Introduce yourself — who are you, where are you and what do you do?

Hi everyone! I’m new here! My name is Mikel.

I’m both an US and EU citizen, with Spanish upbringing, born in Florida, currently living in Miami, but lived Venezuela up to my late teens. I’ve lived most of my life between Bqto (Venezuela), Miami (US), Boston (US), and London (UK). Fluent in Spanish and English.

I’m a backend developer (Golang/Dartlang/Kubernetes/Google Cloud) with a communications startup called LiveNinja in Miami. Also, Wyncode grad.

Although not a fully digital nomad yet, I’ve travel around a bit and I’m ever so more intrigued with the nomadic lifestyle!

One memorable experience would be having backed packed around Western and Eastern Europe by train during Iceland’s volcanic eruption (Eyjafjallajökull) in 2010. From one day to the other, everyone had to travel by land (mostly train) due to all the cancelled flights. The trains were packed to the last inch! It was not easy but got to learn how to sleep in the hallways during train rides and met tons of unfortunate, but interesting travelers on the way.

Looking forward to learning tons! I’m here for anyone in Miami and the Miami tech scene.

Ho, everyone! My name’s Jon, and I just became a nomad recently, and started my first trip to Prague a couple of days ago. I’m a freelance writer and have been living in New York the past 6 years. I decided last month to take the plunge and become a nomad.

I’ve traveled extensively around Europe and also India. My favorite memory so far is probably hiking in the Himalayas.

I’m airbnbing for the next couple of months in Prague and then in Berlin in August. Happy to take any recommendations or meet up.

Hello everyone!

I’m a US tax attorney who lives full time in Belize City. (So, not a nomad, but I travel as often as once can with a 7-year-old and a 5-year-old and a busy legal practice.)

My specialty is tax planning and compliance for Americans who live or invest abroad, with a special emphasis on legal structuring for digital nomads.

Let me know if you have any questions! And I’ll be looking for ways to add value to the community here.

Thanks!

Hey Stewart, welcome.

Thanks for answering questions–that was genuinely helpful.

Please hang around and hopefully get another AMA going with official “blessing.”

Hello everyone!

what’s your name?
My name is Marek
where are you from?
I’m from Wrocław, Poland
how long have you been away from home?
Not long, just a couple of days. Although I travel quite often. On average 2-3 weeks every month.
what do you do?
I’m software developer. Currently programming some crypto stuff in Rust.
where are you currently?
Berlin :slight_smile:
where are you going?
Probably Croatia in couple of weeks… Don’t know yet. Definitely some warm place.
what has been memorable for you so far?
Asia. Last year I spend 3 months there. It was just… indescribable.
will you go home anytime soon?
Hopefully not!

Thanks @opt!

Hi nomads

We’re a couple of new nomads, Jackie and Ryan, originally from Zimbabwe and South Africa, we left South Africa in March 2016 and have been in the UK and now South East Asia.

We’re both software developers, python and ruby at the mo, but always like new challenges.

In Koh Tao at the mo but not for that long, heading to Bali Ubud/Canggu for a month or 2.

During this travel, the food in Chiang Mai / Pai has been the best thing!

Going home to visit in a few months but not to stay, hoping to stay world nomads for a while or head to Vancouver to those beautiful mountains.

During our short nomadic time we’ve learnt that it’s important to find a comfortable working space in order to actually get any work done.

Hello everyone! My name is Mallory and I just became a nomad at the beginning of June.

The transition hasn’t been too difficult work wise as I own 3 companies which I was already running remotely in my home country (Canada), while my husband and I lived in California the past two years as he finished his PhD at UCDavis. We have a 9 month old daughter so our travel plans are going to be a little different then most nomads I read about. We’ve been in Miami this past month and are about to head out to hit up a bunch of different places over the next few weeks in the US, Caribbean and Europe. After we get this whirlwind of sightseeing out of our system we’re planning to settle into a routine of spending 6 to 12 weeks in a city then moving on (longer stays being more practical with a baby in tow)! We don’t plan to head home until we’re ready to have baby #2, and even then we hope to incorporate frequent travel into our longterm life plan :slight_smile:

I’m loving the lifestyle so far and have been using the opportunity to rid myself of attachments in all areas of life and work on bettering myself. I’ve found not being location dependent really makes it easier for me to look inward and see what’s really going on - when I don’t have all the distractions (or excuses) that I do at home. I’ve been working on ridding myself of things that weren’t making me happy, little obsessions, unhealthy habits, and so on. Not only am I on a journey of a lifetime but I’m using this as an opportunity for self growth, mentally, physically and spiritually. It’s too easy to neglect self-care when you travel or work a lot - be sure to make time for it!

I’m glad to have found this forum and hope we can connect with some of you IRL! We’ll be hopping around Europe for about 4 months, hitting up California/Florida/Canada over the winter holidays then plan to hop over to Thailand and area sometime in Jan/Feb.

where are you from?
… I was from Germany and it’s still the provider of my passport. And I am going there to see family. But that’s about it …

how long have you been away from home?
… Home is where I sleep, so kind of never. But most people would expect me to answer this with 20+ years

what do you do?
… short version: Looking for the best place in the world
… medium-long version: expanding my business and at the same time giving other people the chance to do the same, which is making money while you travel without working too much … it’s possible - finally :smile:
… long version: see my profile

where are you currently?
… London - yes, I know - boring.

where are you going?
… Probably Malaysia (Labuan)
or Sydney

what have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
… That having too much stuff is very heavy. So I am limiting myself to around 25kg but I often leave thing behind, in case I come back “… Ich hab noch einen Koffer in Berlin …” that kind of thing :wink:

Ok let’s do this.

• what’s your name?

Hi my name is Oskar.

• where are you from?

Gothenburg, Sweden

• how long have you been away from home?

I’m in sweden right now - crashing at my folks though don’t have an apartment anymore. Went here to meetup with some customers. I started nomading january 2016, spent a half year in asia. (th,vn,my,ph,tw,jp,hk,sg,kh)

• what do you do?

Software developer

• where are you currently?

Båstad, Sweden

• where are you going?

I’m heading out to Willemstad, Curacao next monday. Plan to stay there maybe for a month then head down to Medellin and onwards. My goal is to end up in Uruguay somewhere around november-december.

• what has been memorable for you so far?

Getting shaved by a strange philippine woman who didnt like my beard.

• what have you learnt during your time as a nomad?

Don’t get shitfaced in Roppongi

How did you get on bringing Max back to Australia? Is it still one month quarantine?

Just asking out of curiosity more than anything. Ten days is good. It was a three month min at one stage.

Hey, my name is Jeff Donnelley, I’m from San Francisco originally, but now live in San Diego, California. I travel periodically for business throughout the USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, UK, Europe, China, Papua New Guinea, Australia, The Caribbean…And I’m looking for more.
I’ve been away from San Francisco for 20+ years.
I’ll be in Costa Rica again soon.
So far, Papua New Guinea and China were the most memorable places I have worked thus far.
I don’t really plan on returning home except to visit family and friends. San Diego has been a great place to be a nomad. Plenty of bountain biking, surfing, diving, golfing, hiking, etc! This place is pretty awesome.
I would love to use my experience with marketing and advertising to help other businesses succeed. LMK!

Hello,

My name is Kye. I’m 41 years old. I’m single, and raising a 10 year old daughter. I’m a building contractor in Berkeley California. I’ve lived in Thailand on and off for the last six years. Although I have had some success, (for a multitude of reasons) it has been extremely difficult running a business and raising a daughter in California while living part time in Thailand. At present, I believe it is not viable. Therefore, my goal is to learn a new skill that would allow me to live in SE Asia and work online bringing in western wages. I have roughly 8 years to make this happen.

I have spent all of my free time over the last year or so learning computer science (C, Python, some front end web dev, and InfoSec). To be honest, I’m not sure I’m cut out for it.

Of more recent, I’ve been delving into architectural design and modeling. Anyone else on here making it in the architecture realm? I’ve just been doing simple permit drawings, and 3d models for architects to present to their clients for concept etc.

Anyway, that seems to be enough about me. There seems to be a wealth of info on here from some cool people living there dreams. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.
Cheers,
Kye

Hello all My name is Harvey and with Tatiana are running Magicville, the first Coworking and Coliving Space in Bogota Colombia. In this nice place people from different parts of the world can have an intercultural experience that empowers the creation, development, & production of their startup ideas or having a nice place to live and work while they travel. Our goal is to create an environment that fosters small enterprises, freelancers and Digita Nomads. We strive to make it all come together by creating a family-like community in one of Bogota’s most central locations, giving people the social support, convenience, & affordability they need to turn a dream into reality.

We have a lot of different options for travellers and also different ways to pay the stay, from working as a volunteer to bitcoin payments.

if you want to read more about us check https://magicville.co

Magicville - Make It Come Alive.

what’s your name? Nicole
where are you from? Oregon, USA
how long have you been away from home? 1 Year
what do you do? I support Medical Software.
where are you currently? Sayulita, Mexico
where are you going? No idea!
what has been memorable for you so far? Surfing the Pacific coast.
will you go home anytime soon? I have been going back every 3-4 months for a quick visit.
what have you learnt during your time as a nomad? To just try whatever I’m interested.

We are coliving house business in San Francisco.
www.hacknsleep.com

Hey :slight_smile:
My name is Michael Lakhia
I was born in Canada and grew up in the city of Montreal.

Most recently I held the title of Software Developer @ a known technology company. We shipped a web + mobile + desktop (‘cloud’) software security product. I was a technical lead on some large javascript components, and helped build various Android components. I got there through an acquihire, which was a great experience. After 2 years under the new corporate umbrella with limited vacation time and no option for remote work, it was time to move on.

Before joining that startup I spent 5+ years doing web development, with an included 2+ doing mobile, both native iOS and Android. Mostly freelance and agency employment.

I decided I need to fulfill this feeling of wanderlust that has yet to elude me. So I decided to quit at the end of June and bought a plane ticket. Since then I’ve slowly started preparing for working location-independent. Got rid of the apartment, sold furniture, stored other possessions, and shifted my lifestyle to living out of a backpack in a guest room.

I’m landing in Bangkok in the last couple of days of July. I’m currently consulting for a startup and doing the odd debugging/security job that comes my way. I have no real plan past the first week or two, and I have the 6 month multiple entry visa. I know that I want to get PADI certified, and live on a beach for a little while. So I’ll be headed to Koh Tao first.

Hello all,

My name is Ryan Delafosse.

I’m a 27 year old Cajun from Texas. I’ve been away from home for over 10 years now, mostly in the Middle East and North Africa.

I create IM systems and GIS maps for humanitarian organizations, usually ones involved in the Syria Crisis. Its been pretty tiring so I decided last year to do it somewhere less stressful.

Currently in Beirut but head to Spain in 2 weeks!

Hey!

I’m Thomas, a 19-years old developer. I’m passionate about education, and especially about building software for education, which is why I started Scholica.

I’m Dutch, but have lived in London for the past year. Will be moving to Amsterdam in a few weeks, which hopefully will be my starting point for traveling and working in more places throughout the world.