Is it just me or are Airbnb prices getting way out of hand?

There are a few solutions emerging out there, which is great to see because there’s definitely a largely untapped market opportunity here. The one I know off the top of my head is horizonapp.co. Their value prop is basically what this thread is all about: short-term subletting rather than a few days on vacation.

I believe it works by connecting you with friends of friends (FB) and allowing you to join interest/location groups. Looks like there’s a “global nomads” group here: https://api.horizonapp.co/groups

Here’s something else that seems to be in the works:

Hi Serge,
i totally agree with you. That’s why on Quora, i asked if Airbnb used to encourage hosts to increase their price. People answered me that usually Airbnb prices are below what hosts setup. So, that’s the hosts who setup the prices high.
Before Hotels were more expensive than Airbnb, now Airbnb is more expensive than Hotel. Furthermore, the quality of Airbnb accommodations really lowered. It attracts lots of people who just don’t care.
I go back and forth to Hotels and Airbnb accommodations. Before, it was always better to go Airbnb. Now, lots of time, there are problems at Airbnb accommodations: Internet does not work, it is noisy…
If you go to Dublin in Ireland, you will see the same thing as in NL. Overpriced rubbish places everywhere on airbnb. It is really difficult to find something decent.

We hosted in New Orleans, in 2013-2015, and the AirBnB suggested prices initially were always way above what we felt was right. By the time we stopped, it was the reverse. So I would say the opposite of your Quora results, that AirBnB probably was a factor in raising the prices. But another factor in our case, maybe the biggest, was clearly that once the number of AirBnBs hit a critical mass the prices went through the roof.

This is to make it 15% cheaper http://www.ebay.com/itm/Get-a-200-Airbnb-Gift-Card-Gift-Card-for-only-170-Email-delivery-/252649332772

Maybe Airbnb is not getting more expensive, maybe digital nomads are getting poorer :wink:

Seriously I agree, Airbnb is for the foreign market, locals jack up prices for foreigners. You need to find local market websites, usually with the .* extension of the country. Or other aggregator sites. Forget English speaking sites like Airbnb if you want to stay like a local. Despite what AirBnb says about ‘living like a local’ you are doing so at foreigner prices!

I’m starting to see hotels cheaper now.

Airbnb prices are definitely getting more expensive, as lots of people have started using the platform to create a new source of income.
They’re looking at it as a business, and they’re trying to maximize their earnings. You’ll see hundreds of hosts renting houses for the sole purpose of subletting their apartments on Airbnb.

This said, for long-term bookings, there are ways to land extreme discounts. I’ve been traveling for a year now, and whenever I can always prefer staying in an Airbnb as it gives me the comfort and feeling of being home.

If you are flexible with your dates (and destination), I guarantee you’ll be able to negotiate over 50% discount on bookings that are 2 weeks are longer.
Here are are a couple of reasons why hosts will give you discounts:

They are getting started with Airbnb and they want to rack up positive reviews as soon as possible.

– They prefer to make a guaranteed amount of money through one guest rather than an undefined amount with multiple guests.

– They care more about the guest being a good fit (good reviews, trustworthiness etc.) rather than making more money.

– It is off-season and they are unsure about their potential earnings.

– You are not targeting a prime location where demand is consistently high and hosts are showered with new offers every day.

– You are offering to stay for a longer period of time. This makes maintenance (cleaning, guest relations etc.) much easier for them. They get reminded how much work it is to screen, welcome and maintain guests.

I recently wrote a step-by-step guide with real-life examples on how I get huge discounts on every single one of my bookings. And by discounts, I don’t mean the automatic discounts that have been pre-set by hosts. I mean 50% on top of that.

I hope it helps!

Yes! I have definitely found this recently, owners are focusing on short stays <7 days where they can maximise profits, and not accepting longer stays where they may have to discount. Yes you can still email owners to try and get a good deal, but increasingly this is becoming harder.

I actually got so annoyed with my last AirBNB search that I put together my process of finding digital nomad accommodation and how to find the best place to stay at the best price :sunglasses:

I think the discounting process is great on an individual basis, obviously, but as it’s become more common could be one of the factors driving prices up. If hosts expect you to negotiate a substantial discount then they will pad the price to compensate for that.

I used to use airbnb all the time, it used to be great for avoiding scams when you aren’t in the area you are looking to rent long term. Now though a lot of the prices are more expensive than hotels in many cities. Even in US you have places where rent is much cheaper with prices similar to cities such as NYC of SF.

When I started as a nomad I would sublet a place of someone leaving just hoping to get someone to cover their rent. Now everyone is looking to profit, but the demand is there and that is why prices keep rising. When I was looking for a place in SF no one even wanted to rent for a month unless I took it at weekly rate since they would be losing money discounting it to me.

90% True, but depends on a location.
In most cases a private room in booking.com would be cheaper, but I am now in Malaga, and have to say Airbnb is much cheaper and better than anything else. I wish it would be the norm.

Totally agree (on both points)! When I find an apartment I like on Airbnb, I Google Search the photo listing image and find the apartment rental company so I can rent directly from them and avoid Airbnb’s fees. The rental company doesn’t care, they save on their end as well.

I do the same on flight booking sites. I use them to search but book directly on the airline’s website so they can’t blame the booking site for any mishaps. Works great every time!

Definitely much more realistic. Could be a freemium (or even free) “productized service”. But of course you’ll compete with airbnb who pays more. You’ll have to sell the nomad profile to people who wants longer term / safer / cleaner (???) /quieter (???) people. And you’re still competing with airbnb :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, getting shocked with their recent prices too. :frowning:

New regulations and restrictions, such as in Berlin for example, make it increasingly difficult to rent out whole flats on airbnb. Hosts can not just sublet the appartments they rent themselves anymore that easily without the suspicious eye of tax authority and quite high fines. (Its another discussion but Airbnb certainly has/had quite an impact on local rental prices and availability of flats).
With lower competition and a lot of places run by (semi-)professionals the availability is lower and prices increase.

I’ve been wanting to find a like co-working / co-living network - where you pay a certain monthly “rent” to the consortium, which has properties all over the world (clean, comfy, good wifi) and you can move around / book your stays in them as you please.

That would be perfect. That most certainly would be a blessing for all Nomads, I’d sign up for that, a subscription for places to stay.
I think it was stated by someone else earlier, basically a timeshare type of deal for all nomad that have subscribed