and want to find similar food offerings and compare our options!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Internet quality in Guatemala (esp. Antigua)

in Antigua , Guatemala by @clusk 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Has anyone been to Antigua, Guatemala recently? It is on my list for destinations to stay for a week or so. Wanted to know if anyone has had an experience there recently or could point out a cafe or two to find a decent Wi-Fi connection.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's best internet solution for travelers? SkyRoam vs Global Roaming Data plans

by @alexmarinov 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

Whatโ€™s up nomads!

What do you use to get internet for work when you travel? Iโ€™m trying to figure out the best option to get internet when Iโ€™m traveling. For now mostly in Europe and mostly for conference calls with screen sharing. Iโ€™m willing to spend $200-300 per month.

I need to:

1. tether my laptop to my data plan on my phone, or on another device (like SkyRoam which I donโ€™t have yet, but considering)
  2. have data on my phone for essentials like Google Maps when driving around.

My US carrier is Sprint Wireless. I have unlimited data, which I can enable globally at no extra charge but itโ€™s supposedly 3G, but doesnโ€™t really work. Sprint also has a plan called Sprint Global Roaming, which offers high speed internet, but itโ€™s $30 per 1GB which can add up to $500-$600 per month given my usage.

Iโ€™m not always close to WiFi or Co-Working spaces. Iโ€™m looking for a solution that would basically allow me to get on a Google Hangout or GoToMeeting call on my laptop from my car.

Any experience with gadgets like SkyRoam or similar ones from Verizon or AT&T? How good and reliable are those?

Any ideas? What do you use?

Thanks,
Alex

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any tips for nomad'ing from Tanzania to South Africa?

in South Africa by @tylertringas 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi nomads! Iโ€™m headed to Tanzania in mid-July and working my way down to Cape Town over about 2.5 months. Itโ€™s my first time in the region. Any tips or warnings for typical nomad concerns in Tanzania, Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique and South Africa?

Iโ€™m anticipating worse than usual wifi speed but any tips on connectivity would be great.

What are the best sites or strategies for accommodation? I usually use Airbnb, hostelworld or booking.com and target guesthouses in the $50/night or cheaper range. Is that realistic?

Most importantly what should we do?! Iโ€™ve already research the obvious highlights: Kilimanjaro, Serengeti, Zanzibar, Victoria Falls, etc. Any off the beaten path things to do and/or good spots to post up for a few weeks and enjoy/work?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the internet speed like in Amsterdam?

in Amsterdam , Netherlands by @stevie 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

What is internet connection like in Amsterdam? And how much should I budget for?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What place in Thailand has fast internet and beautiful nature?

in Thailand by @tomanna 7yr 7 years ago  | 26 comments

Hi all!

Iโ€™m trying to work out where I should go in Thailand that offers a combination of strong internet connection with a bit of natural beauty (hills/sea - I donโ€™t really mind).

Iโ€™ve been in Bali recently and whilst it is gorgeous it has two main problems for me. First, it doesnโ€™t really support a lifestyle where you walk anywhere - the roads are dangerous and pavements largely non-existant. And, famously, the internet connections here arenโ€™t fabulous, unless you go to a coworking spot.

Can anyone with experience of Thailand please tell me if they can recommend somewhere thatโ€™s attractive to be in, well connected, and less-than-lethal for pedestrians?

thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are internet speeds fast and reliable enough for digital nomads in Tulum?

in Tulum , Mexico by @natekap 7yr 7 years ago  | 10 comments

Do any digital nomads here live and work from Tulum? Has anyone in the recent past?

Iโ€™ve been researching spending the fall in Tulum so I can work and also go to a great immersive Spanish school I found there. However, I recently started seeing a lot about internet connections being slow, going in and out if there is rain in Tulum, going down for a week at a time. On top of all that, I also heard that cellular connections are spotty there and that there isnโ€™t 4G there yet. Airbnb hosts I contacted have said mixed things and the ones who were specific said that their internet connections were only 1mb up and 256k downโ€ฆ

Can anyone confirm or deny? Is Tulumโ€™s infrastructure not quite ready for digital nomads?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Staying in Italy for a few months - internet?

in Italy by @ld 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Hello,

My boyfriend and I would like to spend a few months in Italy - nowhere major like Milan, maybe Tuscany region or more south. Iโ€™ve been there before, but not in a work capacity. We need decent internet both where we stay (maybe airbnb) and are hoping to find some cafes or work spots around.

I donโ€™t see too much on here about Italy. And it certainly doesnโ€™t make any list of โ€˜best places for digital nomadsโ€™ - so Iโ€™m curious about that. Is it a bad spot for people like us that survive off of the internet? Is it not reliable?

I appreciate any insights from your experiences!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Coworking or internet cafes in Dumaguete

by @dhunter 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey folk,
heading to Dumaguete tomorrow and couldnโ€™t find anything about nice coworking spaces or internet cafes in Dumaguete City. Most important is fast internet. as I have to give some online trainingโ€™s with screen-sharing etc. and unfortunately I donโ€™t have the time to explore different places. so any recommendations are very welcome.
thanks, Daniel

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
461ms