I’ve got a lot running through my mind at the moment, I’m rather anxious as it feels as if I’m coming towards a crossroad and need to make a decision soon, of which I’m not confident in making the right one.
Long post, it does come back around (i.e., details about my situation in middle, then Q at end about anyone similar, or who thinks their old life was the same if not better)
I have a partner & a pet.
- Own a house
- Have some family left, they are getting old (mid 70’s). Have some friends and roots, no close friends though.
- Nothing particularly wrong with it. Don’t get out much so lack of attractions isn’t a big deal (and besides once you’ve lived for 10+ years it will have little left to do outside of routine gym/cinema/restaurants/beach)
- I have parents here with 2 siblings (very young). So ‘future-proof’ wise this is better (i.e., would we end up moving here one day anyway? Could be worth biting the bullet now)
- Okay-ish for rent, very expensive to buy. Basically double what my house is worth.
- If we fell out with parent or didn’t like siblings (it could happen) then we’d have lost pretty much the only reason to move here
- The generic pros/cons
- More specific cons: What to do with house (rent likely). What to do with all the contents (~$20k worth), would sell at a fraction of what would cost to rebuy. Our pet
- Would cost $1-2k each year to come back home to visit. Reliant on other people (staying at their house while visiting for a few weeks/month would be harder then being close where visits are shorter and easier to not be so intertwined).
I travelled for ~3 months straight last year so I’ve got a decent understanding of the work implications and routines there.
I’m wondering what to do, is the travelling really worth it or is it an escape fantasy that won’t deliver?
It’d be hard to go back if change mind (hey can we take our pet back? Tenant has a 12 month lease. Rebuying things).
My thought was (pending family thoughts):
- Take some key things to family house in City B. Pet can stay here
- Nomad lifestyle, and visit City B once a year or so along with City A and some other various family for ~2 months before leaving again
Seems to be the best compromise between nomad lifestyle and family.
Has anyone else been on the fence, how did it work out?
Has anyone changed to the nomad lifestyle and found out it wasn’t as good as they thought, and staying put would have been a good option in the end?